Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-24-2019 11:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Need help Having problem keeping food down.

This might be too much information, but I throw up sometimes. I even threw up water before. About me....gastric sleeve almost 4 months ago. Lost 80 lbs so far, but my weight loss has frozen for about 3 weeks now. I wasn't throwing up until about 6 weeks ago. Eating just causes discomfort now. I'm eating less and less everyday because I'm terrified of feeling ill for about an hour afterward or throwing up after I eat.

I was tested for the H. Pylori bacteria pre-surgery, but my biopsy after the surgery said I have it. My next appointment they are giving me the antibiotics to cure it. I'm not sure if it's the bacteria reeking havoc or something else. My prelabs before surgery were perfect, not one high or low thing, my 1 month showed raised AST and ALT, but now my labs for the 3 month show low nuetrophil and high lymphocyte and still the raised AST and ALT.

I do have a doctor's appointment late next week, but I don't have a whole bunch of confidence in my doctor. It's a long story. Anyone had anything like this before? Is it just the H. Pylori causing issues or could there be more going on?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help Having problem keeping food down.

I have already had a slightly touch stomach...and post sleeve, I do experience throwing up. Sometimes its just toad-froth, sometimes its most of what I ate.

What I have narrowed it down to is "too fast". If I eat too fast, if I drink more than 4 ounces at a time. Up it comes. I do not eat and drink at the sme meal. When I am nervous my stomach gets unsettled so its a self perpetuation thing - I get stressed, I get queasy. So if you are anxious about eating, that may be factoring in.

The other item is anything with any amount of visible oil. That could sauteed vegatables, a bite of a potato chip, yes a bite. I have developed a fear of even tasting a french frie becuase I know it would be bad. I'm not saying you are eating badly, but if you are tracking, you can look back to what you had when you were sick and see a pattern.

Also, some folks become lactose intolerant after the sleeve. I am not. And as long as I eat slowly, like 8 ouces total food over 45 minutes, I'm fine.

Hope something helps!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you. I'm going to try and slow down

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I had H Pylori when they did my endoscopy pre op. Took the antibiotics and no issues but I did not have any kind of symptoms prior to knowing I had the bacteria. As for throwing up, I also throw up if I eat too much or too fast. I had to train myself to slow down. Slowing down also allows me to register the full signals. I still once in a while get greedy and go too fast and I am over 2 years post op. It takes practice to live a sleeved life but it is well worth it. As for eating too little that can be a recipe for disaster and more likely to have issues. I would work on getting in enough nutrients. You have to give yourself plenty of time to eat and remember not to drink with your meals. At four months it is still difficult. You are a work in progress. Hang in there. I promise this will be worth it.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I went really slow today and it is helping. I appreciate the advice.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Could you switch doctors? It seems a little odd that the throwing up started up after losing 80 pounds. (If it happens to people it's more common early on).

I have no medical advice, hope your doctor can help. It can be serious, so be sure you get answers.

12. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I also had H. Pylori bacteria before surgery. I haven't been tested post surgery for it but I'm 2 years out and throw up a lot. I also have GERD and take a prilosec every morning and night. I find that the type of food I eat is more important to me than the speed I eat and I can't drink anything with food.. I have to drink first then wait 15 minutes and then eat or I throw up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Slower is good, might also keep track of what you ate when you get it. For example it took me 10 months to be able to eat salad without rumbles. Everyone seems to have something that they take a long time to tolerate or never do. Might spend some times isolating anything that might be triggering it.