Surgeon
    Dr Nathan Tomita
    Last Activity
    03-29-2019 01:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii

I have just had a gastric sleeve done on Feb 12th. I'm 63 years of age and weigh 213 at 5'0.5 inches. The left side of my belly hurts a lot when standing or walking. I was told that's where they removed the stomach so it was bruised and in a week or so the pain will subside. Pain meds didn't help much and even though i cut one in half it still felt like it was stuck when I swallowed so I am just winging it. I sit I walk around I lay down. Trying to drink the fluids very hard to do also but doing my best. I made the decision to have this done due to my getting older and not able to exercise due to back and knee problems. Hoping that taking off a bunch of weight will ease the joints so i can go back to the gym like I did 10 years ago.

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 15 users said welcome Paradiseldy to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii

You will be thrilled with your decision, but those early days aren't much fun for some people. I was lucky, only took my pain meds for a day or two. I would nap a lot if you can, then walk a little and work on meeting your protein and fluid goals. I napped in my recliner as it was easier to get into than my bed. Every day will get better!

I'm 62 and was sleeved 5 years ago. I don't feel 62, I feel like I can do anything. Just had a girl I graduated from high school with move into a retirement community and thought thank God that is not me. Love my sleeve!

OMG I wish I was in Hawaii. We are having the worst winter in decades!! I don't think the kids have had a full week of school since Thanksgiving. Glad I just retired or I would be teaching well into summer.

Best of luck to you!

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the group. I'm 65 and 16 months out from my sleeve. The first weeks were walk, sip, walk, sip,NAP....repeat. But about day 10 I felt pretty dangood, and while sometimes boring, the stages of puree, and smooshed food until regular food goes pretty quickly.

Lots of health issues quickly resolved post surgery, way sooner than I expected. Keep coming to the board!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    11-03-2019 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Ahhh, to be writing this from Hawaii instead of the Northeast!!

I had my sleeve done on Feb 5th in Boston and guess I’m one of the lucky ones - no major pain after surgery just very sore and very very tired the first 4 days. I came home with instructions to take Tylenol as needed and also had a prescription for pain meds that I never had filled. In fact, I never needed to take Tylenol either. I do have a high pain threshold and hate swallowing pills so I’m guessing I’m just one of those weird people that pushes through discomfort to avoid taking meds. Funny that now I’ll be taking daily vitamins for the rest of my life but small price to pay to be healthier and off (hopefully) high blood pressure meds etc. I followed my doctor’s orders to the “T” and referred to this site for much needed moral support especially during those first days. If your pain continues or increases in intensity - do not hesitate to contact your doctor or get checked out at your local emergency room. Everyone is different and can react very differently to surgery so please be cognizant of that and be good to yourself!

I just began the smooth food stage (3A) with Greek yogurt and puréed foods and still working to get in my water requirements. Nice to have something other than protein shakes although still having one every morning for breakfast. Next week I go to the doctors and hoping for the scale to show my first positive results - already one pair of my jeans are definitely loose around my midsection so excited to see what the scale says.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated on your progress!

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Paradise. I hope you are feeling better. It does get easier each day. Hang in there.

12. Said thanks:

13. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You'll do great! Every day gets easier, promise. But don't just "try" to get in your fluids, do it. Sip every waking moment. You don't want to end up back in the hospital with dehydration.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

It takes a bit of getting used to in the beginning but as long as you follow your surgeons instructions and as has been said above, concentrate on getting your fluids/protein in you will be fine. This week nap when you can, walk as far and as often as you can, and sip that water all the time.
    Every day it just gets better and better and before you know it your clothes will be too big, you will be feeling more energetic and your new life will be "normal" for you.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Yvonne
    Surgery date
    05/01/2019
    Surgeon
    Illan
    Last Activity
    06-29-2019 04:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Aloha,
    I'm in Kona, too! How is your recovery? Would you mind if I PM you? My son wants to have the sleeve by Dr. Tomita so Id like to ask you a few questions. My surgery is in Mexico on May 1st which is approaching quickly! Anyway, best wishes for your exciting journey.