Dr. Wells
    Last Activity
    02-17-2019 09:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Can’t decide

I want the loose skin and stubborn fat gone around my tummy area. My VSG was a year and half ago. I’m not quite at my goal, but very happy with my success and would extremely happy with where I am weight wise now except this floppy belly from where I loss the weight. I have a consult scheduled in a couple of months to remove it, but I can’t decide which one I want. I think it would be better to have the surgery that doesn’t involve tightening the muscles- recovery time for that would have to be MUCH faster. But I don’t want to be unhappy with myself if you can visibly see your muscles torn apart under the skin either. (Would you even be able to see that?). Does anyone have any experience with this that could give me some amswers? I have had two kids via C-Section and a total open hysterectomy, so I’m sure the dr is going to try to push for muscle repair...but I want to be informed before I go in for the consult. Anyone have pictures of a tummy tuck with no muscle repair? What’s the difference in panni and abdominoplasty? I original thought one was with muscle repair and one was without...now I just don’t know!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can’t decide

I had several consults for a tummy tuck with different surgeons. I also had C-sections and since I had several muscle injuries, I was convinced that I would need the muscle repair, but several surgeons said it was not needed!I was surprised! (they made me do specific movements to check my muscles)

So far since I had a bad experience last Summer with my arm lift, I'm actually not considering the tummy tuck any longer. But from I was told, any open abdomen surgery will require at least 4 weeks of down time, no matter what the muscle situation is. From what I was told, muscle repair (or not) didn't really impact the sick leave.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

When you go for a consultation, the doctor will check to see if you need muscle repair. From what I've seen, the panni does not do the same thing that a full tummy tuck would do. I recommend you go on Facebook. There are many boards there on this topic.

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I don't know, all I know is I attended 2 seminars by plastic surgeons and both said to wait one year after reaching your goal weight before having the surgery.

I never did it, their photos scared me to death. Being sliced hip to hip didn't look fun. I worried about the risk of infection, and I also didn't want to put a hold on my life for a month or more to recover.

I would call to see if you can get a free consultation and get your questions answered before making any decisions.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

I had said from the beginning... I would not not want to do a tummy tuck, breast lift, etc.... I was more concerned about losing the weight back then. And the weight I did lose.

Well, it will be two years since my surgery next month and I am seriously considering 'going for it ' now. I have lost 113 pounds and look great in clothing. But the skin that sags at my abdomen and the breasts that head to the sidewalk more so than ever , truly bother me. A friend of mine that I met after my surgery, had her surgery 2 months before me, and she had a tummy tuck, breast implants and her arms done all on the same day last March. She said it was rough and that the arms were the worst. Her scars on the arms scare me and she was out of commission for 6 weeks. She is 32... and I am 61 so I kind of worry about my recovery and how it will go. I do not want implants. I want a lift but I don't think there's enough of anything inside to lift... maybe they can use an implant with my fat they remove?

I've watched the videos of the surgery and it makes me ill to think of that going on, but I feel like I have come so far and would like my clothing to fit better, and not cringe when I see a thin body in the mirror now, but it's all so saggy and 'sad' looking. Decisions, decisions.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member astallons's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wells
    Last Activity
    02-17-2019 09:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I swore from the beginning that if I could just get the weight off that would be enough for me...that I wasn’t that vain to have to have a tummy tuck or anything afterwards. I was going for health not looks. But now I feel like I have come so far and get disgusted by the skin flop that I am considering it more and more. (Btw, definitely not saying everyone that has the tummy tuck or any other lift procedures are vain...it was just my mindset at the time that for me it wouldn’t be right). I just want the extra flop from the belly gone. I am proud of my accomplishments of sticking to this and losing the weight and I feel like I would enjoy the reward of being in a body that I’m proud of and should have never allowed myself to get to the point I was in in the first place. But man, my recovery from the sleeve surgery was awful and it scares me that the panni surgery will be worse. I keep telling myself that if they don’t touch the muscles that it shouldn’t be so awful of a recovery. But from what I have heard, either surgery recovery will be about the same. I think I will take the advice from the my gastric sleeve doctor and just at least go to a concur to see what they say. Maybe there are other options for me??? Good luck with your continued journey!!!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

After I lost weight a lot of areas on my body looked like a deflated balloon. My friend and I called them "wrunkles".
    I had plastic reconstructive surgery - arms, abdminoplasty, belt lipectomy.
    My blog is on http://www.bandingtogether.com.au *Note* contains graphic images.

No regrets.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I think there is a great deal to consider - health, first; cost, second (for me any way) and then outcome. At 66 with other health issues that make a long surgery that is elective probably not the wisest choice I would not do it. I've had repair for a double mastectomy and it was a dreadful wounding, but then again, cancer always is. I've also had abdominal surgeries for colon cancer, and 4 c/sec so I know the muscles have been cut through.

For me the test was putting on a swim suit. And dang, it looked way better than I expected. Yes, if I had an American flag on my upper arm and waved at you, it might keep waving. But for me it met none of the 3 above - not a good health choice, way to much money, and dubious about how much the outcome would enrich my life, which post - sleeve is pretty darn awesome.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I had a tummy tuck and breast lift/augmentation about 10 years ago when I weighed 125 lbs. it was around $12,000. This was long before I started gaining the 100 pounds that led to my sleeve surgery.

It looks a lot worse than it actually was. I don't think it was any more painful than the sleeve surgery honestly. I am thrilled with the results. I was terrified how it would look after I started losing weight after the sleeve but I'm down 32 pounds and my stomach is flattening out just great. I'm working on my love handles, but they are coming off with exercise.

If you have a good, qualified Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you have a wonderful chance at a successful outcome. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Surgery date
    12/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Roberts
    Last Activity
    06-11-2019 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

it is a big decision. not for me! the only place I want to lose more weight is in my stomach and "that aint happenin" LOL
    I don't mind sagging arms, it is better than big fat arms like I had. I am having tummy tuck/breast reduction (NO IMPLANTS) on June 26th and couldn't be happier. insurance is paying for reduction and I am paying for tt. I have terrible back, neck and shoulder pain from carrying around all this weight and want to move on with my life.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mem2222 View Post
    it is a big decision. not for me! the only place I want to lose more weight is in my stomach and "that aint happenin" LOL
    I don't mind sagging arms, it is better than big fat arms like I had. I am having tummy tuck/breast reduction (NO IMPLANTS) on June 26th and couldn't be happier. insurance is paying for reduction and I am paying for tt. I have terrible back, neck and shoulder pain from carrying around all this weight and want to move on with my life.
    Congrats, I think you will be so thrilled. I had mine mainly because of a pregnancy weight gain of 75 pounds which stretched my naturally thin skin out terribly. Even though I lost the baby weight right away, I still had the sagging pouch. I hated it. I'm like you in that I can handle a little arm or thigh flab, I'm working on toning those areas as much as I can with weights and exercise, but there is NOTHING that can get rid of the excess stretched skin except TT.

Best of luck to you, super excited for you and I know you'll be pleased.

Surgery date
    12/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Roberts
    Last Activity
    06-11-2019 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thank you so much :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member EnglishGentleman's Avatar
    Name
    Michael
    Surgery date
    04/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Mr Carter
    Last Activity
    02-17-2023 03:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Go for it, I did and although painful I am happy with the result

Surgery date
    01/31/2021
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jessica Milton
    Last Activity
    01-11-2023 07:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also heard this somewhere. That the body weight need to remain the same, to perform a surgery like this.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who are you people, and why are you here posting a bunch of nonsense on old posts? Shoo shoo with you!
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114