Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Starting Over

  1. #1
    Gastric Sleeve Member butterflybecca's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Becca
    Surgery date
    11/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Boghossian
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Activity
    04-09-2019 10:19 PM
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    152
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Starting Over

    Hello all,

    I joined this support site back in November 2011. The month I had my surgery. I had great success with it. Went from 224 down to 135. 2 years later, I had a horrible asthma attack that required two rounds of prednisone. This caused me to eat a great deal and gained about 15 lbs in two weeks! Since then, I've been off track and eventually gained weight back. I'm now 197lbs.

    I'm in much physical pain and know I need this weight off. I'm awaiting to see if I'm approved for a second surgery. Has anyone been in my shoes? I'm feeling very icky at what I've allowed myself to do to myself. Self indulgance, eating until I'm sick, binge eating because I'm so depressed. I'm 50 years old and want to find my smile again. It's not about looks for me, it's about being physical and having energy to enjoy my three grandbabies ages 9, 5 and 4 mos.

    Hugs to all.
    <a href="https://lilyslim.com/"><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/6AlxEHa.jpg" width="60" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim - Personal picture" /><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/6Alxm8.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim Weight loss tickers" /></a>

  2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  3. #2
    Gastric Sleeve Member Pudsley's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Activity
    08-13-2019 04:23 AM
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    229
    Said "Thanks" 139 Times
    Was Thanked 160 Times in 100 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Hello,

    You have the courage and I empathise with your circumstances.

    I am interested in how or what they may do a second operation for you.
    Could you tell me more, please?

    Are you talking about the same operation a sleeve?

    Or something else?
    I look forward to following your story.
    I am so very sorry that you were unwell and this resulted in the regain.
    Asthma is very serious and I can't imagine how awful that must have been for you.
    Wishing You well and please stay on here for the golden support of a wonderful bunch of caring people.
    I marvel at the time that people put on to this forum as their insight is always so valuable and always provides some variety to the endless questions that we all have from time to time.
    I am hoping someone can give you the answer to your question - I really hope so.
    Its a great question by the way!



  4. Said thanks:


  5. #3
    Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieG's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Activity
    Today 10:05 AM
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,213
    Said "Thanks" 2,946 Times
    Was Thanked 957 Times in 621 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 182 Times
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflybecca View Post
    Hello all,

    I joined this support site back in November 2011. The month I had my surgery. I had great success with it. Went from 224 down to 135. 2 years later, I had a horrible asthma attack that required two rounds of prednisone. This caused me to eat a great deal and gained about 15 bls in two weeks! Since then, I've been off track and eventually gaiined weight back. I'm now 197lbs.

    I'm in much physical pain and know I need this weight off. I'm awaiiting to see if I'm approved for a second surgery. Has anyone been in my shoes? I'm feeling very icky at what I've allowed myself to do to myself. Self indulgance, eating until I'm sick, binge eating because I'm so depressed. I'm 50 years old and want to find my smile again. It's not about looks for me, it's about being physical and having some energy to enjoy my three grandbabies ages 9, 5 and 4 mos.

    Hugs to all.
    I am sorry you are feeling both discouraged and depressed. Medically, chronic health issues do trigger depression and severe asthma would certainly qualify. Which is to say, it is NOT a character flaw if you are depressed, its a chemical response by the brain. Have you discussed with your primary care an anti depressant (or changing what you are currently on)? I continued with my meds post VSG, but in December this year, it was no longer working and I crashed into depression. New med is about a month on-board, and no more depression.

    If you have a counselor/psychologist/pastor/trusted friend, consider talking out some of your issues; if you don't many of us journal which helps clarify the why of how we are feeling. Tracking my food helps - not only do I feel more in control, I've found if I do indulge in a bit ofo "sweet" or high carb (not overeat) I still get emotional bumpy road. Apparently it doesn't take much.

    I'm glad you're back here and reaching out! Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing
    [I]HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs

    1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4
    3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL)
    1 YR = 122.0 20 MO = 130.0

  6. Said thanks:


  7. #4
    Gastric Sleeve Member butterflybecca's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Becca
    Surgery date
    11/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Boghossian
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Activity
    04-09-2019 10:19 PM
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    152
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Good morning Carla and thank you for your time and your encouragement. Yes, I'm hoping to get the same surgery done. It worked so well for me. I've been a heavy girl my whole life and had the initial surgery because I needed foot reconstructive surgery which required at least a 50lb loss. Exercising agressively has been a challenge most of my life due to asthma and now with age, chronic pain.

    I will definitely keep you posted on what progresses. Currently, the Bariatric department is having me do blood work and have an upper GI scheduled for Feb 22. We'll see what happens after.

    I'm so happy to be back in this support group! I was using it daily in the beginning. There's always time to start again right? Congrats to you on your weight loss! Very happy for you!!!

    Have a fabulous day!
    Becca
    Ripon, CA

    How are you doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pudsley View Post
    Hello,

    You have the courage and I empathise with your circumstances.

    I am interested in how or what they may do a second operation for you.
    Could you tell me more, please?

    Are you talking about the same operation a sleeve?

    Or something else?
    I look forward to following your story.
    I am so very sorry that you were unwell and this resulted in the regain.
    Asthma is very serious and I can't imagine how awful that must have been for you.
    Wishing You well and please stay on here for the golden support of a wonderful bunch of caring people.
    I marvel at the time that people put on to this forum as their insight is always so valuable and always provides some variety to the endless questions that we all have from time to time.
    I am hoping someone can give you the answer to your question - I really hope so.
    Its a great question by the way!
    <a href="https://lilyslim.com/"><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/6AlxEHa.jpg" width="60" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim - Personal picture" /><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/6Alxm8.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim Weight loss tickers" /></a>

  8. Said thanks:


  9. #5
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandra3's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 06:12 AM
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,341
    Said "Thanks" 279 Times
    Was Thanked 1,053 Times in 741 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 473 Times
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Hi Becca,

    I'm 3 years out, and my asthma became out of control since November 2018.
    Long story short, I had some issues also at 2 years (January 2018), it got better, then in November it became so bad that I had a scan to make sure i was not having serious issues on top of asthma, then a hiatal hernia was discovered, which explained a lot.
    I spent one week in hospital in January, had lost of tests and I'm currently waiting for a date for a surgery to repair the hernia.....and also for my asthma to improve, because I'm in no condition to get a surgery right now.

    Endoscopy did show my hernia is rolling (seems it's the worth version) and PHmetry that the acid level is the highest possible. Reflux is a big trigger for asthma.
    Indeed, I also had several rounds of cortisone like you (January 2018, then from Oct 2018 to Dec 2018 and at the end my specialist just put me on even stronger inhaler) and I'm gaining weight each week. Avoiding the scale again...
    The multiple tests did show my stomach pouch is still small so I will just go back to exercise when I can breeze normally, with a balanced diet it should go back to normal as it did several times since the sleeve. But this time I gained much more (over 20 pounds) so it might take a few months.

    I was offered to have a bypass to make sure my reflux would be gone for good, but I declined.(my IBS and bypass wouldn't be a good match)
    I think the repair should be enough in my case. But it's been a long journey since October.

    I hope you will find the help you need.
    Take care


    HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

  10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  11. #6
    Gastric Sleeve Member Pudsley's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Activity
    08-13-2019 04:23 AM
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    229
    Said "Thanks" 139 Times
    Was Thanked 160 Times in 100 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflybecca View Post
    Good morning Carla and thank you for your time and your encouragement. Yes, I'm hoping to get the same surgery done. It worked so well for me. I've been a heavy girl my whole life and had the initial surgery because I needed foot reconstructive surgery which required at least a 50lb loss. Exercising agressively has been a challenge most of my life due to asthma and now with age, chronic pain.

    I will definitely keep you posted on what progresses. Currently, the Bariatric department is having me do blood work and have an upper GI scheduled for Feb 22. We'll see what happens after.

    I'm so happy to be back in this support group! I was using it daily in the beginning. There's always time to start again right? Congrats to you on your weight loss! Very happy for you!!!

    Have a fabulous day!
    Becca
    Ripon, CA

    How are you doing?

    I am Doing really good Thank You.
    Nearly at my 12 month stage and all is very good.

    The hunger is back though not so good! But.. I will continue forwards making sure I am writing everything down and chosing the protein and salads etc.

    Well, I am delighted to hear that this is on the table for you.
    Not too long to wait for the 22 of February I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    Yes please Do! let me know how you are doing.

    I am supporting you on this journey to have a second operation.
    I do understand how you might feel now and before when you had the sleeve so I hope that your motivation to do this will be actualised by those that can make it happeen for you.

    This is exciting and I am so pleased that you are starting your journey its not long until the 22.

    Great news please let us know how you get on I shall be thinking of you.
    x



  12. Said thanks:


  13. #7
    Gastric Sleeve Member sraebaer's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/07/2013
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Activity
    08-04-2019 11:18 AM
    Posts
    4,121
    Said "Thanks" 910 Times
    Was Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 134 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Has anyone EVER been approved for a second sleeve surgery? I can't imagine insurance paying for that. Would a 2nd surgery cure you of your "Self indulgence, eating until I'm sick, or binge eating?" You don't need another surgery, you need to get back to healthy sleeve eating, with perhaps help from a therapist. I would guess you still have restriction if you eat how a sleeve patient should eat, protein first, veggies, then good carbs if room. I'm 5 years out and have restriction.

    "Life" always happens, and we have been so conditioned to deal with any difficulties with food. We have to learn not to make excuses. I do it too, in the past five years I've broken my neck, lost my mom after a very long ordeal, and even blamed Christmas for my extra pounds. That's crazy. I need to blame me, what I choose to put in my mouth.

    I too am struggling with weight gain (13 pounds since summer), and realize the further you get out the more difficult it gets to maintain. So I feel your pain. I am getting back to the basics and continuing with my exercising. We can do it!




  14. #8
    Gastric Sleeve Member butterflybecca's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Becca
    Surgery date
    11/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Boghossian
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Activity
    04-09-2019 10:19 PM
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    152
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Hi AnnieG and thank you for your reply and encouragement. I've suffered from depression my whole life. Abusive alchoholic family and such, bla bla and then post partum after both babies that never truly went away. I am under psychiatric care and take medication as well as participate in therapy. Thank you so much for your advice. I've also had asthma since I was a baby. I've finally made it through two consecutive years asthma attack free! Right now, I'm on the brink but refuse to have an attack so keeping self from coughing and clearing throat. NO way I'm taking prednisone.
    So your mental health meds stopped working for you a year post op? Would you mind sharing what you take? I take effexor.

    Very happy you've found some relief from the new med. Have you sufferred from depression for very long? Depression is so very life sucking.

    Thank you for the reminder of keeping a food log. I completely forgot about such an important tool. I'll begin tomorrow. Today I did some yoga which was hard but felt fabulous after (many stops in between lol).

    Thank you again and you look fabulous! You look healthy and lively.

    Best Wishes,
    Becca
    <a href="https://lilyslim.com/"><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/6AlxEHa.jpg" width="60" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim - Personal picture" /><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/6Alxm8.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim Weight loss tickers" /></a>

  15. #9
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandra3's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 06:12 AM
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,341
    Said "Thanks" 279 Times
    Was Thanked 1,053 Times in 741 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 473 Times
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Has anyone EVER been approved for a second sleeve surgery? I can't imagine insurance paying for that. Would a 2nd surgery cure you of your "Self indulgence, eating until I'm sick, or binge eating?" You don't need another surgery, you need to get back to healthy sleeve eating, with perhaps help from a therapist. I would guess you still have restriction if you eat how a sleeve patient should eat, protein first, veggies, then good carbs if room. I'm 5 years out and have restriction.

    "Life" always happens, and we have been so conditioned to deal with any difficulties with food. We have to learn not to make excuses. I do it too, in the past five years I've broken my neck, lost my mom after a very long ordeal, and even blamed Christmas for my extra pounds. That's crazy. I need to blame me, what I choose to put in my mouth.

    I too am struggling with weight gain (13 pounds since summer), and realize the further you get out the more difficult it gets to maintain. So I feel your pain. I am getting back to the basics and continuing with my exercising. We can do it!

    International protocols do show that several surgeries might be necessary to get an obese patient "out of the wood". Indeed they will need to comply with lots of exams and get approval from the shrink. And be able to show that they can follow guidelines and eat "healthy". But at the end, studies do show its cheaper to get them several surgeries instead of dealing with all comorbidities if no obesity treatment is done.
    In France people can get approved for up to 3 surgeries, going from band to sleeve, then bypass.

    During my week in hospital, I had a few very interesting talks with the specialist (nutritionist) managing my ward.
    She told me that I was an exception, because she could see I was gaining from the asthma medications (I gained in hospital eating almost nothing, we had to jump on the scale every two days so she knew) but also that my BMR was at 1700 cal and I was eating less than 1400...so indeed it's not making sens, but I know that for a long time now..

    One of my test was made to make sure of the size of my stomach pouch. Mine is still small (210 ml) but she told me some patients came back with a 1 LITER pouch!!! from eating so much and pushing food, the stomach can expand a lot.

    So there is several ways to look at things. But blaming yourself will just stress you more. You already had a hard year, dealing with losing a loved one is one of the worth stress, and we know how stress is bad for our weight!!.
    Being sick with your neck broken ....I wonder what kind of pain medication you took? or antibiotics??

    Because for sure, when our intestine microbiota is damaged (medication or disease), we can expect to gain weight. And it can trigger food cravings too (indeed we crave for carbs not greens!). Or even change in our hormonal balance.

    I took a Master class a few months ago about the macriobiota. Links are clear between obesity and macrobiota issues. But it's actually less clear how to improve the macrobiota, because so far pre and probiotics (in supplements) are not proven to be the solution.
    But I think it's worth trying to add it to your diet. I do. I can see little improvement, but as soon as I go back to cortisone or the dosage is increased, it's back to square one.
    Since you already have a balanced diet, you probably already eat well, but just to make sure prebiotics (-raw- onions, garlic, asparagus, banana etc) and probiotics (Greek yogurt, all dairy with fermentation, but the best one is fermented cabbage) are part of your daily diet.
    I try to use more supplements because many of those kind of food make me sick (IBS) so it's tricky to eat kimchi knowing it would be good for my guts, but too much could make me sick for 2 days

    And indeed I know I'm responsible for gaining at list 3 or 4 pounds because of too much chocolate during Xmas, but what the heck, I was already gaining without eating anything wrong, I just needed my chocolate and do know sugar is not the best since it will give me a pick in my glycemia, then when I'm in hypo I'm starving. I did stop it with eating protein. But at least I had some lovely chocolate....


    HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

  16. Said thanks:


  17. #10
    Gastric Sleeve Member butterflybecca's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Becca
    Surgery date
    11/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Boghossian
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Activity
    04-09-2019 10:19 PM
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    152
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Has anyone EVER been approved for a second sleeve surgery? I can't imagine insurance paying for that. Would a 2nd surgery cure you of your "Self indulgence, eating until I'm sick, or binge eating?" You don't need another surgery, you need to get back to healthy sleeve eating, with perhaps help from a therapist. I would guess you still have restriction if you eat how a sleeve patient should eat, protein first, veggies, then good carbs if room. I'm 5 years out and have restriction.

    "Life" always happens, and we have been so conditioned to deal with any difficulties with food. We have to learn not to make excuses. I do it too, in the past five years I've broken my neck, lost my mom after a very long ordeal, and even blamed Christmas for my extra pounds. That's crazy. I need to blame me, what I choose to put in my mouth.

    I too am struggling with weight gain (13 pounds since summer), and realize the further you get out the more difficult it gets to maintain. So I feel your pain. I am getting back to the basics and continuing with my exercising. We can do it!
    Damn girl, no holds barred - THank you! Seriously. It's true, I've had the tools all along and allowed this to happen. It's harder than I'd ever imagined. I realized how addicted to food I am at night time really. Eating during the day is easy peasy lemon squeezie, but night eating is my downfall. Add the excruitiating pain to keeping me awake makes for much time on my hands with nothing else to keep me busy except eating, TV, reading or browsing on the internet.
    I'm 50 and have been a life time binger. I come from a long line of addicts - theirs is drugs and alchohol, mine is night time eating. I worry because I gain weight so fricken easily and like I said, the pain prevents good exercise. I walk around house (big open space) and began my yoga yesterday again. I don't know if they'll approve another surgery. We'll see.
    Nip that gain in the bud sister. 13 lbs can easily turn into much more. You're looking great and hope you feel the same
    Becca
    <a href="https://lilyslim.com/"><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/6AlxEHa.jpg" width="60" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim - Personal picture" /><img src="https://swlf.lilyslim.com/6Alxm8.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="LilySlim Weight loss tickers" /></a>

  18. Said thanks:


  19. #11
    Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieG's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Activity
    Today 10:05 AM
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,213
    Said "Thanks" 2,946 Times
    Was Thanked 957 Times in 621 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 182 Times
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflybecca View Post
    Hi AnnieG and thank you for your reply and encouragement. I've suffered from depression my whole life. Abusive alchoholic family and such, bla bla and then post partum after both babies that never truly went away. I am under psychiatric care and take medication as well as participate in therapy. Thank you so much for your advice. I've also had asthma since I was a baby. I've finally made it through two consecutive years asthma attack free! Right now, I'm on the brink but refuse to have an attack so keeping self from coughing and clearing throat. NO way I'm taking prednisone.
    So your mental health meds stopped working for you a year post op? Would you mind sharing what you take? I take effexor.

    Very happy you've found some relief from the new med. Have you sufferred from depression for very long? Depression is so very life sucking.

    Thank you for the reminder of keeping a food log. I completely forgot about such an important tool. I'll begin tomorrow. Today I did some yoga which was hard but felt fabulous after (many stops in between lol).

    Thank you again and you look fabulous! You look healthy and lively.

    Best Wishes,
    Becca
    Becca, first the med change was from Viibryd to Effexor, which is a tried and true drug, but new to me. I find it deals with the MDD, the severe anxiety and sleep issues, all with one. So glad to hear you are on a good one. I have had lifetime MDD -- family is rife with it, and bipolar issues. So very fortunate to have grown up on the crazy train and not been afraid of it. I also worked as a mental health professional until retirement

    I totally get the "bla bla bla" story, but it did make me smile - sounds like you've dealt with lots of it. However, if you eating till you are sick, it sounds as if something has resurfaced either in your life or your memories that you may need to explore more fully. If you journal, maybe you can go back over your entries and see what triggers the overeating?

    I use MyPlate to track my food and calories; you can set it to track protein, carbs & fat and I find being able to see what I ate if I have a mood blip has been a helpful tool in many ways. I also use measuring cups and a food scales, because it slows me down when I fix a plate (I use a small plate or bowl any way).

    Please understand that mental health issues are not character flaws - they are your body's chemical reaction to hormones released by stress, or by your own genetic makeup. "Brain rain", if you will, is something you have to work with regardless of your weight.

    Sraebaer is correct - life always happens. I found self-forgiveness to be very helpful for me, and I work at it. I cannot change or undo the past, whether its my history, my health, or my eating choices. But I can have the resilience to move forward in a way that is self-loving and healing.

    Hoping the best for you - but using the tools you already have including the VSG seems like it would be your best way to come back to yourself. Just my opinion.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs

    1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4
    3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL)
    1 YR = 122.0 20 MO = 130.0

  20. #12
    Gastric Sleeve Member Katrina's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Activity
    Today 11:28 PM
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    656
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 341 Times in 242 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries
    33

    Default Re: Starting Over

    I feel you on that nighttime eating hell. I'm in the same boat. Nothing all day. Not even hungry. I then eat dinner, and the monster is unleashed. I cannot sleep until I've eaten ALL the foods. For instance yesterday:
    breakfast - protein shake
    Lunch - protein shake
    Dinner - pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and onions
    Got sick as usual
    After dinner until sleep - pb&j sandwich, half a family size bag of doritos, more potatoes, onions, and carrots, honey bun, pop tart bites. This is every night. It is out of control.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115


  21. #13
    Gastric Sleeve Member sraebaer's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/07/2013
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Activity
    08-04-2019 11:18 AM
    Posts
    4,121
    Said "Thanks" 910 Times
    Was Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 134 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflybecca View Post
    Damn girl, no holds barred - THank you! Seriously. It's true, I've had the tools all along and allowed this to happen. It's harder than I'd ever imagined. I realized how addicted to food I am at night time really. Eating during the day is easy peasy lemon squeezie, but night eating is my downfall. Add the excruitiating pain to keeping me awake makes for much time on my hands with nothing else to keep me busy except eating, TV, reading or browsing on the internet.
    I'm 50 and have been a life time binger. I come from a long line of addicts - theirs is drugs and alchohol, mine is night time eating. I worry because I gain weight so fricken easily and like I said, the pain prevents good exercise. I walk around house (big open space) and began my yoga yesterday again. I don't know if they'll approve another surgery. We'll see.
    Nip that gain in the bud sister. 13 lbs can easily turn into much more. You're looking great and hope you feel the same
    Becca
    We can both do this! It isn't easy, but we're tough. You live in Northern CA, anywhere near Mt. Diablo? I used to put my kids on the school bus and climb that mountain every day. It was my health club and OMG I miss it! Now I'm sitting in the middle of the country in the middle of an ice storm. I'll hike in snow, but not ice. And my gym closes when school closes.

    The other thing I miss about Northern CA is Kaiser, totally no hassle insurance. My daredevil kid was always in the hospital for accidents and I never paid a penny. Now I'm dealing with crazy insurance that denies everything.



  22. Said thanks:


  23. #14
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandra3's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 06:12 AM
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,341
    Said "Thanks" 279 Times
    Was Thanked 1,053 Times in 741 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 473 Times
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default Re: Starting Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I feel you on that nighttime eating hell. I'm in the same boat. Nothing all day. Not even hungry. I then eat dinner, and the monster is unleashed. I cannot sleep until I've eaten ALL the foods. For instance yesterday:
    breakfast - protein shake
    Lunch - protein shake
    Dinner - pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and onions
    Got sick as usual
    After dinner until sleep - pb&j sandwich, half a family size bag of doritos, more potatoes, onions, and carrots, honey bun, pop tart bites. This is every night. It is out of control.
    Hi Katrina!

    Based on my last stomach issues, my week in hospital and the fact that I had to stop the PPI for 8 days (hell) and my nutrition experience....here is my "advice" (and I'm not a doctor, you might want to consider a visit soon).

    So you don't eat during the day, only protein, you don't get sick from protein shake right?
    Then you have dinner and the "dance" starts...

    Protein during the day will prevent you from having hyperglycemia, then hypo, then being starved, and your stomach acid is probably under control with the PPI when you only have a shake.
    But then, dinner (with texture) and onion (onion is on the no no list for reflux).

    Then you stomach is at war...and you eat because your acid is high and also mimic hunger (or you have a eating disorder, wouldn't know about that) but based on my recent experience, it did happen to me in that order.

    Eating something my stomach can't stand, then feeling better with food, but then hungry because I had carbs and shouldn't have etc etc...

    Actually your dinner could have been ok for your stomach if pured and without the onion...

    I had an endoscopy (did show my hernia and the fact that I have gastritis) and a 24h ph study of my stomach (the acid level is the highest possible). That was gross.
    I now know why I started to be so sick and my bad reflux did damage my lungs.

    It seems that all the rounds of antibiotics are responsible for the gastritis. But the doctor also took a sample in my stomach to know if I have the barrett bacteria, that could also explain the gastritis.

    Gastritis will increase reflux, and when it's really high, induce vomiting. When I was off PPI I was very nauseous. And I could eat almost nothing with texture of I would feel sick.

    To treat the gastritis, usually a stronger PPi is prescribed (I can take up to 80 mgr of Nexium now, before my scrip was 40) but also a dose of Gaviscon gel after each meal. If the barrett bacteria is found, a antibiotic should also be prescribed. (still waiting for my result, if you can't have an horrible invasive endoscopy to know for barret, just know there is an easier test, it's a breathing test and the result is faster, wish I had known about it before...).

    But since gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach mucosa, what can help, is to put your stomach at rest for a few days, and have only liquid or pured food. Try to have things like Greek yogurt, pashed potatoes, soups...it should be low acid. and help to protect your stomach.
    Avoid acid at all cost (no coffee, chocolate, fruits, nuts or junk food) or even too much fat or too much sugar.

    Protein and veggies are safe but crunchy texture is an issue too. I mean I'm sure you can figure out the diet. Give it a try. And may be go see a gastroenterologist.

    Because having the munchies is may be not the only explanation...I think your stomach is screaming for help (mine was and I had no idea it was that bad!!) but if the munchies come anyway, start your evening snacking with a good cup of protein, something you like (soft scrambled eggs, Greek yogurt, soft cheese) your stomach and glycemia will thank you later!


    HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •