Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Thumbs up Two years!

Where to begin? Haven't been in here much, but wanted to stop by and say hello and let you know where I am and how I'm doing. I come in occasionally and read a bit, but haven't really had much time to post.

I’ve actually been working on this post for a few weeks, typed it a few different ways and then got sick (The FLU SUCKS) this past week and didn’t get back to any final edits until today. So, I apologize if this is long winded, or just plain nonsensical!

TWO YEARS! What an amazing ride it has been. It’s been easy, hard, exhausting, life altering, enlightening, depressing, and euphoric all in one! Sometimes all in the same day.

Things I’ve learned:

1. Find a plan that works for you, for your body and stick to it. Not every plan will work for you and not every Doctor is going to have the right plan for you. Work the plan they give you, but if it isn’t working then being ready to adapt and change to something that is going to work. For me, carbs are bad. If I eat more than 40 – 50 grams a day I will gain weight with a few exceptions. Equally as tough is high fat doesn’t agree with me. So high protein / low carb / low fat is the roadmap of the future for me. You may be able to do it differently, but I know what works for me. I can be a little opinionated about carbs at times, but I speak from personal experience so take it for what it is worth.

2. Don’t waste that precious first year. I’ve been known to refer to this as the Magic Sleeve Phase. Work your sleeve as hard as you possibly can during that first year. Maximize your success by working hard and it will pay off. Most people will lose weight during this phase regardless of what you eat. Obviously if your eating 5000 calories a day you won’t lose, but if you reduce calories and eat crap (carbs, high fat) you will still lose. The problem is, this phase will end, and you’ll be stuck. Eating crap will inevitably result in regain.

3. Figure out the elusive “Relationship with Food” equation before it’s too late. I’d say, figure it out before surgery, but that isn’t realistic. Know that you need to figure it out, recognize that it is a crucial part of the journey and you are a little bit ahead of the curve, but only a little bit. The what, how much, and why we eat is a huge part of this. If anyone can figure it out for the rest of us, write a book, get an infomercial, you’re going to make millions!

4. Recognize that losing weight during the first year is easy! It’s losing the extra weight after that first year, or maintaining at your goal weight that is really hard. Things I could eat during the first year now cause weight gain. I have to be really careful about portion control now that I am 2 years out. This really started for me at around 18 months. Old habits die hard, and old eating habits creep back into your diet. Old eating habits = regain! Don’t trick yourself with the common and often posted “everything in moderation” excuse. Candy (substitute any poor food choice here) today that doesn’t result in weight gain will equal more candy a week later, which equals more candy and more candy which = REGAIN! Trust me, I’m not saying I haven’t done it, I’m just saying recognize where it leads before you find yourself on that road. We are all human, and we all are going to have tough days.

5. Exercise! You have to! Any healthy lifestyle includes exercise in addition to a good balanced diet. No good Doctor will ever tell you that you don’t need to exercise. People who are less than one year out and brag about never exercising need to read number 2 again!

6. Log your food for the rest of your life. I know I am only 2 years out and may be fat again in 2 or 3 years, but I might not just as easy. I log my food every day and try to log food before it goes in my mouth. It keeps me honest, and it makes me think about my food decisions before I can’t reverse them. It doesn’t work all the time (again, we are only human) but if it keeps me from making a crappy food decision 50 % of the time than it’s a good thing!

Now for the numbers….

HW – 320
    SW – 291
    GW – 205
    CW – 180 (Unreal)

The photos speak for themselves. I am in the best shape I have ever been in my life, and thoroughly enjoy exercise and physical competition. I found running to be wildly therapeutic at around 5 – 6 weeks post surgery and have never looked back. My passion for running turned into a passion for triathlons which has led me to amazing personal accomplishments. I always wanted to run an Ironman Triathlon and 2020 will be my year (Bring on IM Lake Placid 2020!)! This coming year I will compete in two ½ Ironman Triathlons (IMCT 70.3 and IMLP 70.3) and a full marathon in preparation for 2020.

I LOVE my sleeve! This surgery saved my life!

There really is so much more to tell, but this post is long enough (too long actually)! Any questions post here and I’ll answer as many as I can!

GET AFTER IT!
    Attached Images
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Two years!

GNV71, what a wonderful post. I'm at 18 months, and really echo what you said about how you eat after that first year. I got a bit wild over Christmas with the grandkids, and did sugar cookies (not a whole pan, just 1 or 2) but it was very difficult to not want to continue to eat sweet things or buttery things. My goal weight (130) is pretty sustainable, as long as I log what I eat (ahead of time) and hit my step number, I stay between 128-130. I got down to 122, but my face looked quite haggard, and at 66 that's not my aspiration, lol.

Congratulations on the triathilon. What a great goal! Thanks for sharing.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow Glenn! You are an inspiration to us all.
    What a great informative post.
    You have really made the most of your sleeve and are rocking your new healthy life.
    Love it!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, Glenn! What a beautiful, beautiful post!

Everybody who's a newbie or lurking -- please know that Glenn is telling it to you straight here.

I'm also a little selfishly glad to see somebody else stickin' up for us meal planners and trackers. Four and a half years post-op, I'm still on that train, too. And I still weigh 100 pounds less than I did pre-op.

But this is about YOU. You have accomplished so, so much for yourself, your family, and others who now see you as a beacon of hope. And that's what you are -- proof that lives can change incredibly for the better.

Congratulations on all your success. And deep respect for everything you have accomplished!

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Yayyy glenn, so wonderful. Good advice for us!! Yes! You are always and inspiration :-)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Glenn Thank You

You Know this has come along at such a relevant time for me.
    I am 11 months post-op and this was on my mind for the last 2 weeks.
    Why the honeymoon period seems to be over.

I am Hungry morning noon and night for the last 10 days or so.

I am aware that something has changed.
    Its down to me now!
    So I have been figuring out what's missing in my diet.
    I too track everything!

Is it this or that? I asked myself.
    I added more protein in different varieties.
    Trying to keep the hunger at bay.

I added more fluids if that's possible I made it happen.
    No, regain of weight yet but My intuition is telling me to PAY ATTENTION NOW!

May I congratulate you on your physical transformation.
    You Look so well and Healthy and promote a sense of self-care that is outstanding.

I always ask for something I can learn to come to me when I most need it and this week I did just that.

Thank You!
    YOU! provided the information that I needed confirming.

I think I know what I have to do.

Amazing Photos and you look like a different person May I say Youthful to You?

I am Inspired.
    That's a great Gift that you can give to people think I am going to plan and track a few more new things into my routine.

All The Best to you.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Oh, Glenn! What a beautiful, beautiful post!

Everybody who's a newbie or lurking -- please know that Glenn is telling it to you straight here.

I'm also a little selfishly glad to see somebody else stickin' up for us meal planners and trackers. Four and a half years post-op, I'm still on that train, too. And I still weigh 100 pounds less than I did pre-op.

But this is about YOU. You have accomplished so, so much for yourself, your family, and others who now see you as a beacon of hope. And that's what you are -- proof that lives can change incredibly for the better.

Congratulations on all your success. And deep respect for everything you have accomplished!

Ann
    Miss Ann, me too! I have to track my food - I need visual accountability. And the ability to immediately make an adjustment if something changes in a way I don't like! I weigh daily. I no longer let the number decide whether its a good day or a bad day but I do let it help me decide if I need more protein or water or whatever. I also figure out whether I'm tired, thirsty or bored...

GLENN has totally blow it away!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Glenn for this wonderful inspiring post.
    You did, and are still doing, so well!
    And you are so right: de really hard work starts after the honeymoon.
    Those first 1-2 years are easy. keeping the weight of is an entirely other ball game.
    No doubt in my mind you will nail that too!

Like more people here, I also still weigh (myself and my foods), track and record.
    Exercise could be better though...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats Glenn! You always continue to inspire. What a great post. Cheers!