Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Default Trying to be positive.

I know I've come on and complained about the time it has taken to get surgery from the time I have been finished with all my requirements for surgery. But, I'm at 10 weeks exactly today.

Am I being unrealistic? Has anyone else had to wait this long? I feel like I'm starting to lose my cool. I talked to then 2 weeks ago and she said I might get her call the next day. At this point I feel like they're just making me wait on purpose. Got a hospital questionnaire over 2 weeks ago. Ughh

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying to be positive.

I feel your pain!

I think I waited something like 10-12 weeks after everything else was done because my surgeon was besieged with new patients. As it turns out, during that time I put myself on my own diet and lost a whole whopping 10 pounds by counting calories, chewing slower, drinking more water, and started moving again ... slowly. I think at some point I just relaxed into the situation, realizing that I was going to have to live differently for the rest of my life so I should just go ahead and start doing that.

HOWEVER ... the time period when I just about drove everyone crazy was the six months prior to getting all the appointments scheduled -- visits with the psych, nutritionist, surgeon, insurance overseer, etc. Getting those appointments was not easy either, since those folks were equally besieged by new patients.

I'm just glad no one told me to go ... well, you know what, since my behavior truly qualified me for that kind of response.

All is forgiven now, because I'm a star post-op patient. "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee!" LOL!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I started a post yesterday about this same exact feeling . When I posted it (message came up and said had to be approved by a moderator).

I fully understand !!! ....

I'm not anxious, I just want to know some kind of timeline .

I have no idea where I'm at as far as steps towards surgery. One person says "Oh you ready to meet the surgeon". Someone else says "Oh you got several more steps and hoops to jump through."

6. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    I feel your pain!

I think I waited something like 10-12 weeks after everything else was done because my surgeon was besieged with new patients. As it turns out, during that time I put myself on my own diet and lost a whole whopping 10 pounds by counting calories, chewing slower, drinking more water, and started moving again ... slowly. I think at some point I just relaxed into the situation, realizing that I was going to have to live differently for the rest of my life so I should just go ahead and start doing that.

HOWEVER ... the time period when I just about drove everyone crazy was the six months prior to getting all the appointments scheduled -- visits with the psych, nutritionist, surgeon, insurance overseer, etc. Getting those appointments was not easy either, since those folks were equally besieged by new patients.

I'm just glad no one told me to go ... well, you know what, since my behavior truly qualified me for that kind of response.

All is forgiven now, because I'm a star post-op patient. "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee!" LOL!
    Sandra Dee! Lol!

I will still have a four to six week wait once they call to schedule. I've been approved over a month. I'm just wanting a date, but I refuse to contact them any further. I feel like this is excessive and my reaction is to get a different surgeon.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

O yeah... been there, done that, now give me my t-shirt!
    Hang in there, nothing you can do at this point, beside drive yourself (and everybody around you) completely nuts...
    Your turn will come!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I don't get it because I'm totally jealous I didn't have any insurance coverage and had to pay the whole darn thing. Then if I would have had complications, I would have had to pay that out-of-pocket too. Probably bankrupted my family. (Blessed to have no complications). So just think of the large amount of money you are saving and get happy! Someone is paying for all those hoops.

The only positive thing about self-pay is you signed up and got it done. That was fun.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I don't get it because I'm totally jealous I didn't have any insurance coverage and had to pay the whole darn thing. Then if I would have had complications, I would have had to pay that out-of-pocket too. Probably bankrupted my family. (Blessed to have no complications). So just think of the large amount of money you are saving and get happy! Someone is paying for all those hoops.

The only positive thing about self-pay is you signed up and got it done. That was fun.
    I only had 2 weeks from consult to surgery because I was self pay (insurance wouldn't cover) and thankful that we paid an extra $1,000 for complication insurance, because I had them.

Totally hear the frustration -- I wouldn't have been good at waiting!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my consultation on October 29 and surgery November 4 as self pay. I did have complications, but my insurance covered everything without question. My daughter had massive complications that landed her in the hospital for months and disabled for life. Insurance also covered her her. We would have been in some deep doo doo if our insurance denied coverage because we had self pay surgery.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yea, I was told specifically that since my Blue Cross Blue Shield would not cover bariatric surgery, it also would not cover any complications resulting from bariatric surgery. Now the place I had my surgery is a center of excellence and sells insurance for just that. I would have bought it!

18. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    I feel your pain!

I was just having a really bad day. It's like I'm living for that phone call. Thank you for understanding, since you know how nerve wracking it is. I'm at I months now and looking at another 1-2 months maybe. I was hoping to be thinner for summer. I guess that's still a possibility. I'm ready to get it over and start loving life.

20. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Truss View Post
    I started a post yesterday about this same exact feeling . When I posted it (message came up and said had to be approved by a moderator).

I fully understand !!! ....

I'm not anxious, I just want to know some kind of timeline .

I have no idea where I'm at as far as steps towards surgery. One person says "Oh you ready to meet the surgeon". Someone else says "Oh you got several more steps and hoops to jump through."
    It's such a long journey. I totally understand how you feel. Hopefully our waiting is in the rear view mirror soon!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

The waiting game is a real pain.
    For us (in France) it's usually between 3 to 9 months to jump all the hoops. If it's covered by the national insurance.It you go private it's indeed fast.

I was overseas when I had my surgery, the insurance did pay for it, I could have been approved really fast and have my surgery done in like 3 weeks, but because of my own agenda, I had my first visit on September 2014, surgery on January 2016.

Right now I'm waiting to have surgery to repair my hernia and the waiting game is really annoying since I'm actually in pain and sick since November, did many of the exams required going private but... my surgery date is still pending!! it's infuriating...

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hang in there! I know it's frustrating. It was a few months wait from after I finished everything before I got the surgery. Granted, after I had finished all my pre surgery work ups (which took almost 10 months), we got the surgery scheduled about a week after I faxed the proof of all my finished requirements.

Good luck! It'll happen and it'll be surgery day before you know it!

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow. I did not realize it took you over 10 weeks to get your surgery date. That is a long time. I think it only took me like a week or a week and a week & a half. Glad you finally got your date.