Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    01-18-2019 12:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default considering surgery

Hello Everyone,

My name is Soyra and I'm considering having gastric sleeve surgery. I have an appointment on Monday to visit a doctor and sit through his seminar. This is the second time I'm considering it. The first time was a couple of years ago. I already had my surgery date then got scared and cancelled it. My main concern is how I'm going to feel after the surgery. Well, my main concern is the anesthesia. Unfortunately, I have generalized anxiety and OCD. But this time, I really, really want to try to go through with it. I'm so sick and tired of struggling with my weight. So back to how I'm going to feel after....my worry is that I'm going to constantly feel nauseous, sick to my stomach, heartburn???????

I'm so glad I came upon this site.

Thank you all and I wish you all the best.

Soyra

2. The following 16 users said welcome soyracheco to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: considering surgery

Have you had difficulties with anesthesia before? If so, let the team know, and I think they are able to adjust. I know any time I have had surgery they always ask if I have had any problems in the past with anesthesia. I haven't.

Are you on meds for anxiety and OCD? You won't have to go off those meds to have the surgery. My doctor says if you need them, you need them.

I am 5 years from surgery and NEVER had nausea, heartburn, upset stomach, anything. Totally complication-free. So don't worry about something that might not happen to you. Many of us have a super easy time of the whole journey. I would say I felt discomfort if I overate, so I learned quite quickly to stop at that first feeling of full.

This surgery is truly life changing. I feel like I am aging backwards. I have more energy than ever, feel great, and look like a regular person. It's a miracle in my book. Unless you like how your life is going now, consider the sleeve. Do your research. Ask questions. Best of luck with your decision.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member HudsonBob's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    02-19-2019 03:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I also suffer from generalized anxiety and have concerns with how the medication will work with a smaller stomach. About 8 years ago I had a major operation (prostatectomy due to cancer) and suffered from depression after the operation. This is what I worry about the most. Is your concern with the anesthesia due to past history or just the anxiety of having anesthesia?

I would bring this up with the doctor when you meet with him.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Soyra,

The most important before the surgery, is to have all the tests done so the surgeon can know about any health issue.
    You will meet with the anesthesiologist and will let him know about your medical history.

I"ve been always sick with anesthesia, did get sick with the sleeve (but not this Summer with the arm lift).
    I was sick for three days post op, had several months of nausea but suspect most of it was the PPi side effect.

I had a smal reflux before the sleeve but it never bothered me (it was discovered during the pre op exams), took a PPI for several months post-op (but for many they take it only one month and the reflux is gone).
    I never had regrets about having surgery. I wanted to do it for a very long time, tried all diets under the sun and my last one before surgery was one year counting calories, lost 60 pounds and it came back for 2/3 really quickly.

The sleeve did change my life, I was able to reach my surgeon's prediction after two years.
    But only after a few months, I was able to move, exercise with no pain, and felt better than ever.

I'm currently sick but It was not because of the sleeve directly. I have other issues (asthma and a kind of endometriosis) and this Summer after the arm lift, I had more anemia than usual, got sick multiple times, asthma kicked in and after one week of uncontrolled asthma, I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. The pressure from the asthma did it.
    Reflux is horrible, and I will need surgery to correct the hernia.

Even after all those issues, still no regrets!!!
    Just find a good doctor, have all tests done, have surgery in a safe hospital.

Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Soyra! I have a hard time coming out from anesthesia and that was the worst part for me. I only felt bad if I ate too quickly or too much. I am over 2 years post op and love my life as a sleeved person. I did have heart burn for a few months post op but took Prilosec and tums. No issues after about 3 months.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there. I'm lucky in that I had no issues with the anesthetic or my recovery. It was all text book good.
    I had no heartburn, and have only felt nauseous a couple of time - due to either eating too fast or too much. I have also discovered that my stomach doesn't like fresh salmon any more....not sure why, but I just avoid it now.
    Hopefully you will have no issues either, but if you do then there are things that your surgeon can do to help. Definitely talk to them and tell them how you feel. There are there to help you.
    All the best.