Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    04-04-2019 06:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Huntsville, Alabama Pre-op Preparations

Good morning!

I am just beginning this terrifying/exciting journey! I have been conditionally approved by insurance and my final meeting with a nutritionist is Feb4.

Anyone else feeling the ridiculous urge to eat certain things "for the last time"? Or indulge in long ago given up vices?

Shut up, brain...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Huntsville, Alabama Pre-op Preparations

I never worried about what I ate before I had to start the pre-op diet, I ate what I wanted to. I was self-pay so didn't have to jump through any hoops, like show I could lose weight or anything like that. Once the pre-op diet started I followed the rules. After surgery you won't have to worry about indulging in anything, you won't be able to. Amazing! Best of luck to you.

WAY more exciting than terrifying that's for sure. Just imagine yourself a healthy, active, regular-sized person. It is beyond amazing. I had actually given up any hope of being anything but fat until the sleeve came along.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AmysBestLife's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/25/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    04-04-2019 06:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I seriously cannot even wrap my head around being normal sized!! I am so excited to be able to get outside and be active without turning into a puddle of sweat lol

My kids deserve to grow up in an active family. My husband loves who I am, so the physical change is just an added bonus for him!!! lol

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AmysBestLife View Post
    I seriously cannot even wrap my head around being normal sized!! I am so excited to be able to get outside and be active without turning into a puddle of sweat lol

My kids deserve to grow up in an active family. My husband loves who I am, so the physical change is just an added bonus for him!!! lol
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I never dreamed it would be possible, but it happened. My goal was never to be skinny, it was to look like a normal sized person. And my husband loved me any size too, but we are having much more fun now! Off to ski next week.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmysBestLife View Post

Welcome to the forum! I'm a little over a year out, and its funny, because as I was getting dressed for the day, and pulled on a size 4 pair of jeans, I thought -- hmmmm -- this is the rest of my life. And I smiled.

No, didn't want to indulge - I think I've eaten anything and everything I wanted. Probably twice! Like Sharon, I was self pay so my initial appointment was exactly 2 weeks prior to surgery, so immediately on the pre op Optifast 800 for those two weeks. Never cheated, since I would be "stealing" my own success.

And I only wish I had done it sooner!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Amy! I totally get that. I had some small goodbye meals to things I loved. But guess what? You aren't saying goodbye forever. I eat things I used to love but just not all the time and in small quantities. Good luck on your last appointment and getting your surgery date!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    11-03-2019 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Amy, I totally get it! I’m scheduled for 2/5/19 surgery and begin my strict pre-op diet tomorrow (although I’ve been eating healthier and watching my portions for the past month for the most part). I also have indulged and became a bit obsessed with some of my very favorite New England foods - like a bucket of steamed clams!! LOL. Almost seems unrational, and kind of like saying goodbye to old “friends” so I get what your going through.

One reason I felt the sleeve would be best for me is it seems to be, for most people, the crucial TOOL to help with portion control. Combine that with a healthier way of eating and I’m praying and determined to make this a success story! Many people on this forum indicate that taste buds can change after surgery so just in case I NEVER again have a craving for steamed clams, I feel I’ve “checked off that box!” And if I DO still crave steamed clams I’ll be happy with having only 2-3 rather than the whole bucket.

Something I’ve been doing for the past 6 weeks or so is gathering a notebook full of recipes that are protein rich and healthy versions of things I like. Luckily I love veggies! Thinking it will fun to try out these new recipes after surgery and when I’m able to begin solid foods.

Good luck with this journey and look forward to hearing more!

Sorry NON-New England sleevers - I understand that eating steamed clams is considered an acquired taste and may be totally repulsive to many but I’m a hard-core New Englander and grew up with the best of the best shellfish/seafood! Hoping my taste buds after WLS will still favor salmon, haddock, shrimp, etc., but if not . . . Eh!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by DebF View Post
    Amy, I totally get it! I’m scheduled for 2/5/19 surgery and begin my strict pre-op diet tomorrow (although I’ve been eating healthier and watching my portions for the past month for the most part). I also have indulged and became a bit obsessed with some of my very favorite New England foods - like a bucket of steamed clams!! LOL. Almost seems unrational, and kind of like saying goodbye to old “friends” so I get what your going through.

One reason I felt the sleeve would be best for me is it seems to be, for most people, the crucial TOOL to help with portion control. Combine that with a healthier way of eating and I’m praying and determined to make this a success story! Many people on this forum indicate that taste buds can change after surgery so just in case I NEVER again have a craving for steamed clams, I feel I’ve “checked off that box!” And if I DO still crave steamed clams I’ll be happy with having only 2-3 rather than the whole bucket.

Something I’ve been doing for the past 6 weeks or so is gathering a notebook full of recipes that are protein rich and healthy versions of things I like. Luckily I love veggies! Thinking it will fun to try out these new recipes after surgery and when I’m able to begin solid foods.

Good luck with this journey and look forward to hearing more!

Sorry NON-New England sleevers - I understand that eating steamed clams is considered an acquired taste and may be totally repulsive to many but I’m a hard-core New Englander and grew up with the best of the best shellfish/seafood! Hoping my taste buds after WLS will still favor salmon, haddock, shrimp, etc., but if not . . . Eh!
    Steamed clams will be a healthy protein choice! (Unless they are steamed in butter or something). You will totally be able to enjoy your clams along with all that other yummy seafood. We eat fish more than meat during the week. Especially in the beginning, fish is so much easier on your tummy than meat. While salmon was easy to eat early on, something like chicken was very difficult. Probably because the salmon is soft and less dense.

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

Hi Amy!
    congrats on your journey! I felt the same way!!! I had about 9 months of hoops to jump through. I scheduled in a few "last meals and snacks" during that time period. I scheduled them so that I wouldn't go overboard.

Like someone else here said, you're not saying goodbye forever. I'm 16 months out and can pretty much what I want. It's all about moderation, and portion control. One of my favorite meals is filet mignon with a baked potato. So, twice a year, I get that. I eat a few bites of steak and a couple bites of potato. Leaves me with 3 more servings!

I told my therapist before surgery that I was panicking at the thought of never being able to eat certain foods again. He said with sleeve you can. However, I've found that bread like items like pancakes,waffles, biscuits, I can't do. And you know what? I don't REALLY miss it! Maybe for about 5 seconds, but I get over it. In the grand scheme of things in life, is it really a big deal I can't eat those things? Nope!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Vickey1123's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    04-25-2020 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

My surgeon is Dr Forman as well. Im hoping for a June surgery date. How are you doing?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Vickey1123 View Post
    My surgeon is Dr Forman as well. Im hoping for a June surgery date. How are you doing?
    Dr. Foreman just did my surgery on Monday. He was awesome and the entire process has been so good. The hospital was great as it is set up as a Bariatric Specialty Center and they really did treat me wonderfully and thoughtfully. You have a great surgeon Congratulations!

Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    Dr. Foreman just did my surgery on Monday. He was awesome and the entire process has been so good. The hospital was great as it is set up as a Bariatric Specialty Center and they really did treat me wonderfully and thoughtfully. You have a great surgeon Congratulations!
    That is great! I’m glad you had a good experience!
    What was your pre op diet like? How are you doing with post op diet?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I was self pay and didn't have to do a pre op diet but I chose to do it anyway, I wanted to make it as easy as possible and get used to drinking shakes and protein.

My post op diet has been great. I'm NEVER hungry lol. Honestly, I just did broth and clear liquids the first 2 days on and on the 3rd added protein. So I've added UNJURY protein powder but I like their pre mixed shakes better or ISOPURE is good too. I sip constantly and I've had to catch myself a few times grabbing a water bottle and chugging. I had to spit it out before I swallowed it. Now I'm drinking from a sippy cup to keep from doing that. I did eat a few bites of cream of chicken soup strained and thinned out with chicken broth. It was the most delicious thing ever haha. I also bought baby spoons because honestly it keeps me from taking a too big bite. You'll like the NUT she's really sweet and will explain everything 100 times.

Good luck.

Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    I was self pay and didn't have to do a pre op diet but I chose to do it anyway, I wanted to make it as easy as possible and get used to drinking shakes and protein.

My post op diet has been great. I'm NEVER hungry lol. Honestly, I just did broth and clear liquids the first 2 days on and on the 3rd added protein. So I've added UNJURY protein powder but I like their pre mixed shakes better or ISOPURE is good too. I sip constantly and I've had to catch myself a few times grabbing a water bottle and chugging. I had to spit it out before I swallowed it. Now I'm drinking from a sippy cup to keep from doing that. I did eat a few bites of cream of chicken soup strained and thinned out with chicken broth. It was the most delicious thing ever haha. I also bought baby spoons because honestly it keeps me from taking a too big bite. You'll like the NUT she's really sweet and will explain everything 100 times.

Good luck.
    That’s great that your not hungry! I’ve heard sippy cups help and the smaller spoons. I bought some cute dessert spoons that are small like baby spoons. I hope you continue to do well!