Dr. Gary Korus
    Last Activity
    07-03-2019 10:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Waiting..

Despite the fact I have most of my appointments (including my sleep study) scheduled between now and early March as well 6 months of required nutritional and weight loss counseling I want to use this “waiting period” preparing myself much as possible. Little things like adapting to the taste of crystal light to kick my love of Pepsi, creating a vision board for motivation and watching hours of YouTube videos of post op challenges and successes. I would be interested in knowing in these early stages what were some of the things you did to prepare yourself for life after surgery? (Besides trying to lose weight)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Waiting..

What a great question. I can't really answer it. I was scheduled for surgery 2 weeks after first appointment, so just was immediatly on the 800 calorie Optifast preop. And afterwards hasn't been hard, but lots of great advice here.

I would prep a few things in the freezer that you think you might eat in the first stages. EggFace on the web has fabulous recipes.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I lived on YouTube too. So many inspirational stories on there, watching people shrink before your eyes. I also stalked on these boards and learned so much.

I did exercise before surgery, I have always been a walker, fat or thin. So I walked. I believe it made my surgery recovery easier, and also made it easier to get into an exercise routine after surgery. Not to mention when I mentioned my love of walking to my psychologist at the before surgery appointment, he remarked, "Then you will lose all your weight." He was right.

So many large people think of exercise as something horrible, when it's so good for your body and soul.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Shikora
    Last Activity
    11-03-2019 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Luckily I’ve never liked ANY carbonated beverages and Crystal Light is my usual favorite drink - especially the grape. I always have Crystal Light packets in my pocketbook so easy to pop one into a water bottle. My nutritionist suggested I buy a few different brands of protein drinks and thankful she made this recommendation as some of them were really yucky. I like the Premier Protein although some folks on this site have mentioned that taste buds change after surgery.

Thanks for referencing The EggFace site - I’ve been researching some easy/freezable meals for post-surgery and this site looks great. I’m also excited about getting back outside walking - very cold in Boston area right now but should be feeling better just as our weather begins to turn warmer. Tried to think of everything when scheduling my procedure, LOL!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Like AnnieG I was scheduled 3 weeks after my first appointment - I was self pay - so didn't have a lot of time to think about it really. I had done my research prior to the appointment of course.
    I was told not to buy too much of any particular protein shake etc as my taste may change. I was able to stock up on pureed foods in preparation for that part of the post op procedure (we have a company here that produces really great tasting pureed foods especially for bariatrics. I found that afterwards I was not able to tolerate the multivitamins that I had bought in bulk so perhaps you might want to only buy small quantities of these too until you know what works for you.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents