Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Kittens7
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Please help me VSG regrets/Pain

Hi - I have been reading this forum for years, and it has helped me through so many problems! Thank you!
    This is my first post.
    I am 52 years old and had the VSG surgery on December 19th. (and also an incisive hernia repair from having my gallbladder removed 20 years ago)

The first week was absolute h*ll and no one could have prepared me for the pain, sickness, etc. I do not handle anesthesia well and felt absolutely seasick. I was, however, able to drink water and somehow get my ounces in by the end of the week. I had no gas, only naseua and pain. Constant. My primary care doctor prescribed an anti-consultant and it turned me around and stopped the retching.

It will be week 4 on Weds. I can get my water and protein in, by drinking protein drinks, but I now have acid reflux, or gas, or heartburn depending on the day.

I ate a boiled egg yesterday and thought I would die.

I do not believe that I have a stricture, leak, etc. I can eat and drink.

However, I am scared to death thinking I have to go through life with either: reflux, heartburn, or gas every single day.
    I am taking Omerazole daily and plan on taking it for the next year at least. I take gas X gel as well.

PLEASE - is there anyone out there that had a rocky start and ended up ok? I need to hear your story. I am so regretful and sad.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Please help me VSG regrets/Pain

Hi.
    I'm sorry that you are feeling so unwell.
    My only suggestion would be to speak with your surgeon.
    I hope that you feel better soon.

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Get your doctor to prescribe some Protonix for the reflux. It works well. Unfortunately, I still have severe reflux 4 years out, but it is manageable with the Protonix as long as I take it on time. My first year was worse than rough, but I'm still kicking. Hang in there. It's can't be undone, so you just gotta keep on keeping on. No room for regrets. Chin up, liquids down. You're gonna be ok.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I did not have a rocky start, but we all have a different tolerance for pain. I enjoyed every step of the way, got excited shopping for the new foods I could add each week. I guess you could say I concentrated on the positives rather than the negatives. The negatives were so short lived they were nothing compared to spending the rest of my life as a healthy, regular-sized person.

If you have a serious medical issue, contact your doctor. Meds can help reflux/heartburn. My doctor gives them to all his patients the first month. After that month I didn't need any more.

Food isn't easy at first, it's sort of trial and error. I (for 5 years) have eaten soft boiled eggs. Chicken was difficult at first too. Now I can eat anything and everything. Just take it easy and give yourself a break. This is NOT your new life, this is healing from surgery with a healing, sensitive tummy. Life will be back to normal before you know it. You are actually in the most fun part right now, the dropping weight like crazy part. Enjoy it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jami Russell
    Surgery date
    12/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patel
    Last Activity
    01-14-2019 11:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hello dear I had my surgery around the same time, December 26th 2018 and I also had 2 hernia repairs at that same time. Healing was very hard for me as well! I felt total regret but everyday seams to be getting better and better! I am now on the puréed stage of foods and it’s very hard for me to put meat and veggies in a blender so I just drink my protein shakes and have a half can of tuna or chicken mashed. I tried eating cream soups as my doctor recommended and I get severe pains in my tummy as if it is gas but nothing comes out! My sides tighten up really hard and then release with every bite, it hurts so bad and it’s so annoying! Buyers remorse for sure! I’m hoping this stops soon because I have to go back to work next week and I can’t have that happen during lunch and dinner break. Ugghh! It’s also very hard for me to consume 74 oz of water every day and 60 g of protein. I’m just doing what I can do for now praying it gets better! Keep your head up as I am trying to do the same. Looking forward to hearing how much you lose in the end.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

This will pass and you will feel more like yourself every few days. Be extra kind to yourself. Rest as you need to.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

10. Said thanks: