Dr. Benjamin Tanner
    Last Activity
    04-15-2019 04:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newbie

Hello,

My name is Shey. This forum was recommended by Norton’s Weight Management. I had my gastric sleeve surgery two weeks ago. I am on liquids, soft, & mushy foods. I am a foodie which is how I got myself into this situation. I did not prepare myself mentally for this surgery and now lifestyle change. I can’t eat anything and I am grieving food. I wish there was something I could eat with flavor and solidity. I am really exhausted with the broths and soups.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Newbie

Such a teeny tiny part of time out of your life to be healthy and regular sized; it is an amazingly small price to pay. Maybe you need an attitude adjustment? Get excited, start dreaming of how different your life will be a year from now. It is truly amazing. Shopping in single digits, doing things you had never dreamed you could, a total life change.

Hubby and I are "foodies" too, and you would be amazed at the great meals he cooks, basically following our rule of 2, something I made up, a protein and veggie at each meal. The combinations are endless. I have never enjoyed food as much as I do now. Last night was salmon and brussel sprouts with hot wing sauce, pecans, and blue cheese. Yum.

You've got this - get thrilled at the fact your life is about to turn around 100%! It's silly in my opinion to whine about the little things, think big picture.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Welcome. The food funeral sucks. You will get through it. I feel like no matter how much you prepare it’s just so different that it can be a struggle mentally for awhile. Only being able to eat a few bites of food is so bizarre for many reasons. BUT when the weigh is falling off it makes everything worth it.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

I went through that as well. I went to culinary school for patisserie & baking. I can't say that's what got me in the position I was in though. I've been big since I was 13 years old. I had my surgery 10/11/18. The first couple weeks were excruciating because I felt like how much could you puree and make it taste different than the last meal. I was bored with it. I wanted to chew. At 2 weeks post op, my doctor released me to eat whatever I wanted. I made healthy choices but my body needed me to go through the "soft foods" stage so I came on here, feeling like my doctor threw me to the wolves and found comfort in the fact that I don't HAVE TO do as he says... I have to listen to my body. 2 months out and I still eat soft foods. Why? Well, because you have to chew your food to death anyways... might as well make it to where you can swallow a little bit at a time. I would lick the cheese off the cheetos and then throw away the actual cheetos. Then I realized that I was truly addicted to food because I wasn't hungry. I just wanted the taste. Once I got to where I could eat solid food, I haven't had a cheat day since. I've enjoyed making up new recipes. Even have my kids wanting to do low carb. I made them 0 carb waffles this morning. My 11 year old daughter lost 6 lbs this week. I want them to see while they're young that they can conquer food addiction before their weight is out of control. I couldn't do that until I got excited about MY journey. Good luck to you and I promise you, it does get better.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I guess I was lucky in the I never missed food. I always ate mostly healthy just too much. The sleeve has fixed that for me. I actively sought out the surgery so was prepared for the change and very excited about what it would mean for me.
    I love that fact that there are so many things that I can do now that I couldn't previously. I love my new life.
    There have been a few morning teas at work over the past week and once I would have dived in like everyone else but these days I look at the food and think, actually I don't really fancy that at all.
    There are lots of great bariatric recipe sites around - just Google them. Having said that I really don't make anything too different. I don't do wheat pasta or rice etc anymore but can substitute black bean/soya bean/edamame pasta if I feel like it. My partner prefers these to wheat pasta now too.

I don't know really what to suggest to you other than as sraebaer said concentrate on the positives....there are so many!

The soft food stage doesn't last forever and you may find that when you are released for all foods that you actually crave good healthy choices.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there Shey. Once you start eating solids you will feel better. I think we all got sick of the liquids and soft foods phases. I do suggest maybe seeking counseling, though. If you are mourning foods, you may be at risk for eating around your sleeve. Wishing you success!

Gastric Sleeve Member Cathrodine's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/16/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Isaac Nagel
    Last Activity
    01-16-2019 04:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Good luck with your surgery!