Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lying Doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    We are going with the #1 tour operator, and yes, if they evaluate you and tell you to go down, you go down. Not worth risking death that's for sure. Hubby and I made an agreement that if one of us gets sick the other will keep going.
    I have a very low tolerance to any altitude over 1000m, and because of my asthma, I was forbidden by my doc at work to even ask for a job in Mexico City because combination of pollution and altitude could make me really sick on the long run.

I can get altitude sickness in Denver!! it's that bad.

So before going to Bogota, because I had pneumonia a few months before, I did more exercise daily starting a few weeks before, I did take some supplements to help, I wanted to avoid the side effects of the medication. I took Gingko Biloba.
    I'm not convinced it was really that great, I still had a very bad fall from the dizziness. For me it usually starts to make me sick around 8/12h after arrival.
    I took an aerobic class with a friend the third day, I almost passed out.

When I went back later, I took Gingko and Ibuprofren combined and it seemed to work better.
    Several studies did show Ibuprofen was actually the equivalent of the medicine given for altitude sickness, so I prefer going with something I know won't give me too many side effects.

In Mexico city I didn't even take the Gingko the second week, I only took Ibuprofen, and I saw no difference, still got a little sick, but at the end of the stay I got very bad food poisoning (from a very posh restaurant! shame!) and the issue was made worth because of the effect of the Ibuprofen on my IBS...(I picked my poison!).

Anyway, my doc was telling me that each time, since I arrive by plane the altitude sickness is worth because if I was driving there my body would have time to adapt gradually. I'm not sure it's really the case for people with asthma. I was driving to Denver and got sick the second day, that was for sure altitude sickness (I've known the symptoms since the age of 15) and went away as soon as we went to a lower level.

The good side of the altitude, is that going down, you feel really good!! I spent a few Summers at the mountain (2000m) when I was in HS, my asthma was always better during allergy season following those stays.
    All my trips in Bogota and Mexico City took place before the sleeve, I was huge.

Sharon you work out so much and are eating really well, you will do great!!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

You DO NOT look 62!!! How exciting is this trip going to be? :-)

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    I have a very low tolerance to any altitude over 1000m, and because of my asthma, I was forbidden by my doc at work to even ask for a job in Mexico City because combination of pollution and altitude could make me really sick on the long run.

I can get altitude sickness in Denver!! it's that bad.

So before going to Bogota, because I had pneumonia a few months before, I did more exercise daily starting a few weeks before, I did take some supplements to help, I wanted to avoid the side effects of the medication. I took Gingko Biloba.
    I'm not convinced it was really that great, I still had a very bad fall from the dizziness. For me it usually starts to make me sick around 8/12h after arrival.
    I took an aerobic class with a friend the third day, I almost passed out.

When I went back later, I took Gingko and Ibuprofren combined and it seemed to work better.
    Several studies did show Ibuprofen was actually the equivalent of the medicine given for altitude sickness, so I prefer going with something I know won't give me too many side effects.

In Mexico city I didn't even take the Gingko the second week, I only took Ibuprofen, and I saw no difference, still got a little sick, but at the end of the stay I got very bad food poisoning (from a very posh restaurant! shame!) and the issue was made worth because of the effect of the Ibuprofen on my IBS...(I picked my poison!).

Anyway, my doc was telling me that each time, since I arrive by plane the altitude sickness is worth because if I was driving there my body would have time to adapt gradually. I'm not sure it's really the case for people with asthma. I was driving to Denver and got sick the second day, that was for sure altitude sickness (I've known the symptoms since the age of 15) and went away as soon as we went to a lower level.

The good side of the altitude, is that going down, you feel really good!! I spent a few Summers at the mountain (2000m) when I was in HS, my asthma was always better during allergy season following those stays.
    All my trips in Bogota and Mexico City took place before the sleeve, I was huge.

Sharon you work out so much and are eating really well, you will do great!!
    I'll talk to my doctor as to ideas. I had never heard of the ibuprofen, that isn't something a sleeved person should take, but they may make an exception. I used to get so sick skiing in the mountains west of Denver until I learned to drink a TON of water and no alcohol at all. And it is always better when we drive. Going again Saturday and driving. Too bad we can't drive to Africa...