Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-18-2019 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newby Question

Hi everyone...I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Deanna and I am from Oklahoma. I was excited when I found out about these surgeries in Mexico and the cost of them. I decided I wanted to do it...however, since I decided this, I have been somewhat apprehensive, listening to a friend of mine that had it done a year ago. I think she is just telling me the worst case scenario, but it's kinda freaking me out. Is there anyone here that rides horses? How long after your surgery were you able to ride again? Meaning, getting into the saddle with putting pressure on your stomach? Will this be a problem after the stomach is completely healed? When do you know if you're completely healed? I hope someone has an answer/opinion on this...thanks!

Deanna

2. The following 17 users said welcome DLMorris722 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Newby Question

I had surgery in Mexico and it was a great experience with the doctor and the hospital. I don’t ride horses, but I do work with in behavioral health with aggressive individuals. Long story. My job is very physical. I had surgery on a Thursday and was back at work the following Tuesday. However I waited 3 solid weeks to go back to being fully physical at work. I didn’t push it. I felt fine before then, but that’s what my doctor recommend. Regardless of a time frame given you should be easy on that area of your body for awhile. If your not 100% healed you could give yourself a leak.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Most surgeons recommend waiting at least 6 weeks before any strenuous exercise. The biggest issue you may have is the energy that is required to ride horses. Some people have energy issues for a few months while others seem fine energy wise after just a few weeks. No two people are the same. You will be able to ride again but the time frame is really going to depend on you personally. I know that is not a straight answer because really no one can predict your healing.

Gastric Sleeve Member EnglishGentleman's Avatar
    Name
    Michael
    Surgery date
    04/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Mr Carter
    Last Activity
    02-17-2023 03:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

6 weeks seems to be the times frame surgeons recommend before getting back into excercise.

The problem you may experience is energy levels. As an example I wanted to “get stuck in” to the gym and once I had passed the 6 week window I started going to the gym. I went twice....

This was because I was physically exhausted afterwards. I’d drive home, sit on the couch and fall asleeep. Basically my stomach was too small to consume the energy (the right type) vs the expenditure I did at the gym.

I started going again after 5 months and felt fine, the quantum of food I could eat kept up with the energy I expended.

Not sure how this can relate to horse riding, but as your no doubt an animal lover just think how happier the horse will be after your op!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sounds like a good question for your surgeon. I was cleared for all activities at 2 weeks, but everyone is different. No clue about horseback riding.

Good luck!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member DLMorris722's Avatar
    Name
    Deanna Morrison
    Surgery date
    01/21/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you!

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I see you our thinking of Dr Almanza. He takes anyone but acts like he his checking your medical history before scheduling your surgery it’s all a lie. I should have been turned down given my medical history and a Nissan wrap I’d had done 7 years before for a hiatal hernia. Dr A cut it down the middle and didn’t tell me. My body formed a seal which lasted a year than I started having major complications because I developed another H Hernia which pulled my sleeve into my chest cavity causing breathing prob. And A-Fib which caused a stroke in sept. In November I had to have major surgery including turning the Sleeve into a bypass because of my severe acid reflux and being prone to hernias. No more A-Fib since surgery. I’ve had two complications , one was a leak that lead to a GTube for meds and feeding. I had to much pressure and had my intestine explode and almost died. I was septic, vital unstable heading into a coma. Rushed to ICU then once stable for surgery had surgery #3. Spent 4.5 days in ICU and 3 wks in the hospital. I’m know on TPN through my central line which is hooked up for 16hrs a day, My GTube only used for meds. I have another surgery on the 18th. Life isn’t fun anymore I’m constantly nauseated, dry heaving. Don’t want to scare you. But encourage you to pick a dr in Mexico that does other weightloss surgeries so you have what’s best for you because revisions our risky and full of risk. I know all surgery has risk but feel mine could have been prevented by having the right procedure at the beginning. Check out Dr Alvarez from “Ask Dr Alvarez”from the YouTube channel and from gastric sleeve forum. Good luck and wish you the very best in what ever you decide.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Michael
    Surgery date
    04/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Mr Carter
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    I see you our thinking of Dr Almanza. He takes anyone but acts like he his checking your medical history before scheduling your surgery it’s all a lie. I should have been turned down given my medical history and a Nissan wrap I’d had done 7 years before for a hiatal hernia. Dr A cut it down the middle and didn’t tell me. My body formed a seal which lasted a year than I started having major complications because I developed another H Hernia which pulled my sleeve into my chest cavity causing breathing prob. And A-Fib which caused a stroke in sept. In November I had to have major surgery including turning the Sleeve into a bypass because of my severe acid reflux and being prone to hernias. No more A-Fib since surgery. I’ve had two complications , one was a leak that lead to a GTube for meds and feeding. I had to much pressure and had my intestine explode and almost died. I was septic, vital unstable heading into a coma. Rushed to ICU then once stable for surgery had surgery #3. Spent 4.5 days in ICU and 3 wks in the hospital. I’m know on TPN through my central line which is hooked up for 16hrs a day, My GTube only used for meds. I have another surgery on the 18th. Life isn’t fun anymore I’m constantly nauseated, dry heaving. Don’t want to scare you. But encourage you to pick a dr in Mexico that does other weightloss surgeries so you have what’s best for you because revisions our risky and full of risk. I know all surgery has risk but feel mine could have been prevented by having the right procedure at the beginning. Check out Dr Alvarez from “Ask Dr Alvarez”from the YouTube channel and from gastric sleeve forum. Good luck and wish you the very best in what ever you decide.
    Oh dear, that’s terrible.

This kind of storey reaffirms my decision to have my VSG and circumferential body lift carried out in the UK with reputable surgeons whose also hold senior positions in the NHS.

Like many Americans whose travel to Mexico, many people here in the UK travel to the old soviet states for surgery. No disrespect intended but both Mexico and the old societ states are second world and not first world like th USA and UK.

Why people put their trust in overseas surgeons is beyond me, save for the fact it’s cheaper.

But here in the UK, there a saying about things being too cheap (and I’m sure my cousins a cross the pond have a similar saying).

Still, each to their own. You make your choices and take your chances....

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Hi Micheal, I appreciate your feedback. I thought I did my homework and I was mislead too. I wanted the surgery so bad I missed important clues. Now I’m paying a heavy price. Now I’m trying to help others not make the same mistakes. This doctor is being Investigated by a news station in San Diego. Four women have died after having the sleeve. All in the last couple of years. How many more are there. I almost became one of those statistic. I’m not out of the woods. Trust me know one would want to be in my shoes. I went from mountain climbing to fighting for my life!!!!681CDF47-C2E5-440A-8F98-0F93B436A01E.jpeg8945DBC8-4663-4C7E-BD53-8F3746C23FA6.jpeg

death.
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Gastric Sleeve Member DLMorris722's Avatar
    Name
    Deanna Morrison
    Surgery date
    01/21/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Tamera,
    What was it that caused you to have issues? What important clues were missed? You look great in your pics, so when did you start having issues? I have a good friend that did the same surgery w/ the same surgeon and she is great.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DLMorris722 View Post
    Tamera,
    What was it that caused you to have issues? What important clues were missed? You look great in your pics, so when did you start having issues? I have a good friend that did the same surgery w/ the same surgeon and she is great.
    Yes the first year I did amazing and made my dreams come true. Than after it slowly unraveled!!!!
    I should never had the Sleeve because I had a hiatal hernia with severe reflux and was treated with a wrap called a Nissan fundoplication. The wrap would prevent any further hernia’s or reflux aggravated by Gastroparesis. Dr Almanza cut my wrap and never told me. After a rough recovery I was great until a year postop when I developed another hernia. The doctors didn’t understand for months why I was having so many problems. May of 2018 I was having breathing issues and lots of pressure in my stomach than in June of 2018 developed A-Fib. Doctors couldn’t figure out why I went from being so healthy to slowly becoming sick. In September I had a stroke from the A-Fib than in October I went back to the doctor who did my Nissan. He did a CT and endoscopy and found I had a large hiatal hernia. During surgery #1 Dr found the hernia had taken my sleeve and put it in my chest cavity and found that Dr Almanza had cut the Nissan in half in order to do the Sleeve. My chest was full of addhesions and the cause of my breathing and heart issues. My body probably after the Sleeve surgery formed scar tissue on the wrap and eventually the pressure building up in my stomach opened it back up. I was also becoming sicker having difficult time being able to eat becoming Malnourished. I developed a leak and massive infection which required surgery #2 than had my intestine rupture requiring surgery #3 I was septic and close to death. Then #4 had to have my G-Tube replaced. #5 is on the 18. Doctors felt I needed to get stronger. before they do anymore. I pray I get my life back. Life right know is difficult and wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I hope your friend continues to do well and has no history of Hiatal Hernia’s or reflux.

Name
    Michael
    Surgery date
    04/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Mr Carter
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    Hi Micheal, I appreciate your feedback. I thought I did my homework and I was mislead too. I wanted the surgery so bad I missed important clues. Now I’m paying a heavy price. Now I’m trying to help others not make the same mistakes. This doctor is being Investigated by a news station in San Diego. Four women have died after having the sleeve. All in the last couple of years. How many more are there. I almost became one of those statistic. I’m not out of the woods. Trust me know one would want to be in my shoes. I went from mountain climbing to fighting for my life!!!!681CDF47-C2E5-440A-8F98-0F93B436A01E.jpeg8945DBC8-4663-4C7E-BD53-8F3746C23FA6.jpeg

death.
    I’m so sorry for what’s happened to you, my post wasn’t meant to me critical of your choices but if that is how it came accross I apologise.

Are your Dr’s confident then can unravel the issues and sort them?

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Hi Micheal, I didn’t take your comments negative. Sorry if I gave you that impression. I appreciate your apology and kind words. Thank goodness my insurance is paying for all of this. My surgeon feels he can fix everything but is unsure if he can stop the nausea and unsure when I’ll be able to eat again. He hopes in time I’ll see improvement. Only time will tell but I hope so. My stroke symptoms have really improved since my my first surgery in November. excited to start training again and return to hiking and hopefully eventually climbing again. I’m fighting as hard as I can through this next set of challenges. Trying to stay positive. Some days easier than other days. Take Care