Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/03/2018
    Last Activity
    07-03-2020 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Anyone else struggle through the holidays?

I am 11 weeks out and have been doing good until the last few weeks. It started simply enough but now I have over done it. I am actually up a few pounds and am disappointed in myself.
    I am starting fresh today though!
    I just wondered if anyone else felt like I do this morning?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Anyone else struggle through the holidays?

YES! The only difference is I had my surgery over 5 years ago; I should have learned my lesson by now.

I so admire those of you with families. We are empty nesters and never have junk in the house. But over the course of 2 weeks my three adult children, spouses, and 6 young grandkids have been staying with us. That means baking cookies, candy, cake, everything I typically never touch. Until now. I am not exercising because I'm babysitting the baby while the 5 older kids get out and enjoy the city. Half live in Mississippi where there isn't that much going on. LOVE watching the baby because I rarely see her. Love having my family all in one place.

I have no willpower. I have been eating and drinking the wrong stuff for 2 weeks. I am not exercising. I am scared to step on the scale. I have even stopped doing that as said grand baby sleeps in her pack-and-play in our big closet. Typically I weigh daily. It is also my first Christmas in 62 years without my mother, which could be one reason I'm such a nutcase this year. I really miss her.

But we can get back on track! It will start with my weigh-in tomorrow. The last family leaves for the airport early. I will toss any leftover junk. I'll get myself outside for a long hike. I will get back to eating how I should. I've got this.

This is the first time in forever I think my jeans are getting tight.

I may go back to Weight Watchers. Crazy as it sounds, it really helped keep me accountable last time I was up a little. As a lifetime member I'm free when I get back to goal.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/03/2018
    Last Activity
    07-03-2020 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I completely understand!!
    I feel like I have ZERO willpower, which is scary because it makes me fear that I will go right back to where I was before. I cannot believe that I crumbled this fast. I've done well today and think I can get back on track but it makes me nervous that it will not take much to be even worse if I continue to do this in the future.
    I am only 11 weeks since surgery and really do not want to fail.
    Thank you for replying, seeing you successful at 5 years out makes me feel like it is possible to be successful!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rex
    Surgery date
    11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I'm only ~7 weeks out and ad the same issue.....gained 3-4 lbs over the past 2 weeks. I had a lot of relatives over for the holidays....plus I cooked for 40 folks on Xmas Eve. Time to start anew....NOW.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by losingit2018 View Post
    I feel like I have ZERO willpower, which is scary because it makes me fear that I will go right back to where I was before. I cannot believe that I crumbled this fast. I've done well today and think I can get back on track but it makes me nervous that it will not take much to be even worse if I continue to do this in the future.
    Thank you for replying, seeing you successful at 5 years out makes me feel like it is possible to be successful!
    It's totally possible to be successful. The secret is to get right back on track with a small gain, don't wait until it becomes 10, 20, 30 or more. But I won't lie, it is not easy. (For some it is, but I am not one of those lucky people). I had the easiest time losing all my weight, and then the first 2 or 3 years were easy to maintain, but now I really have to focus on the healthy eating. My company just left so no more excuses!!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

This is my 3rd holiday season as a sleeved person. I did indulge but in small quantities and the key to my staying the same weight was exercising every day. Every single day. To make sure I did not let the excess creep up on me. I was also sleeved right before the holidays. I did have food but not sweets. I was really good about avoiding sweets until I hit maintenance. I did eat some carbs the first year for the holidays (bread) but then steered clear until I was about 10-15 lbs from goal. You made a mistake but you owned it. Try not to beat yourself up too much. Beating your self up will just stress you out and cause more damage. You got this. You are going to succeed. Happy New Year New You!!

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy New Year everyone! It's been 2 years since my surgery and I get on the scale every morning. So this holiday, after family visited, I cooked and cooked, I gained 5 lbs. so I am so glad this topic came up.

Back on track and back on my back. I am determined to not only lose the holiday pounds but I really want to go past my present weight.

So glad to read posts from names I remember back in 2017!!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by losingit2018 View Post
    You have the most restriction the first year. So you have many months in front of you to enjoy. Eat real food, proteins, take your vitamins, drink water, exercise, you will do great.

Banish junk and sugary drinks for good, they feel good on the moment but won't help your scale!

Believe me, it's much worth after the second year, when you can eat more. It's not only the food choice at the point, you also have yo watch quantities again!

A set back is just a set back. Forgive yourself and move on!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

For our friends who are just a few weeks out : I'm very surprised you gained at that point.

The best thing would be to analyze exactly what made you gain : was it food? drinks? alcohol?

It could be water retention because you had lots of salty things?
    did you change your meds??

Most people lose the first 9 months, and could start gaining back after that point. Gaining during the first 3 months is really really rare.
    Not me talking, but numbers...usually docs say we lose easily the first year (it's our genes) then the second year it's our nutrition.

I started to really gain during the third year with medication. But also during the holidays I had too much chocolate. Not really the main issue here, but not helping for sure (because eating sweets make me crave it more after).

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    YES! The only difference is I had my surgery over 5 years ago; I should have learned my lesson by now.

I so admire those of you with families. We are empty nesters and never have junk in the house. But over the course of 2 weeks my three adult children, spouses, and 6 young grandkids have been staying with us. That means baking cookies, candy, cake, everything I typically never touch. Until now. I am not exercising because I'm babysitting the baby while the 5 older kids get out and enjoy the city. Half live in Mississippi where there isn't that much going on. LOVE watching the baby because I rarely see her. Love having my family all in one place.

I have no willpower. I have been eating and drinking the wrong stuff for 2 weeks. I am not exercising. I am scared to step on the scale. I have even stopped doing that as said grand baby sleeps in her pack-and-play in our big closet. Typically I weigh daily. It is also my first Christmas in 62 years without my mother, which could be one reason I'm such a nutcase this year. I really miss her.

But we can get back on track! It will start with my weigh-in tomorrow. The last family leaves for the airport early. I will toss any leftover junk. I'll get myself outside for a long hike. I will get back to eating how I should. I've got this.

This is the first time in forever I think my jeans are getting tight.

I may go back to Weight Watchers. Crazy as it sounds, it really helped keep me accountable last time I was up a little. As a lifetime member I'm free when I get back to goal.
    Oh Sharon, baking sugar cookies and making a gingerbread house with grands started the problem for me. I went up to "goal", and I have nos cales down here in SC where we are visiting friends for 2 weeks. Trying to make wise choices -- but pretty sure it will show up when I get home, lol.

HOWEVER, I know how to get back on track, and have plans in place to do so immediately when we get home. And back to Planet Fitness. I am getting in my steps. But barely.

However, "man does not live by bread alone" and making memories is an important part of living our life/.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

"However, "man does not live by bread alone" and making memories is an important part of living our life"
    This is so true Annie.
    I allowed myself some grace over the holiday period and certainly ate things I normally wouldn't. However 80% of the time I ate "normally" and had a few treats here and there....ok, more than a few if I'm being honest ;-).
    Luckily I am still at the same weight I was before Christmas and am back at work today and 100% back into my eating routine and looking forward to it.