10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default My LONG, personal story leading up to this weeks small victory :)

Im going to get personal here. Reason being, all these things that I've gone through have contributed to my weight gain, loss, health problems, yo-yo dieting and eventually success. I don't want anyone to pity me, feel bad for me or praise me. I just know that there is power in overcoming obstacles and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are people out there that live what I have lived. I hope to bring encouragement by telling my story.

In 1998, when I married my first husband at the age of 18, I weighed 215. I honestly don't remember a time before 16 years old where I weighed less than that. I knew from a very young age that I wanted to be a mom so we started trying right away. I suffered with infertility for what seemed like forever. I seen an ob/gyn that told me I had Endometriosis and I would never have kids. I was old enough to be married but was far from wise or knowledgeable about the womans cycle and why I had cycles only every few months since the age of 12. In early 2003, I finally seen another ob/gyn. He diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and told me that my last doctor was crazy to tell me I'd never have children. He put me on Metformin the first week of February and by Valentines Day, I was pregnant. In October of 2003, I had my first daughter and was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 13 months later. I didn't gain much with my first as far as weight on the scale but I did go up in size, which was a little confusing to me. Since I had such a hard time getting pregnant the first time, I didn't see the need in being on birth control. 17 months later, we decided we were going to try again and I got pregnant the first try. 1 month later, he got a wild hair and decided to leave. By the time I was 8 months pregnant, I weighed around 250 and had fallen in love again. He didn't care that I was getting divorced and had 2 kids with my ex. He just wanted to make sure that my daughters had a daddy, or so I was made to believe. I married him in August 2006, had my gallbladder removed in October 2006 and got pregnant with my third daughter not even a month later. When I had her, I topped the scale at 315. I stayed around 296 for the next 8 years. I had tried many fad diets but was never successful because I didn't really care. When I married the second husband, I had moved away from all my friends & family. I was secluded on our property in the woods. I didn't make any friends because if I wasn't in the house cleaning or cooking for him, all I heard was nagging. What little exercise I was getting diminished significantly. At the end of 2011, my stepsister & her family moved next door, on our property. It was nice to have someone close again. In the May of 2012, my husband choked me while my kids were outside playing. I had told someone who I thought was a friend that I was going to leave. She called office of children & youth because her husband announced he had feelings for me and wanted to rescue me. This resulted in me having to move next door with my sister & her family (9 people in a 2 bedroom single wide trailer) while my husband & I completed a safety program and counseling program. I wasn't interested in another man. I just wanted to get my family back together, get my husband the help he needed and vowed to never make another friend. In October, we had completed/graduated the programs required and I moved back home. On the 23rd of October 2012, I filed for disability because the MS had taken a toll on my body. Two days later, I had caught my husband cheating with a co-worker that he had fallen in love with the 5 months we weren't allowed to be together. Alone again and unable to work, I moved a friends friend in with me to help me pay the bills. He was 10 years younger than me without a place to live so I figured we would help each other out. Shortly after, I started having issues walking, had serious sciatica pain and the doctors were taking MONTHS finding out what was wrong with me. I was walking with a cane and couldn't stand for longer than 2 minutes at a time which made it difficult for showers & washing my hair. This guy I moved in started doing everything for me. Driving my kids to the bus stop, making sure supper was on the table, taking me to every appointment, paying the bills, making sure the kids were taken care of and becoming a part of my family. My girls were even calling him 'Daddy Chad' because both of my ex husbands were out of their life. In March of 2015, I was finally diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis and was referred to a neurosurgeon. Weeks went by and I still hadn't heard from the neurosurgeon. Over a 2 day span, I went numb from the neck down to my toes, could not urinate and went almost completely blind in my left eye. Thinking it was a MS relapse, I called my neurologist and asked for home health to come do 3 days of IV steroids. A MS friend of mine from my support group said "Michelle, that doesn't sound like MS, that sounds like it's your back. The same thing happened to me and you need to go to the ER." I was stubborn. I didn't want to go to the ER just for them to send me home so I waited another day. Then the pain from not being able to urinate got so bad, I couldn't take it anymore. I sat in the lobby for 5 hours. By the time I got to a room, it had been 48 hours since I had gone to the bathroom. The nurse said to me, "There's no way that you haven't gone to the bathroom in 2 days." I told him that I needed a catheter because I felt like my bladder was going to rupture at that point. He told me that the bladder CAN hold up to 600 ml and that he's sure that the doctor won't let him cath me. He left the room and came back to scan my bladder. He said that while you're awake, you typically only hold up to 400 ml. When he scanned me, I had over 900 ml in my bladder and he rushed to get the doctor. They cathed me immediately, gave me IV pain meds, knocked me out and did a MRI. Turned out that the nerve that was being pinched from the bulging disc in my back was pinching the nerve to my bladder. They wanted to rush me into surgery but I had eaten that day so they put in a permanent catheter and took me in at 5:30 the next morning. The day after my surgery, I could walk, stand and pee without any pain. No cane, wheelchair or walker needed. I was still numb from the chest down. I ended up with permanent nerve damage because of it. I have very little feeling (if pinched or touched with a needle) from my stomach done. I can feel pressure but not the actual touch. I can feel cold but not so much hot. If I shave my legs, when the hair starts growing back, it feels like someone has set fire to them. My surgeon came in to check on me the next day and said "Michelle, if you don't lose weight, you're gonna be seeing me again within a year for a fusion and that's a promise." I watched my sister go through that at 17 years old so I got serious. I went home, threw out all my Mountain Dew, junk food and unhealthy meals. I lost 20 lbs just counting calories. At 6 weeks post op, I started light exercise and then shortly after, Zumba. Then I found my then 11 year old daughters secret diary. My stepsisters husband (the one we were made to live with by office of children & youth, as well as the man that was staying with me, had been raping her. My brother in law started when she was 8 and my roommate when she was 9. Within 3 weeks, the brother in law was arrested & charged and 3 months later, the roommate was arrested & charged. 6 months after my first surgery, I was down 60 lbs... 236 lbs and that all too familiar sciatica came back but I felt it on the opposite leg this time. I called my doctor to leave him a message. Two days later, he called me in for a MRI and I was starting to have difficulty urinating again. I got the results immediately and sure enough, another pinched nerve and bone rubbing against bone and nerves. No cushion in between my L4 & L5. I was admitted right away and had a fusion the next morning. All those years of not caring that I was morbidly obese came back and bit me. 2 months after my 2nd surgery, I had finally got down to 217. My daughter had suicidal thoughts and I put her in a children's hospital. Court was coming up and my health was at an all time low. I was having back to back relapses and thousands of milligrams of IV steroids. Monthly! I can't count how many times I would lose 60-100 pounds and then gain it back. I got put on a different MS medication which has kept the bad relapses at bay for a year. I weighed 270 in the beginning of 2018 when I started this journey. I did keto for 14 days and lost 20 lbs. I stayed at 250-255 until my surgery. My permanent nerve damage has caused me to have foot drop in both feet. I have braces for both feet but I only wear them during relapses as I don't want to be dependent on them. My daughters mental health is really good now and she even talks about what she's been through in a group of teen girls at her school. I am remarried to a man who has brought 3 more children into my life. I've actually known him for years but wouldn't give him the time of day as far as a relationship because he worked out of town 3 weeks a month. I knew I couldn't handle a relationship like that. He finally got a job close to home and we very slowly started to have a relationship. I've been the only mom that his kids have known, even before we were dating so the transition into having more kids was rather smooth. My physical health isn't at it's best right now but I'm working on that. I love what this surgery has done for me, physically and mentally. I am currently on a steroid taper pack since I have weakness in my legs. If I don't gain some strength by mid January, I will be having some IV steroids. Thankfully, I have this tool so that I don't overeat when the steroids make me want to eat everything in the house. This week, I went with my mom to get her a jacket. We walked by the juniors section. I caught a glimpse of a Batman shirt with a scarf and I went over to it. My mom said "Try it on Michelle, i think it would fit you!". I said "Mom, i haven't bought a shirt made for a female (men's 2x shirts are like womens 3x) since I was 20 years old let alone one in the juniors section!" I wanted to try it on so bad but I didn't want to be disappointed even though I knew I've done really well so far. I didn't want to put myself through that. I didn't want to feel selfish for being disappointed. My 3rd daughter was with me that day cuz she was sick and we had just left the doctor. She said "Mama, please try it on. I think it'll fit." So, I did. I tried it on right there in the isle with my other long sleeve hooded batman shirt on. IT FIT! It was a size 19, which would be a 18 in womens. I haven't wore a 18 in womens since baby number one! 15+ years ago! Looking back on everything I've gone through, with husbands, health, my kids, my finances, etc... I'd have to say that I'm at the highlight of my life. I'm so grateful that I was given this opportunity to be a healthier me. I'm so grateful to put all those years of pain & suffering behind me. I look forward to what 2019 has to bring me and my family. I refuse to allow poison in my life anymore no matter the form of poison. Unhealthy food choices, unhealthy relationships, etc... I pray for my journey, your journey and for my kids to follow in my footsteps as far as making the healthy choices. Merry Christmas to everyone and I hope 2019 brings you more happiness & better health than it ever has before! God bless!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: My LONG, personal story leading up to this weeks small victory :)

You sound like an amazing, strong woman. 2019 is going to be your year! Merry Christmas!

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Jeez Louise, Michelle!

You ARE strong. Keep being strong. You are going to make it! And kudos to your kids for being strong, too!

We support you. Please know that. You are on a good path now.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

xoxoxoxo

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I know you don't want praise but I am going to give it to you anyways. You and your family have been through a lot. You have overcome and are succeeding despite so many obstacles. I am proud of you and wish I could give you a big hug.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Michelle,

I wish you the best for 2019, and a very happy holiday season!

Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

You our a Warrior and a fighter. I’m so happy you have found a tool to help you and happy to hear your family is doing well and you have finally been blessed with a wonderful husband and more children to love. What a blessing you’ve been given since years ago you were told you’d never have any, you not only have biological children but step children to love. Double blessed. I’m so happy you are doing better despite this bump in the road. I can relate to your health story and the struggle with weight. Ive struggleed with many health problems then in 1997 i got my MS diagnosis,I lived a roller coaster ride for 15 years. Thank God I only deal with old symptoms including the need to have a suprapubic catheter untill my left hand fully works normal. Thats the reult of a stoke and crushed radial nerve) then I can go back to intermittent self cathing. Only way to get through these bumps in the road is to fight like WE OUR doing which will give us a much more for filled life. Thank you for sharing your story. God Bless you and your family. Merry Christmas 5C6D451C-E6C5-4F9D-8EEB-7471145C5666.jpeg My after pic taken this Summer
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Loveangel104's Avatar
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    08/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Fielding
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 116 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Michelle,
    I am in awe of you and your journey. You are one tough cookie!!

Here’s to a wonderful 2019 for you and your family!!

~*~Christina~*~

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Wow! You are one strong lady!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    You sound like an amazing, strong woman. 2019 is going to be your year! Merry Christmas!
    Thank you! Merry Christmas to you & your family!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Jeez Louise, Michelle!

You ARE strong. Keep being strong. You are going to make it! And kudos to your kids for being strong, too!

We support you. Please know that. You are on a good path now.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

xoxoxoxo

Ann
    Thank you for reading it! I appreciate all the support! Lord knows I need all I can get!

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I know you don't want praise but I am going to give it to you anyways. You and your family have been through a lot. You have overcome and are succeeding despite so many obstacles. I am proud of you and wish I could give you a big hug.
    Thank you! I would love a hug! Virtual hugs will work though! When I was diagnosed with MS, I learned very quickly that talking to people was going to be my therapy. I've only met a few MSers in person but talk to thousands online. When I was thinking about having this surgery, I knew there must be a support group for it. Glad I looked and didn't stop with Facebook.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Hello Michelle,

I wish you the best for 2019, and a very happy holiday season!

Take care!
    Thank you! To you as well! Merry Christmas!

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    You our a Warrior and a fighter. I’m so happy you have found a tool to help you and happy to hear your family is doing well and you have finally been blessed with a wonderful husband and more children to love. What a blessing you’ve been given since years ago you were told you’d never have any, you not only have biological children but step children to love. Double blessed. I’m so happy you are doing better despite this bump in the road. I can relate to your health story and the struggle with weight. Ive struggleed with many health problems then in 1997 i got my MS diagnosis,I lived a roller coaster ride for 15 years. Thank God I only deal with old symptoms including the need to have a suprapubic catheter untill my left hand fully works normal. Thats the reult of a stoke and crushed radial nerve) then I can go back to intermittent self cathing. Only way to get through these bumps in the road is to fight like WE OUR doing which will give us a much more for filled life. Thank you for sharing your story. God Bless you and your family. Merry Christmas 5C6D451C-E6C5-4F9D-8EEB-7471145C5666.jpeg My after pic taken this Summer
    You look amazing! And you are so right! Since my diagnosis, I've only met a few MSers (as I said in another reply) but my grandmother had it. She died when I was 1 month old. She was bedridden and developed pneumonia. That's what she died from. When I was growing up, my mom helped our neighbor take care of her 40 year old daughter who had MS. She was bedridden/wheelchair bound. She couldn't do much for herself but lived to be around 60/65. Then my mom had a friend from church who had a wife with MS. She eventually quit caring. She let her depression get the best of her and stayed at home. She didn't try to do things on her own anymore. She was bedridden by the time she was 55 and died 5 years later. I absolutely refuse to give up. I will fight til the day I die. My babies depend on me. God bless you and your family. Merry Christmas!

P.S. - I fell asleep early last night... I'm gonna respond to your text in a little bit.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Loveangel104 View Post
    Michelle,
    I am in awe of you and your journey. You are one tough cookie!!

Here’s to a wonderful 2019 for you and your family!!

~*~Christina~*~
    Thank you! I've definitely been a broken cookie. In crumbles at times but my strength comes from the Lord. He's seen me through all my battles. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and that 2019 treats you well!

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by denzel View Post
    Wow! You are one strong lady!
    Thank you! I try my best to stay that way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast