Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-17-2019 08:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hello! Exploring, trying to make a decision

Hi Friends,

I attended my first required 6-months-prior meeting yesterday and am trying to make a determination about whether gastric sleeve surgery is in my future. I am ready to reclaim my life and be an active and healthy person, but surgery still feels drastic in so many ways. I am inspired by your stories and appreciate the chance to learn from the experiences and journeys of others.

Peace,
    Susan

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello! Exploring, trying to make a decision

Hi Susan

Most of us here have struggled with losing and then gaining weight back over many years.
    I questioned why I couldn't "just diet" and keep the weight off. The fact of the matter was I just couldn't. I didn't want to live the rest of my life in the shadows so when I was financially (I was self pay) in a position to seek out surgery I did. It is singlehandedly the best decision I have ever made for myself.
    I love my new healthier, happier life and I am excited to get up every day and live my life to the fullest.

Only you can make the decision if it is right for you. Read the stories here, do your research and good luck with your decision.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Have been reading here since July and I haven't hear one person regret there decision to have surgery. I'm going to be having mine in Dec and I'm not looking back. Best of luck in your research! Let us know how you do and what you decide.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Surgery is drastic. But that’s what needs done sometimes. Mentally I’ve never felt better about myself and I’m only 2 months out. Weight loss and dieting were a constant cycle for me over 6 years. I couldn’t do it anymore. I will admit in the hospital right before surgery I thought “what am I doing”. After surgery I was like”what did I do to myself”. That was short lived. Best decision I’ve made for myself.

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Surgery is drastic, but it will save your life! Living as an obese person isn't really living. I know I was trapped in my fat, unhealthy, embarrassed, just miserable. I also looked about 20 years older than I was. Almost all of us here have spent our entire lives dieting, only to gain back the weight. I had the surgery over 5 years ago and am now healthy and at a regular weight. It's a dream come true, something I always thought would be impossible was possible. I feel like I can do anything, at 62! Best of luck in your decision. Research is your friend.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Huddleston
    Last Activity
    06-08-2019 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 60 Times

Hello I know how you feel. Surgery is a big step I almost backed out, but I am glad I didn't, you will find you can eat almost everything you did before but a lot less of it. Also sweets aren't as good as they used to be, I am glad I went ahead with the surgery, I believe you will to, the hardest part is the liquid diet 7 days before surgery good luck

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Susan. Yes. Surgery is drastic but odds are if you are considering it then you are to the point where you need something drastic. I felt the same. Part of me did not want to admit that I had gotten so far gone and that no matter how hard I tried I was not going to be able to lose the weight and keep it off. For me, it was the best decision I could have ever made. I only regret taking so long to take the plunge. But at the end of the day, only you can make the decision for what is right for you.

15. Said thanks: