Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Worst Fat Moment?

What is your worst fat moment? Today reminded me of mine.

About 6 or 7 years ago at Christmas my husband gave me a beautiful, expensive Norwegian sweater, size XL. (My nationality is 100% Norwegian). In front of everybody while opening gifts they made me try it on. Obviously, I couldn't get into it. I was so embarrassed. So was my husband who innocently said, "I thought no one would be too big for an XL."

Fast forward to today, my birthday. Hubby gave me a beautiful Norwegian sweater sized M. Fits perfectly with room for layers underneath. Going to wear it to church today. Victory!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Worst Fat Moment?

Sraebaer, well done on your fantastic achievement. I have many many fat moments,but I think having to buy a winter coat in the men's department was probably the worst and then it was also an XL. 8 months later and I can fit perfectly into my hubbies size s/m down jacket.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

I would have to say in 2005 when my ex husband took me, my sister, her boyfriend (who was my husbands best friend) to 6 flags. I had a seizure on a roller coaster when I was 15 so I never road one again... I paid to get into the park but didn't plan on riding anything. They pressured me to ride a wooden coaster and I knew it didn't go upside down so the chances of passing out or having a seizure were slim. We were the first ones to sit down but of course we have to wait on everyone and their brother to sit and THEN the seatbelts get checked. I could get the seatbelts on but the lock bar wouldn't go down. He said "I'm sorry mam, if the lock bar won't go down, you will have to exit the ride." So I got up and walked to the bathroom to cry. My ex husband thought it was hilarious... my sister and her boyfriend were devastated for me. I could see it in their faces. I've never been back. My current husband and I took our 6 kids to Dollywood for Christmas last year. I was probably about 60 lbs lighter than the 6 flags incident. I road the scrambler and the swings. I wanted to ride more but was damaged. This summer, I want to overcome my fears and take my kids to 6 flags. They deserve a mom who isn't living in fear and one who can have fun. That's my goal.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

So many fat moments, would be hard to pick one, or just the best one.

Many humiliations took place on planes, when I had to request several times for the extension belt that the hostess would "forget". Many passengers would give "the look" (how my gosh, she is so big!!)...I don't need an extension for more than two years, it's been a relieve to travel...

But there is that time when a saleswomen (was in Paris) in a really posh store where I entered to buy a silk scarf as a gift, and she looked at me with "the look" and said "we have nothing in your size here", to which I replied, "obviously I'm not blind and I was going to buy a gift, but since you are so unprofessional I'm taking my business elsewhere, go back to sale's school" and on my way out I told a very famous writer who was entering the store (I knew him from work) "don't shop here, there is racism against obese customers" to which he replied very loud for all customers to hear " what a shame the way they talked to you, I'm never coming back in that store". Felt good for two minutes, the saleswoman's face turned red then green...

Or that time when a colleague I didn't see for may be two years saw me in DC, I just had pneumonia for like 3 months and gained so much weight in a short period of time (+ 30 pounds), plus it was as always with that kind of weight gain, located in my abdomen area.
    She looked at me and thought I was pregnant and kept on saying "come on of course you are pregnant, you wouldn't get that big so fast" and she started to rub my belly!!! I jumped back in horror!! I was so mad!!

I have so many stories...so sad people are so cruel...

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Congrats on overcoming. Thank God the man that laughed is your "ex-husband."

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

For me the worst fat moment was having to request a seat belt extension on a flight....sooooo embarrassing!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Mine was last Christmas with the grandkids & I couldnt get up on a kiddie ride to go with them at Disneyland. I was so embarrassed! I'm always embarrassed flying.

My surgery should be soon & next year I'm going back to Disneyland again & I'm getting on that ride! Also, my son is a 4-5 hour flight away & come mid March to April I'm going to fly solo to go see him. Hopefully I will drop enough to not need a seat belt extender!!

Merry Christmas everyone!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hany Basson
    Last Activity
    12-29-2022 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

VSG Folks,
    Actually the true moment of recognition (Non sugar coated Fat Moment) was during taking a Flight Medical when posted to Cairo, Egypt. Having been their many years in the past so my records were there still in the old system. The Flight Surgeon an oldish Egyptian Doctor who smoked was briefing me after the medical. Partially Speaking in Arabic and broken English, I didn’t catch exactally what was being said, but I did understand to come back after 3 PM. When I returned after 3, I notice that all the people waiting there were big, real big. I was called in to see the doctor and his assistant was there to help with the language. He was rambling about my medical, after 39 years of Flight Physicals all over the world, the post medical brief is required to get the paper signed. He said something about me, using the word obus. He left the room for a few minutes, so I asked the assistant, what does “obus” mean in Arabic. He says to me, he was speaking English, he says you are Obese! After 3 PM is for all the fat boys. Well the ride home wasn’t the happiest moment, however my wife and I had an appointment with our BS Doctor Hany B. within 3 days, all the test and exams completed within 10, she went first 12 Dec, I did 22 Dec, no additional time off from work other then the 10 day holiday break after the 25th. I never had to come after 3PM again, I am down 94lbs, BMI 24.4 and Laura is also down 94, BMI 24.8 we are at our 2 year anniversary.... Funny, I needed that Doctor to do a FAA Medical for me, about a year or so later, 175 lbs.... All you Sleevers have a Great Day and a Wonderful Holiday Season…. JPMLVM Out!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Being asked when I was due. I was NOT pregnant. I just mumbled, "I'm just fat." and walked away. It was so embarrassing.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I was at a shopping mall and got on one of those machines that measure your weight and body fat and the little voice in the machine said "only one person on the platform at a time". Ha Ha.

21. Said thanks: