12/21/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    01-30-2019 10:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Does your doctor require multiple psych appts, nutrition appts, an Upper GO and

Although my insurance doesn't require a supervised diet, my surgeon refuses to say how many nutrition appts I'll have to attend. She also requires 2-3 psych appointments, lab work, and an Upper GI for ALL her patients, even though I don't have acid reflux, etc. I'm starting to feel like it's just a way for them to profit..
    Surgery 12/21/18
    HW: 230 (BMI 38)
    5 weeks post-op: 198 (-32)
    GW: 140

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Does your doctor require multiple psych appts, nutrition appts, an Upper GO and

I had my sleeve at the Cleveland Clinic. They require 2-3 nutrition and psych appointments. They were great. The nutritionist gave me suggestions on protein supplements, vitamins, meal ideas, and general food choices. My Psychologist was awesome, she identified my food triggers, why I ate what I ate, and she gave me some great alcohol awareness tips. I also had extensive blood work, an upper GI check and other tests. I was pleased with the pre testing and evaluation process. More is better.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Sharma
    Last Activity
    06-14-2019 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Does your doctor require multiple psych appts, nutrition appts, an Upper GO and

I just had my first appointment. They require an upper GI to get an idea of your anatomy as well as take a biopsy, check for bile, hiatial hernia's etc.. All of these can affect the type of surgery you have. For example, I was told if I had bile in my stomach, I would have to switch from a sleeve to a full bypass. Also, a biopsy is crucial because if they go in to do surgery without knowing if you have any type of cancer, it can spread to other organs. Mine only requires one psych appointment but I think it's important because some of us have addictions with food that surgery won't cure. I don't think anything my doctor is requiring is unnecessary, rather precautionary to make sure you are physically and mentally ready for such a major change. Good luck, I have 90 days to go!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You need to get in writing everything required and the cost. I was self-pay and paid one fee, and they told me everything it included. Basically all nutritionist classes, doctor visits (surgeon and psychologist) pre/post op, surgery, blood work, everything. No surprises.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I went through insurance and had to have supervised weight management/nutrition visits (6), a psych eval, an endoscopy, an ekg, and lab work. Those are all pretty standard for a professional surgeon. I honestly would be more worried if the surgeon was willing to just cut and go. All of them are super important. The only thing is maybe the supervised nutrition appointments are a little less but I understand why they do that. They have to set you up to be successful. The ones who have the hardest time with the sleeve are the ones who did not have any kind of pre treatment. People who have gone through a legitimate program tend to be the long term success stories. Granted there are anomalies. You can find another surgeon if you choose but honestly it sounds to me like you have a good surgeon other than the fact that they are not giving you the exact number of nutrition appointments required. You also have to remember that if you are not successful it reflects on them.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UIHCPNA View Post
    Although my insurance doesn't require a supervised diet, my surgeon refuses to say how many nutrition appts I'll have to attend. She also requires 2-3 psych appointments, lab work, and an Upper GI for ALL her patients, even though I don't have acid reflux, etc. I'm starting to feel like it's just a way for them to profit..
    All those requirements are international standards. I've been through several surgeons in different countries before picking the one I liked and they all have the same requirements (also with a +40 BMI minimum) and those who didn't have those requirements were actually the "money makers" who didn't care about the patients.

I didn't know I had reflux until I had the exams, because reflux could be sometimes silent.

Also, in my case, because I did study nutrition, and did a one year supervised diet before starting the sleeve process, I didn't have to follow all the imposed rules about the diet part, but that's up to the team or the surgeon to decide, if they think you are "ready".

Good luck!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

My doctor required psych evaluation, nutrition appointments, as well as ekg, and endoscopy. The appointments are necessary to get yourself ready for this life change. I found all of them invaluable.