Luttrell
    Last Activity
    06-27-2019 02:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default ESG and Insurance

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of topics for discussion. First, I was able to get a complete reversal of the 2 denials from my insurance company by having an external final appeal. This is a 3rd party independent review and they vehemently overturned UMR's decision. I'm going forward with VSG on 12/6/18. If anyone is having insurance issues and your insurance allows external appeals, I strongly recommend pursuing that option. Second, has anyone had ESG (Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty)? It's relatively new (FDA approved 2008) but it's not widely available. It doesn't require resection of the stomach, but folds it inward endoscopically creating the sleeve. It is also reversible if necessary. There's not much data as far as success rates and long term benefits, but the procedure itself is much less invasive.

Thanks,

Vince

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ESG and Insurance

Vince, congrats on the insurance reversal. YES!

Second, please don't worry about the VSG being "not reversible." It works just fine. Really. Trust me.

Third, I would really shy away from any kind of WLS that was seldom done and/or new on the scene. I suppose it's like "stomach stapling." But I'm just guessing.

BTW, the claims of "reversible" WLS are pretty theoretical, since they are hardly ever reversed. In that same vein, I have no idea what the outcomes of those surgeries that have been reversed are like.

I know VSG surgery and WLS surgery in general is a strange thing to get used to when you're first encountering it. But speaking for myself, it has been THE solution of my lifelong overweight and obesity challenge. I know I wax pretty enthusiastic on this board, but if you have been and still are committed to conquering this problem, the sleeve is an awesome tool that you've never had the benefits of before.

Keep reading. Keep researching. Don't make any decision that YOU aren't in full accord with. Don't let anyone make this decision for you. However, I think you do need more information and perhaps some more time to make the best decision for yourself, whatever that may be.

Best wishes.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ESG and Insurance

Congrats on your approval! So happy for you. As for the ESG there is a member on here who had that but I see she hasn't been active on here since July. You can try to message her and see if she responds. Here is the link to her profile. Good luck.
    https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/member.php?u=47083