Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-28-2018 04:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New Me

Hello,

My name is Gloria. I am 26 years old and I am contimplating getting the gastric sleeve. My husband had it earlier this year and I have decided that I would like to get it as well. Just tired of the diets and my weight being up and down. How did you come to terms with pretty much giving up food?

Edit: Okay, not completely giving up all food. I like sweets. I like chips. I like bread. I like the stuff I shouldn't. I don't eat a lot of fish. I love veggies and fruits and even brown rice. I feel like I balance it all out pretty well. I guess that's why I haven't really gained a whole lot of weight. I also exercise. Just can't seem to get where I want to be. But I am ready to make a change. I have thought really long and hard about it.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: New Me

No way will you be giving up food! You will have a pre-op diet which seems to be anywhere from 2 weeks to the night before surgery (depending on your surgeon), and then foods will be introduced slowly while your tummy heals, starting with liquids, to soft foods, etc. I was cleared for all foods 6 weeks after surgery.

I'm 5 years out, have maintained my weight, and have not given up food. I do eat much more healthy food than I used to, and I will splurge with the occasional treat. I love to exercise so it balances out. There is nothing I deprive myself of.

As a fat person I lived on carbs. Now my primary diet is protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc.

If you feel "eating healthy" is giving up food, the sleeve might not be for you.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Gloria,

Hold on a minute !!! You won't be giving up food!

You will be able to eat delicious food I love to eat delicious food but I don't need the same amount.

You will feel that you enjoy your portion just the same as when you don't have a sleeve.

Ok I eat healthy.

Meat, fish, chicken, seafood, vegetables ,salad, fruit, occasionally some bread.

I cook it so its full of flavour and spice which I love Garlic seasoning, ginger, Cinnamon, herbs of all kinds.

I eat a small amount and I say I will finish that later, I never do!

So I have it to freeze for another time or have the rest of it at my next meal the day after.

I just want you to know after the initial healing of your tummy ( a couple of months) you will enjoy food in a new way, no bloating or feeling stuffed and loathing yourself for not knowing when to stop.

I don't like junk food so I know if you do it might be different.

Ask someone who does if that your thing, but I personally love that I can eat a little of something that is tasty and cooked in a way that I love.

Plenty of people will let you know how it is for them but I don't see how you are giving up food!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    01-06-2019 10:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

If you're giving up food, you're doing it wrong!

You do need to eat healthy. You need to eat more veggies and less carbs. And less sweets.

But I had a good thanksgiving. I ate food, stuck to the plan, and am down at least a pound since last thursday.

* High Weight = 339 * * * Surgery Weight = 276 *

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

It's more like "changing" the foods, amounts, types; rather than "giving" it up. I enjoy life so much that's it's better than any foods that I don't eat (by choice) any longer since surgery! I wonder if your husband "gave" up food or just "changed" the eating regime. Good luck on making your decision!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sharjwalk's Avatar
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 04:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

where did your husband have his surgery?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Tijuana Mexico

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria93 View Post
    Hello,

My name is Gloria. I am 26 years old and I am contimplating getting the gastric sleeve. My husband had it earlier this year and I have decided that I would like to get it as well. Just tired of the diets and my weight being up and down. How did you come to terms with pretty much giving up food?

Edit: Okay, not completely giving up all food. I like sweets. I like chips. I like bread. I like the stuff I shouldn't. I don't eat a lot of fish. I love veggies and fruits and even brown rice. I feel like I balance it all out pretty well. I guess that's why I haven't really gained a whole lot of weight. I also exercise. Just can't seem to get where I want to be. But I am ready to make a change. I have thought really long and hard about it.
    First of all, do you have that much to lose? You mentioned you haven't really gained a whole lot of weight and exercise. Is your BMi high enough to consider the sleeve?

It's funny as I was just like you. If you would have told me I could never eat meat or fish again the rest of my life I would have been fine with that. But as the weight falls off and you get into a habit of eating the healthy foods, you find you love them! (The food AND your weight AND how good you feel). Last night was an ahi tuna salad for about 350 calories. (Love how the put the calories on the menu now, made my fancy grilled cheese with tomato bisque soup look unappetizing, near 2,000 calories).

I still eat the things you mentioned occasionally. Like I never eat bread except at a restaurant where it is something amazing; then I will have one piece. And if I'm craving sweets I'll buy a few 5 cent tootsie rolls at the local gas station. It's odd how I can walk by junk at the store and not even think about it. Or bike past this restaurant we used to go to that serves cinnamon rolls as big as my face and laugh about it.

Good luck making your decision, only you can decide what is right for you. If you are only 26 and obese, I would say get healthy now and don't wait for years of complications and health issues like many of us did. You have your whole life ahead of you!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    It's more like "changing" the foods, amounts, types; rather than "giving" it up. I enjoy life so much that's it's better than any foods that I don't eat (by choice) any longer since surgery! I wonder if your husband "gave" up food or just "changed" the eating regime. Good luck on making your decision!

Perfect answer!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

My BMI is a 41.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My BMI is a 41.
    Then I would go for it! But it's a totally personal decision, so keep doing your research.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Well, I scheduled my appt. I have decided it's worth the change. I miss being able to do certain things and i think losing the weight with the surgery will be the best way for me. Just got all my pre op instructions. Surgery is 2-22-19

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Well, I scheduled my appt. I have decided it's worth the change. I miss being able to do certain things and i think losing the weight with the surgery will be the best way for me. Just got all my pre op instructions. Surgery is 2-22-19
    I think it will be a wonderful decision since you understand from your husband's experience the changes you'll be making. But doing it together could be fun! I eat primarily healthy foods -- and while I can eat small amounts of whatever I want, if its not healthy, I usually feel pretty punky afterwards....just really not worth it.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Gloria. While I did avoid most carbs in the beginning when I was losing to help me lose quickly, I eat what I want now. I still make a conscious choice to eat healthy because I do not want to get fat again but I do eat everything in moderation. I have chips, bread, and sweets. But mostly I eat healthy and I do not overindulge in the bad things. I do exercise regularly so that also allows me to eat what I want. You have seen your hubby go through the process but because he is still pretty early (less than a year post op) you have not really seen the long term of living a sleeved life. I am just over 2 years post op and being a sleeved person is totally fabulous and easy. I am happily maintaining and love my sleeve.