Surgery date
    01/15/2019
    Last Activity
    03-15-2019 01:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Sleeve in January

New to this site. I知 going to Mexico and getting my sleeve in January. I have battled with being overweight my whole life and I知 tired of the yo-yo back and forth. There are a few things I知 nervous about.
    #1. I have no health problems besides some anxiety but I致e heard that this surgery causes health issues. Does anyone know about that?

#2 I have a head full of hair, is it true that biotin helps prevent the hair thinning?

#3 Pain after surgery, how tolerable is the pain after surgery?

Any answers are appreciated! I知 super nervous!

Saige

2. The following 16 users said welcome Flemingrimes to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 05:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Default Re: Sleeve in January

Hello, I’m near Orange Beach, having my surgey done 12/14 in Mexico. I’ve had two friends have theirs down there with no issues. Best wishes on yours.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flemingrimes View Post
    #1. I have no health problems besides some anxiety but I’ve heard that this surgery causes health issues. Does anyone know about that?
    #2 I have a head full of hair, is it true that biotin helps prevent the hair thinning?
    #3 Pain after surgery, how tolerable is the pain after surgery?
    Hi, welcome here!
    Exiting times for you.
    As for your questions:
    #1. I have not heard yet of health issues, caused by the surgery.
    Every once in a while complications might occur, but that is the same with every surgery.
    Can you give an example of an issue that might be caused?

#2. Taking Biotin may help, or not. I have taken it, but there is no way of telling what would have happened, when I would not have taken it.
    You may loose some hair, but it does grow back.

#3. Pain thresholds vary from person to person.
    Right out of surgery you may be in some pain, but you will get adequate pain medication.
    Overall it is quite manageable.
    Just take some liquid painkillers with you, in case you need some on your way back home.

More answers will come, but I wish you the very best!
    Just ask any questions you have.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Surgery causes health problems? Actually it's the opposite, surgery cures many health problems. Most diabetics get off their meds. Most people with sleep apnea get off their machines. Not being obese makes you so much healthier!

Of course in rare cases you could have complications from surgery, any surgery. Most of us are lucky and had no surgery related complications. It was a chance I was willing to take.

Most people lose a little hair, if you have a full head I don't think you will notice. I too have thick hair and the only way I noticed was I'd see some short pieces growing in now and then. I never took biotin, but a lot of people do.

The only bad pain was the moment they woke me up from surgery. After that it was totally tolerable. I think I only took pain meds for 2 or 3 days. I slept in a recliner at first because my bed was high and it was uncomfortable climbing in.

This will change your life - get excited! I'm still excited after 5 years!

Gastric Sleeve Member Flemingrimes's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Saige
    Surgery date
    01/15/2019
    Last Activity
    03-15-2019 01:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all so much for your answers! I am getting excited and nervous at the same time!

I think the health issues I’ve most heard about are like gallbladder issues and fhearing loss from losing so much weight so quickly. Also this is coming from people who do not want me to get the surgery. I am a nurse so am looking into the different ways to make sure I don’t have any issues with malnutrition. I’ve ordered some of the vitamin patches and some of the bariatric vitamins.

Also did anyone have to see a psychiatrist before doing this? Of course going to Mexico they do not require what most surgeons from the states require before surgery.

With being a nurse, can anyone tell me how long it took them to go back to work? I’m going to be on night shift so light duty isn’t a big issue but I only took a week off for recovery. (I get cabin fever bad) lol I also am a tough cookie.

Just trying to make sure I have all my I’s dotted and T’s crossed!

Thank you all again!!

Saige

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I have never ever heard from hearing loss due to the surgery.
    The stories people make up... unbelievable, I don't know whether to laugh or to get angry...
    The gallbladder issue is sometimes true, sometimes gallstones will develop due to the rapid weight loss.
    I'm don't know the percentage, but it is not very high.
    I never had a problem with that and I know there is a medicine to prevent that from happening, but I don't know what is is called in the US.

I had to see a psychiatrist, just to make sure I didn't have eating disorders or other problems that needed to be addressed before surgery, like emotional eating.

You won't have malnutrition, that does not happen with the sleeve.
    That is a gastric bypass issue.
    The sleeve only works on restriction.
    Nevertheless you should take vitamine supplements daily, so make sure you look into that.

Going back to work varies from person to person.
    Some have desk jobs and go back after a week, some take longer.
    But don't forget you had major surgery and are not allowed to lift heavy things for the first six weeks.
    That has nothing to do with being though or not, but everything with your stomach and internal stitches.

Yes, it is exiting!
    I enjoyed every step of the way and I am still thrilled.

Where in Mexico are you going?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Not in my case!

I'm almost 4.5 years post-op, lost 100 pounds, have maintained it ever since, cancelled knee replacement surgery, walk 10-15K steps/day, do yoga, aquarobics, have 23% fat (in the "lean" category for my gender and age), scored 1.0 as a bad/good cholesterol ratio this fall (you can't get any better than that), and I do ANYTHING I can think of to do -- and that's a lot!

Oh, and I'm 73 years old. WLS changed my life 100% for the better. Oh ... and I love food and eat so nutritiously now. Still enjoy my daily glass of wine and an occasional dessert, go on cruises, gain a few pounds, come home and lose it.

Don't hesitate -- have this surgery, dramatically change your lifestyle (get more active, eat better, take all your vitamins) and LIVE!

Best wishes!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I've heard of some gallbladder trouble, but hearing loss, never. (Not to say it's never happened, but I've been on these boards for over 5 years and it hasn't been mentioned). I think the gallbladder statistics are pretty low, but I don't know. I never had any issues.

I had to talk to a psychiatrist. No biggie. I also had quite a few classes before surgery to learn all about the vitamins, protein drinks, eating schedule, everything. It was a lot to take in but I was well prepared!

I took 2 weeks off teaching and it was perfect for me. I basically slept the first week, and adjusted to my new lifestyle the second.

Best of luck to you!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Saige.
    1. Complications can happen as with any surgery. I think that is maybe what you meant? The only health issue really is that you can be vitamin deficient if you do not eat properly and take vitamins. You can also develop acid reflux. For a great site about these kind of info go to this site ----> https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gast...erence-manual/
    2. Biotin helps with regrowth but does not prevent it from falling out. Roughly 40% of weight loss surgery patients will have varying degrees of hair loss. It is luck of the draw. Some is minor and barely noticeable while others have it more obvious. It only lasts a few months so it is not that hard to deal with.
    3. It is not unbearable pain. The worst is the first week. It gets a little easier each day. A heating pad and body pillows can make you a lot more comfortable.

This surgery is totally worth it!