Surgery date
    06/15/2018
    Last Activity
    08-08-2019 08:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Hello I am a new member to Forum

Had my sleeve surgery in June 2018 and down 70 pounds now. Joined this forum to compare some of the things I am experiencing with others because we all have questions, worries and success stories during our journeys.
    My start weight 270 and am at 199 today. I use the "weigh in" app on my Iphone and every morning log in my weight to keep me motivated. I was hitting plateaus along the way but stuck to eating healthy and following the plan kicks in the weight loss a little slower as weeks go by you tend to slow down and that's normal so you have to stay positive and not think about it.
    I did this surgery because of my chronic pain from a life of racing off road motorcycles and have had many broken bones and surgeries with screws and pins and hip replacement, broken every rib on right side, torn Achilles tendons, severe osteoarthritis, too much to list and had to give up riding motorcycles in 2010 with pinched spinal cord in my neck... so every year I would gain weight from not being able to exercise like I always did with racing and playing golf, hiking, mountain biking and all the other activities that would burn calories, so taking weight off I thought would help my pain but it didn't help at all but I feel way better about my appearance now. I always Fly Fished and now we are taking monthly fishing trips and being outdoors with my wife getting a little exercise fishing and celebrating her being cancer free now and making time for ourselves is number #1 going on these little adventure trips.
    It was a huge decision to do this surgery and my Family does not even know I had it, my wife was fine with my weight before the surgery but she supported me 100% and knowing my sister in law and brother in law both had this surgery and both safe and healthy I decided to go for it.
    The sleeve is not a magic weight loss tool, the sleeve wont make you loose weight, you have to eat right and have that mindset before you have the surgery or you will not loose weight.
    I have changed the way I eat, and will share some of my things I do for meals and snacks when I have time to post them. I just started having a couple glasses of Wine in the evenings so that was something in my goal when I lost 70 pounds I would have my wine again.

Glad to find this forum for support and answers and helping others with their struggles and congratulating those with their accomplishments.
    Best to all,
    Steve

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 20 users said welcome Fly Fisher to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rex
    Surgery date
    11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Re: Hello I am a new member to Forum

Welcome Fly Fisher!

It looks like you have had a lot of success with your weight-loss. That will definitely ease the pressure on your joints. There are some very successful and knowledgeable VGS veterans on this site that share a lto of great tips on gettting through the early stages and maintenance stages.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome, and what a wonderful story to read about using the tool, and then going forward with new adventures for you and your wife. Life is good. Hope the pain issue gets better! But your a winner either way!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome. Great story thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have everything under control.
    This is a great place to offer and receive support and advise.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Fly Fisher's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/15/2018
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

How I found this site was I was wondering about how much food I was eating and see what others had to say, I normally prepare scrambled eggs with diced up Kale or Power greens salad mix with them so I know I am getting nutrients, onions, salsa, and sometimes a little cheese... a little! and then put them into small Tupperware containers so I have something to grab in a hurry when I get hungry, I love the Trader Joe's Green Chile Verde Salsa mild and gives the eggs a great flavor, sometimes if its lunch I take baby Kale, or power greens mix and make a salad with a little of the eggs on top and add a couple cherry tomatoes, a couple garlic stuffed green olives, some steamed broccoli or cauliflower and then really good olive oil and a little garlic powder and a little salt and that is a fast healthy lunch you can feel good about eating. I make the same salad for lunch or dinner with Tuna or hard boiled egg. Someone on here said they they were surprised they could eat 2 eggs? that's when I signed up to see what everyone's eating. I will also take some non fat refried beans, on a plate put the beans down and an over easy egg or 2 and the green salsa on top and usually leave a little while I start to feel how my stomach feels.... same with the salad I pause to see how I feel and sometimes don't eat it all but really feel great about the food I am fueling my body with, the thing that "I don't like" about the Sleeve is no drinking with meals... I hate that part of the diet but understand why.

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on all your success. Wishing you continued success on your journey. Losing is pretty easy but keeping it off can be trickier for some as we are able to eat more.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Fly Fisher's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/15/2018
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Thanks Christie, I am still learning my triggers what the doctor calls them, I was getting bad stomach cramps last couple weeks and he said back off what your eating and go back to more liquids protein shakes and said I am only 4.5 months out so take my time with new foods, he was right I reset my eating and pains went away. Was happy to hear him say I don't have to loose any more weight and look great at 190 pounds now and I think I would look to thin if I got to what my goal was of 175 so really happy just getting my meals and diet dialed in as I go, but I can see your point about eating more as time goes by.