Dr. Bang
    Last Activity
    10-24-2018 06:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Time to be honest

It's been quite a while since I've posted for reasons that I'm sure many can relate. It has been exactly 1 year and 10 months today since I had Gastric Sleeve surgery. I started out at 284 lbs and in June 2017 I had hit my lowest weight of 181. Today when I stepped on the scale I am now 200 lbs. Over the last 10 months, I've slowly started to gain weight. Why? I have every excuse under the sun. I've continued to go to my appointments at the Bariatric Center but in many cases, I've rescheduled appointments hoping that if I delayed it by a week or two or three, I would have lost the weight that I gained since the last appointment and my doctor or nutritionist wouldn't know. Well, guess what that never happened so I would go to my appointment and when they asked how I was doing I would be well, less than honest.

Before surgery, I was very careful not to have bread, pasta and minimized my alcohol intake. Just like the doctor and nutritionist advised. I watched my portion control, kept track to make sure I ate the right amount of protein. Prior to surgery this was easy because I was working towards a goal and I knew that if I didn't do what I was supposed to do there would be no surgery. I logged my food every day and with doing all the right things weight loss became easy. I lost 46 lbs before surgery and then another 59 lbs after.

With my success came lots of compliments of how good I looked, how proud everyone was of me, you know the drill. Well as I got closer to goal, the harder the weight came off and when it wasn't coming off, I became lazy. I stopped tracking my food, started to add the pasta, bread, potatoes and alcohol back to my daily intake. My portion sizes started to increase and even though I still can't eat as much as I used to, the stuff I put into my body still has lots more calories. With that came the slow creep of putting the weight back on. At first it was a few pounds and then I would go back to the protein shakes and the weight would come off. That was all great until December when my new job became very stressful and I quickly stopped paying attention. Because it was easier to blame my weight gain on the fact that I had a lot more stress in my life and using the excuse "I'm a stress eater".

The more I put on, the more I wanted to find an excuse instead of just being honest. I was being lazy but just didn't want to admit it. It stared out with being dishonest about how much I was putting back on. Instead of telling someone I had gained 15 I would say I gained 5. When meeting with the nutritionist and doctor, I wouldn't tell them the whole story. How many glasses of wine they'd ask, I'd say one or two a week when I could have that in a day. Eating bread they'd ask, no I don't eat bread. Those are just a few examples. So with a puzzled look, they'd ask what do you think you're doing differently? Lot's more dishonesty. I'd get through my appointment and move on. Basically just checking the box.

When I went to my recent appointment a couple of weeks ago, I was probably a little more honest than I have been in a long time. Something about that appointment changed me. The words the doctor spoke to me when I said to her that I couldn't go back to the size I was before her response to me was "the first step is that you keep coming to your appointments." She said that many people stop going because they are too embarrassed about their weight gain and that they are afraid that they are going to "get in trouble" for gaining, so the end result is they cancel their appointment and no longer go. All that work prior to and right after surgery all gone and they gain all their weight back and then some. Her words have stuck in my head. Those words kicked me in the butt. I asked myself why be dishonest with them, I'm only harming myself. Whether I'm honest or dishonest, they are still going to get their paycheck. They are there for me not me for them. When I got ready to leave my appointment, I decided instead of going back to the nutritionist in 6 months, I ask if I could go back in two weeks. Of course, was their response. So my next appointment is this coming Wednesday. I've decided I'm going to lay it out on the table. Complete honesty.

Since last Monday, I've gone back to my good habits of logging my meals, no pasta, no bread and no potatoes. Three healthy meals a day, make sure I get my protein. The one last thing, I really enjoy a good glass of wine so I haven't cut that out completely. I have cut back to just twice a week and when I went out to dinner, I had enough will power to have just water instead of a glass of wine. I know, no drinking 30 minutes before or after a meal. I need to work on that too. I also ordered a salad with chicken. No pasta or potatoes.

There's one last thing that I have to be honest about. When I was being very successful with losing weight, my husband was so proud. We've been married for over 28 years and he has loved me no matter my size and he would never think to say one negative thing to me. I did tell him after my surgery that if he saw me going back to my old ways to say something. Well there have been a couple of times that he has tried to nicely make a comment about something I ate or drinking before my meal and even though I asked him to say something I wasn't very happy with him when he did. Because of how I reacted, he no longer says anything even though I know he's thinking it. Like I said, he would never say anything to me that he thought would make me feel bad.

So, today October 20, 2018 I am determined to stop being lazy and start being honest. I need to own it. Just like I always told my kids, if you do something wrong, just own it. There is no one that is going to be affected by my dishonesty but me. I can't go back to 284 lbs. I've only gained 19 lbs so it's not too late to get back at it. I've also decided that I'm going to commit myself to going back to a support group to share what I've experienced. Those who are preparing for surgery need to know that weight loss surgery isn't an easy fix and it's still a lot of work. Especially when the weight loss slows and the compliments do too.

Let's hope that by keeping my appointments, keeping my food log and most importantly being honest, I will see the results that I am looking for. Thanks for listening/reading. I pray that I have the strength to be honest because in the end that's what's going to help me reach my goal.

Starting weight - 284
    Pre-Op weight - 228
    1 month out - 214
    2 months out - 205
    3 months out - 197
    4 months out - 193
    5 months out - 188
    6 months out - 181
    7 months out -
    8 months out -
    9 months out -
    10 months out -
    11 months out -
    1 year surgiversary -

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rex
    Surgery date
    11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Re: Time to be honest

Congratulations on grabbing this bull by the horns and getting back on track! Also, thank you for being so forthcoming and acknowledging the real causes of the weight regain. There are folks that won't face the truth about their regain which makes if near impossible to turn things around. Also, it can mislead others into thinking that the procedure and process itself is faulty and that there is little hope (especially when someone says they are following all the rules, all the time, and still does not lose or regains weight).
    Thanks again for sharing and best wishes on your renewed commitment to a healthy and happy life!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh you will absolutely do this!!! 19 pounds. You got this. I appreciate you in advance :-)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, you can do this!
    Just go on and do it.
    I will be cheering you on!
    You go girl!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

How wonderful you can be so totally honest and own what's happened. That's a big step towards heading back down the trail.

You've got this! We'll be cheering you on! Post often and get encouraged! And maybe tell your sweet husband you realized you werent fair in how you responded, but that you werent' ready to hear it and now you are
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    02-26-2024 07:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m sure it helped many of us who will face some of the same issues in the future! Good luck on your new journey. I know you’ll do great!

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank You for taking the time to write this.

I firstly want to say how brave you are to get back on track in the way you are and you know exactly what you are doing so you will reap the rewards of success as you are focused.

I really look forward to hearing more from you.

Good Luck and Be well! I am cheering and applauding you all the way.

Very inspiring to read as I am sure we may too, be challenged further down the line.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

This is probably the most honest post I've read in a long time regarding weight gain after surgery. Your post indicates you've spent a lot of time thinking things through and analyzing what caused the weight gain and how to get back on track. You can do this. We're always going to be here to support you in this fight of weight loss/gain.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this post! Good for you.

You're going to be fine. I can just tell. You've recommitted to your own self care.

I'm really tickled for you. This is going to be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I absolutely love your candid honesty. Too often people act as if they truly have no idea how they gained weight. I know it is not easy to talk about. But don't beat yourself up. You know what you did and now you are recommitted getting back to healthy. I absolutely believe you can get there. In the grand scheme of things 19 lbs is not that much. You can lose it before you know it. I know for me, I have to weigh myself every morning and night. It helps keep me honest. I do go up and down a few pounds but it is normal. My Danger Will Robinson trigger is when I hit 5 lbs above where I am. We are here to help you. Stay active on here. I know that this forum helps keep me in check.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Chiming in again here to say I agree with Christie13.

What's great about your situation is that you are confronting specifically (for yourself and board members here) what your number(s) are. And you're holding yourself accoutnable and asking us to do so, too.

I often see here "I'm gaining weight, Help!" posts that are much vaguer ... no weight given, no hints about what's being eaten, no clue about what else is going on in their lives. Just "Help me!"

It's very hard to help anyone who doesn't provide any information about what they need help with. I know that sounds gritchy. I don't mean it to be. It's just impossible to say, "Go, girl!" and expect it will help anyone who isn't being up front with themselves about what is causing their regain.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Good on you for braving up, taking a real look at what was happening and why, and finally being accountable to yourself.
    This is 90% of the battle.
    The other 10% is utilising the resources that you have to achieve your goals.

One thing I found useful after I gained weight through Cymbalta Withdrawal Syndrome was setting mini-weight loss goals, you may find that useful as well instead of facing a daunting number.
    Also on a number of other WLS forums that I am on we have a "Weigh in Wednesday", I am sure that there would be something like that on this forum as well, maybe under "Accountability" or something similar.

Wishing you all the very best.

18. Said thanks: