Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Pacing

So a week shy of 4 months post op I'm half way to my goal weight from my surgery weight. I was 393 at my first doc visit in March and had my operation June 25th and was 367 day of surgery. Today at doc office I was 304. Once again doc said I was losing too fast and not snacking enough. I lost 19.5 pounds since my last visit 5 weeks ago. According to his scale's body fat calculator I've actually gained 5 pounds of non fat since I started so it doesn't appear I'm losing bone or muscle mass. He wants me to once again cut out all cardio and to snack more.

I told him perhaps the problem is I'm actually following his no carb, no added sugar diet and he said it was ok for me to have a dessert a few times a week but no carbs still(carb free dessert is an interesting question). He wants me to get out of being in ketosis but I'm not really sure how to do that without eating carbs.

Overall I feel good and when I do no cardio(I bike for 20 min a couple times a week) I feel lethargic. Am I losing too fast? I'm in my late 30's, younger than most, and 6'5". Basically I'm now the weight I was in high school. Given I have a broad frame and short legs(30' inseam) I can understand being in the low 200's being too small for me but I always thought the track was to be in 280's after six months and then losing another 30-40 pounds over the back 6 months to year.

My question is how do I stabilize? For those of you multi years out did you just stop losing weight when you got down into merely overweight territory or did you need to change diet and add stuff back in? I've seen graphs on heavier tall guys like me dropping to goal in 6-8 months and it didn't seem to hurt any of them. That seems to be the pace I'm on. Part of the problem I have is getting a real answer on what a normal weight for someone my height with short legs. I've seen everything from 200-240.

Thoughts?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacing

Oh gawd I have no idea re: blokes. But what I do think, and not everyone here will be down with this, but carbs are not the enemy! I think that a lot of people after sleeve go very keto and never touch another carb. I think thats crazy. BUT... I am the sort of person who is a bit of a carb snob so if you ever find me eating them it would be a tiny piece of darkest danish rye bread that took me 2 days to make. Generally there is no room for carbs after my protein and veg but if I do ever eat them I don't worry about it. Something I have noticed is that a lot of people seem to be on some sort of 'diet' which was something I never wanted for myself after the sleeve. I've never been a fan of diets. I suppose the caveat here is that I have always eaten in a healthy kind of way, like I've never been a fan of junk food or chocolate bars but I could eat a very good portion of lobster with garlic butter. I don't think butter is the enemy either. People have such different perceptions of food though so it's tricky.
    RE: Cardio... Cardio is great for aerobic fitness but you don't have to do it if you don't enjoy it, it doesn't fit your goals etc... you could just lift weights which will do a lot more for your body anyway. I love to run but I go for periods of time where I don't, but I make sure I lift a lot of weights each week.
    Anyway, I'm rambling... some fella will come along soon to give their view :-)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

First of all, I think it is a bit silly for your doctor to be freaking out. I think a lot of guys your size tend to lose quicker. Especially when they follow the rules. As for me, my body kept losing more than I had expected. According to one of the sleeve websites that calculates what you could lose if I was in the top 20% of losers for my height/weight/gender I would get to 126 by 18 months post op. I way surpassed that at only 10 months. I did have to start eating a bit more and adding in more carbs to keep from losing any more weight. Now carbs are a regular part of my diet at just shy of 2 years post op. I still work out daily and make sure I focus on protein and veggies, first, though.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Like Christie, I hit goal way earlier than I expected, and under goal way before the year. I followed the protein, vegetable and then a once in a while good carb thing, which I still do.

Ketosis is hard on the kidneys but people on paleo seem to do okay. I do believe blood work monitoring would be quite important for you.

And unfortunately, I do think guys lose more quickly on any program than women
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thanks all. Think I'm going to work some carbs in to come out of ketosis and going to get a blood panel done just to make sure everything is ok. Just get frustrated by what I see as progress being thought of as imperfect progress.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents