Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    11-18-2018 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newbie Looking For Answers

Hi. I have PCOS and type 2 along with sleep apnea. I have been overweight my entire adult life. After my second pregnancy I was unable to lose weight. I exercised and ended up losing weight and having baby number three These were great blessings. I was told at 19 that I would never be able to have kids. Now that I do, I need to live a healthy life and that means a reasonable body weight. I have tried diets, exercise, and insulin. All of which confirmed my insulin resistance. The good news is that my sugar is under control. The bad news is that I have gained weight in the last two months with no known cause. I am seeing an endo, but I believe gastric sleeve is the way to go. I've been researching this option and going to information sessions. My current issue is that my employer does not cover weight loss surgery. I would like to know if anyone has private insurance that does. If so, were you required to wait for more than 6 months?

Thank you

2. The following 18 users said welcome crewchristopher06 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Answers

I have no idea as I was self pay in australia but heaps of people here might know. Another option for you may be to go to Mexico where it costs under $5000... Lots of people here have been there too and can tell you their experiences. one thing I can tell you is that it was an excellent decision for me and I love my sleeve!!! Good luck to you :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Many of us have insurance, many of us do not. While I have health insurance through my school district it has a strict "no bariatric" clause. I could have weighed 500 pounds and they wouldn't have cared. I was able to afford self-pay a few miles from home. If you can't, Mexico is an option, it is much cheaper.

The advantage to self pay is there are no hoops to jump through, I decided on the surgery and got it done within a month.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I ended up being self pay, despite so many comorbidities. As Sharon said there are no hoops -- I was 2 weeks from consult to surgery, so that helped some. I'm fortunate we invested the money in my health, and its the only thing that has helped clear up that metabolic syndrome of obesity, HBP, and Type II. I just wish I had done it earlier.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I went through insurance from my work and they only paid 50% so I still paid over $6K for the surgery. I think in retrospect I would have chosen Mexico as I could have done it quicker and cheaper. I do not regret my sleeve one bit. I am so happy I did it.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member avmatthew's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Speakman
    Last Activity
    05-25-2019 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I was self pay, my sister's insurance paid 1/2 of her procedure but she had to wait 6 months. Her insurance company was very specific as to what doctor she had to go to. My surgeon was in the city she lives in, but her insurance company made her travel 4 hours to the surgeon they wanted her to go through. Either way, neither of us regret having the sleeve, we would both do it again.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Self pay here from a top notch surgeon. Worth every penny. He was the same distance as Mexico for me but my GP who suggested him said he had the lowest complication rate. He's done a few thousand operations and lost one patient to a post op blood clot.

What my surgeon said is that in his experience only large companies and institutions(government) insurance typically cover it so far. 10-20 years ago the complication rate was much higher so it was seen as a last ditch option. Now the complication rate is very low since they have experience doing it but insurance still hasn't caught up to it. His feeling is also that the general medical literature and training is adverse to surgery compared to sticking people on meds and badgering them about their weight when they come in for office visits. The newer weight loss studies suggest there is about a 1% long term success rate to diet and exercise alone leading to weight loss.

Some of the pre surgery counseling and weight loss diet is important because it tests whether you are mentally ready to make the transition. My doc had me go on lean proteins and veggies diet beforehand so I'd shrink my liver. I lost 20 pounds in a month he put me on a 3 day preop liquid diet and then did the surgery. I do think the six month wait periods have a rationing element to them but if you can do it then post sleeve on a virtually identical diet isn't going to be a problem.

On the money thing keep in mind when you are back on solids your going to have lower food and medical costs. I'm off my meds and a meal out that used to be a one sitting appetizer and main course would now last me five meals. If you don't have the cash ask your doc for advice on how to pay for it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Self pay here from a top notch surgeon. Worth every penny. He was the same distance as Mexico for me but my GP who suggested him said he had the lowest complication rate. He's done a few thousand operations and lost one patient to a post op blood clot.

What my surgeon said is that in his experience only large companies and institutions(government) insurance typically cover it so far. 10-20 years ago the complication rate was much higher so it was seen as a last ditch option. Now the complication rate is very low since they have experience doing it but insurance still hasn't caught up to it. His feeling is also that the general medical literature and training is adverse to surgery compared to sticking people on meds and badgering them about their weight when they come in for office visits. The newer weight loss studies suggest there is about a 1% long term success rate to diet and exercise alone leading to weight loss.

Some of the pre surgery counseling and weight loss diet is important because it tests whether you are mentally ready to make the transition. My doc had me go on lean proteins and veggies diet beforehand so I'd shrink my liver. I lost 20 pounds in a month he put me on a 3 day preop liquid diet and then did the surgery. I do think the six month wait periods have a rationing element to them but if you can do it then post sleeve on a virtually identical diet isn't going to be a problem.

On the money thing keep in mind when you are back on solids your going to have lower food and medical costs. I'm off my meds and a meal out that used to be a one sitting appetizer and main course would now last me five meals. If you don't have the cash ask your doc for advice on how to pay for it.

Gastric Sleeve Member ThatGirlKat's Avatar
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts

My insurance specifically does not cover any bariatric procedure. As I was self-pay, it was a quick turnaround between consultation and surgery.