Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Two Year Surgiversary!

Today marks two years! I still feel like this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. There are things that I've learned on this journey the past two years. First off, it is possible to have the surgery and keep off the weight. After countless years of yo-yo dieting, I found this to be the one thing that has helped me keep it off. This was my greatest concern going into the surgery. I had heard so many stories of people regaining their weight after this procedure, and I was worried that it would be a waste of time and money. (I paid cash for my procedure.)
    If you are considering this surgery, be happy that you found this site. I don't live in the city where my surgery was preformed, so I don't have a support group. This forum has been a valuable tool in helping me with concerns and questions. Even though I don't post as often as I used to, it's nice to have a place to come and hear what others have to say about their experiences.
    Two years out, there are a lot of differences that have noticed since the surgery. The most obvious is the weight loss and everything that comes along with it. I do feel like I am treated differently as a thinner person. I'm sad to say that I do think that there is prejudice against heavier people. I can eat more than I could the first year, so I am mindful of my portions and the types of food that I eat. I still try to restrict simple carbs and sugar. If it is unavoidable, and I have to eat a meal high in carbohydrates, I don't feel that great afterwards. I still don't drink with meals and I haven't had a soft drink since before the surgery. Another thing that helps me stay on track is to weigh myself every morning. It lets me to stay focused each day. I can see how people lose track of their eating and begin to regain. I really didn't know what was meant when people said that this surgery is a tool in their weight loss journey. I know what that means now. It isn't a miracle fix all for weight loss, but it is a very valuable tool in the overall process. I know that I will have to monitor my weight and eating for the rest of my life in order to keep the weight off. The good thing is that it isn't like the fad diets that I used to do prior to surgery. It really is a lifestyle change and not a diet and isn't hard to do.
    A big thing that I learned about myself this year is that I'm not an emotional eater, but a convenience eater. My dad passed away this year unexpectedly after a brief illness. During the planning of his services and the aftermath, I spent a lot of time with my mother. We didn't have a lot of time or energy to cook, and were thankful for the food items brought to us by friends and neighbors. Unfortunately, most of the dishes were carb laden casseroles and desserts. I found myself eating what was there and not worrying about how I should be eating. I didn't feel great both physically and emotionally. I didn't gain any weight, but realized that sometimes I will eat what's there and not stay on track if I'm too tired to prepare anything. This is something that I will try and remember in the future.
    So enough rambling. I hope to have a similar update this time next year. I would encourage anyone who is going to do this procedure to get everything straight in their head before doing the procedure. I think that as time goes on, the success of your journey has a lot to do with your mental outlook. Thanks to everyone on this site for your recommendations and advice, it really has helped. I hope to pass it on and be a help to others on their journey.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Two Year Surgiversary!

Sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on your success :-)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your story.
    I am sorry for the loss of your father...

But it sounds like you are doing great!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Way to go, even during the hard times! Self care and a working tool surely make a difference and I think success leads to success. Thank you for sharing.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy surgiversary!! I am almost to my 2 year as well. Congrats to you for keeping your weight off. You are definitely an inspiration to others!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents