Surgeon
    James Atkinson
    Last Activity
    02-22-2019 12:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newbie here

Okay, so I have done some research on YouTube like one of the members suggested and I have some questions.

After your consultation how long until your surgery with insurance?

Did it hurt day 1 ?

When you finally lost the weight did you have saggy skin? If so, how did you deal with it ?

Did you go to the gym ? If so, how long after surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie here

Quote Originally Posted by Ahill95 View Post
    Okay, so I have done some research on YouTube like one of the members suggested and I have some questions.

Did it hurt day 1 ?

When you finally lost the weight did you have saggy skin? If so, how did you deal with it ?

I was self-pay, so 2 weeks from consult to surgery.
    Saggy skin -- not too bad. I'm 66, 80 lbs down at goal after a year. Some "splunk" on the arms, and a bit of belly - but I had 4 c-sections and 3 abdominal surgeries.
    Exercise? Still haven't gone back to the gym but do walk 10,000 steps goal a day.
    Day 1 did NOT hurt; didn't even need tylenol. Did have 2nd surgery and transfusions, but still up and around walking that evening.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

After your consultation how long until your surgery with insurance? - I have BCBS and I was approved within 30 days of my paperwork being submitted. IIt was fall and I elected to wait until the start of the new year because I didn't want to pay my deductable at the end of the year. I preferred to wait pay it at the beginning of the year just in case I had complications I would get the full benefit of my deductable payment.

Did it hurt day 1 ? No pain, it hurt less than a stubbed toe, having a fingernail ripped off, or being bumped on the nose.

When you finally lost the weight did you have saggy skin? If so, how did you deal with it ? I have some sags. I don't care because sagging skin is only visible to me and my mirror. The mirror doesn't care so why should I.

Did you go to the gym ? If so, how long after surgery?I walked after surgery and didn't join a gym until nearly 3 years after my surgery.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi There
    I was self pay in NZ so it was 3 weeks from first consultation to surgery.

No it didn't hurt. It felt uncomfortable but at no stage was I in pain. I took the pain relief offered in hospital (2 days) but when I was home I didn't even take a panadol. Just felt like I had done 100 sit ups.

Yep, I have a heap of baggy skin. Mainly in my stomach area, but also my bat wing arms and thighs. If I was 20 years younger I would possibly think about getting it removed but I don't think that I will at this stage of my life. It is a small price to pay for being half the size I was and with decent support underwear it is not noticeable under clothes. I have worn a swim suit and I don't feel at all self conscious about it and my partner loves me whatever shape I am in.

I don't go to the gym I walk for 45-60 mins most days. If the weather is not great I use an exercycle. Strength training could possibly help with the saggy skin but I am just not interested in going to the gym. I have a set of dumb bells which I look at and will hopefully feel inclined to actually pick up at some stage ;-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dutson
    Last Activity
    10-14-2018 11:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My insurance company (Anthem Blue Cross) made me wait 6 months. They required me to lose 20 lbs. before the surgery. Their explanation is that the 20 lbs. help with the surgery, reduces complications and since the liver has to be lifted during surgery, a fatty liver is heavy and can be a complication. I was told by a nurse that they do some surgeries within 2 weeks from approval. So, fatty liver or not the surgery can be performed. I am glad I waited, although I had second thoughts about every 2 weeks. I was losing weight....but my problem has always been keeping it off. It has been 3 months since my surgery and I have lost 64 lbs. Saggy skin can be alleviated by using Collagen in my protein drinks. It tightens the skin, I do show some stretch marks, but overall am very happy with the skin issue.

The first day it hurt a lot. I was on a Demerol drip and was pushing the button as much as it allowed. Then found out I was allergic to Demerol which benedryl seemed to take care of. The nurse then told me most people are and should take Benedryl when taking Demerol. They switched me to Morphine and everything was good, but didn't need it after the first day. Left the hospital within 24 hours and was walking within 4 hours after the surgery.

I have not gone to the gym yet, too soon, but am doing Yoga. Light. Am getting more energy everyday. But have Chronic Fatique and Fibromyalgia so am trying to see if this helps these diseases. So far, no, but in a year, who knows.

I hope I answered some of your questions. BTW, I had my surgery at UCLA which has a great bariatric program.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was self pay so had my surgery 8 weeks after my consult, just because that suited me, it also gave me lots of time to research too.
    It did hurt when I woke up from surgery but I got some pain relief and was fine. I did feel like kiwi girl that I had done a thousand sit ups! All very manageable though.
    I have some saggy skin on my tummy, a little bit at the top of my thighs and a little bit under my arms. Not a massive problem though, maybe I will have a tummy tuck one day but I might not bother.
    I went back to the gym at 8 weeks and started running again. I was very fit before surgery so was able to slowly ease back into my crossfit routines.
    Best of luck to you :-)

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ahill95 View Post

Did it hurt day 1 ?

Hi I was self pay and it was 2 months wait as they are so busy and good and cheap! $3500!

That is Tukey where I live currently live.

People were flying in from all over the world to have it done and you stay in the hospital with your team for a week its a package and the care was outstanding!

The guy is a professor and the loveliest team you could wish for.
    It did not hurt at all!

I have had 3 stomach operations previously and this was by far the best for me!

I was walking about an hour after waking up.

Saggy skin to begin with as I am older than 21!
    Research showed me to hydrate inside and out so I moisturise with a Q10 cream on all those areas every day, Also swam constantly every day for 4 months and its fine now.
    I will not go to the Gym its too far for me to travel to one.
    I have invested in a bike, weights, and a pilates machine.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

After your consultation how long until your surgery with insurance? I had no insurance, lucky you! The only advantage to self pay was I decided on the surgery and had it right away.

Did it hurt day 1 ? They only real horrible pain I felt was when they woke me up from the surgery. After that it was very minimal. Of course we all have a different tolerance for pain. My husband thinks he is dying if he has a cold.

When you finally lost the weight did you have saggy skin? If so, how did you deal with it ? I have a little saggy skin that totally hides under clothes. I guess it depends how much you have to lose, I lost around 80 pounds to get to my goal. I exercise which I know helps.

Did you go to the gym ? If so, how long after surgery? I was given permission to do any kind of exercise at 2 weeks. I know others have to wait much longer. The best exercise at first is walking.

Good luck to you. It really is FUN!

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

After your consultation how long until your surgery with insurance? I have Cigna insurance and it was 8 months from my first consultation to surgery.

Did it hurt day 1 ? Day one I was really sore. Not any sharp, acute pain. I was sore for 3 weeks, but I had a mishap getting out of bed and I tore some muscle fibers where one of the incisions were.

When you finally lost the weight did you have saggy skin? If so, how did you deal with it ? I've lost 117 lbs, and I do have some saggy skin. My thighs aren't so much saggy but the very tops are a bit wrinkly. Same with my stomach. I do have some saggy skin on my upper arms and have lost some volume in my breasts. I'm 38 and single, so I'm thinking about possibly getting breast implants/lift after I lose another 20 lbs.

Did you go to the gym ? If so, how long after surgery? I started walking right after surgery. The day I got home from the hospital I went on a two mile walk. Albeit, it was a very slow walk. Didn't start doing weights until 5 months out, maybe? But I had to be careful because of my torn ab muscle.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

From my first visit to my surgery it was about 6 1/2 months. My insurance specifically said I had to do a 6 month supervised weight loss so I knew the time frame.
    Day one was the hardest. It was never unbearable, though, except when I first woke up from surgery I was dry heaving. I was given some anti nausea and something for the pain and fell back to sleep. When I woke up later I was fine. A bit uncomfortable but no longer in pain. I was a bit queasy at times but not too bad. It got a little bit better and easier each and every day.
    I have lost 99 lbs on my 4'11" frame and have minimal loose skin. I believe having a good diet and exercising has helped a lot. I am sure some is genetic. I am 45 and had surgery when I was 43 so I did not have youth on my side.
    I walked a lot in the beginning. I would say formal exercise started a few months later. In the beginning you have less energy. But things get better and once you feel up to it I think exercise is a must. I know I love the way my body looks.