Last Activity
    09-02-2020 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Exclamation (Vent) Weird Psych Eval-OMG

Hi Everyone,
    I am really struggling right now and may not be able to get the surgery because of the program's psychologist. I need some advice.

So my insurance requires a psych visit and the psychologist at the doc's office made a lasting impression on me and my husband - and not in a good way. She's pretty wacky. Condescending, weird, and just...odd. One example of many - she greeted me and my husband wearing a surgical mask - and wouldn't shake my hand. Even my husband (who is wonderful and never says anything about anyone) was like "What is up with that lady?" and both of us just had a feeling she'd be a problem. And...we were right.

So the psych lady administered psych tests at my appt and asked if I'd ever been treated for an eating disorder. Here's the thing: before deciding to get surgery, I was getting ads on FB for an eating disorder program and I called about treatment. I joined an outpatient program at night hoping it would help me lose weight. There were two other patients - a man in his 40s who was there to meet insurance reqts before surgery and a high school girl who was struggling with bulimia. The program SUCKED (think: three hours every night of a lady lecturing us like a teacher about nutrition and emotions, and all of us just staring back at her blankly) and I stopped going after two weeks. I couldn't relate to the program, honestly.

I told the psych lady about this at the appt and she wanted the records. I told her I left the program because I couldn't relate, but she insisted because she was concerned that I'd "eat through the stitches" if I couldn't control myself. I was so offended by this, I can't even tell you. I mean, I'm not a moron - I will do whatever the doctor says. I told her that and I expressed concerns that my surgery would be delayed because they need to send in paperwork to the insurance company. She still wanted the records. Fine. Signed them over to her.

So about a month later (today) I get a call from her and she says she has "conflicting data" and that I have been diagnosed with BINGE EATING DISORDER and I'll need to talk to their marketing person (?? why ??) and I'll need to go through several months of THERAPY with ~HER~. Ordinarily, I'd be like "Ok, fine, whatever" but the hospital is a long drive from where I am (1.5hrs) and it's in very heavy traffic. We've been down there already several times and I have absolutely no willingness to go through therapy just to prove to this weird lady that I won't EAT THROUGH MY SUTURES. I really kind of blew up at her because she was so condescending to me.

I'm just heartbroken because my insurance is changing in January and I have no idea if surgery is covered or what the requirements will be. It's very likely not going to cover as much, as this plan is awesome. The doc's office hasn't submitted the paperwork yet because they were waiting on this woman's report.

I was hoping for a November or December surgery. Now I'm just screwed.

Heartbroken. I'm in tears. What should I do now? Start over somewhere else? Wouldn't that guarantee a delay and then I'd have to start all over again with new insurance?

HELP! Sage advice needed. I'm freaking out and SO disappointed.
    Reason: clarity/typo

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hussain U of Chicago
    Last Activity
    03-21-2020 05:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

Default Re: (Vent) Weird Psych Eval-OMG

JuneyP,

I am so sorry your having to go through this. It is so unfair. Is contesting this eval an option for you? Do you have other comorbities other than being overweight? ie; Hypertension? Pain? Diabetes? What suburb are you in? I had my surgery at University of Chicago, they have a good program. I hear they have a program at Silver Cross Hospital. I would try and look into other options. If I can help you in any way, please let me know. Dont give up!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/19/2020
    Surgeon
    Woody Denham
    Last Activity
    09-02-2020 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Mara! How are you doing? Thank you for your response - I really appreciate it and especially from a fellow Chicagoan.

I do have other comorbidities like sleep apnea and high cholesterol, plus pre-diabetes and a history of stroke (in 1997). Also, back pain, especially lately, probably caused by weight. I will look into U of C for sure now and esp Dr. Hussain because I have heard of him! I am also looking into Alexian Brothers, as that is way closer. I just feel like I'll have to start over now, and may not be able to get surgery by the end of the year. Sigh.

My husband thinks I should talk to the surgeon (I left a msg for him) and find out if she can be overruled OR just suck it up and get "therapy" from this person. I can't imagine doing that though. What if she would delay me further with therapy and then deny me?

I'm cooling down a bit but what irks me the most is that she said my Internal Medicine doc (who has treated me for 21 years) said I don't have a history of binge eating disorder. BECAUSE I DON'T. I overeat, yes, obviously, or I wouldn't need surgery. But to take the word of a program that treated me for literally two weeks at MOST that I left? I don't get it.

So pissed right now.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Loveangel104's Avatar
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    08/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Fielding
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 116 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

JuneyP,
    I too am sorry you have to go through this. It’s not fair.
    The fact that you left a message for the surgeon is the way to go. Hopefully this quacky psychologist can be overruled.
    Good luck, and let us know how we can help.
    ~*~Christina~*~

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyP View Post
    Hi Mara! How are you doing? Thank you for your response - I really appreciate it and especially from a fellow Chicagoan.

I do have other comorbidities like sleep apnea and high cholesterol, plus pre-diabetes and a history of stroke (in 1997). Also, back pain, especially lately, probably caused by weight. I will look into U of C for sure now and esp Dr. Hussain because I have heard of him! I am also looking into Alexian Brothers, as that is way closer. I just feel like I'll have to start over now, and may not be able to get surgery by the end of the year. Sigh.

My husband thinks I should talk to the surgeon (I left a msg for him) and find out if she can be overruled OR just suck it up and get "therapy" from this person. I can't imagine doing that though. What if she would delay me further with therapy and then deny me?

I'm cooling down a bit but what irks me the most is that she said my Internal Medicine doc (who has treated me for 21 years) said I don't have a history of binge eating disorder. BECAUSE I DON'T. I overeat, yes, obviously, or I wouldn't need surgery. But to take the word of a program that treated me for literally two weeks at MOST that I left? I don't get it.

So pissed right now.
    I would be pissed. I worked in mental health as a career - and she's not correct. You were NOT diagnosed by a physician; she's trying to scrape off some business for her practice, IMHO. I would let her know that you are going to file a grievance with her licensing group (LCSW? MW? PHd? NAMI?) because you are being held hostage to her opinion, not based on medical records.

Just my two cents.....

And do be sure your surgeon knows she's trying to siphon off patients at his expense. He won't like it.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, JuneyP ... I feel your pain! And your instincts about this "therapist" should be trusted. She's an unnecessary and arbitrary barrier to your goals. And possibly also an idiot.

I hate it when we have to play these kinds of games in ANY system -- insurance, retail, healthcare, religion, politics, whatever.

Whatever you decide to do, just focus on your goal. I hope that this silliness leads to an even better WLS experience for you.

Hugs!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Definitely ask your surgeon if you can use another therapist for the psych eval. Ultimately, if you don't get the surgery then the surgeon is not going to make money. Most surgeon's will go out of their way to make sure your insurance approves you as long as it is not dangerous for you. I think it is crap what has happened to you and fingers crossed that you are still able to get approved for surgery. Big hugs.