DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 6 months post op

It's 6 months since I had my sleeve and I feel fantastic. I had my telephone (by choice) consultation with the dietitian and she was very happy with my progress. I have 9kg to go until I get to my goal weight I have set for myself, but that might change as people are telling me I am getting too thin. I must also remember that muscle weighs more than fat.The thing is am I getting too thin realistically or is it just that I was so huge for so long they think anything smaller is too thin. I have been buying clothes and enjoying the shopping trips with my daughter. My positivity has also been an influence on my daughter who is thin but didn't like her body that much and is now more body confident, and I think that was due to my negativity about myself. I am a happier person and happy to go out and about. I am loving life again. My PT is fantastic and he has me doing things I haven't been able to do for years ( gym wise), I love the training . He also gave me a sports massage and boy was that torture, I think I prefer my hot stone massages. The only thing I am unhappy with, is the boobs are no longer , i might have to consider a lift, but no implants as I like being small again. Hopefully I can live with the loose skin as I do not really want to have surgery again, but only time will tell. Other than the weather, everything is great!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/19/2020
    Surgeon
    Woody Denham
    Last Activity
    09-02-2020 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 6 months post op

Thank you for your post! I'm a newbie here and still hoping to get insurance approval. Enjoy your newfound energy - I know I wish I had it now! : )

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Ellie

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Amazing and wow you are sounding so good.

I was 70 Kg at 6 months too!

What height are you, I bet you are taller than me I am 5'3"

So I still need to lose more.

However, I feel thin in some parts and still lumpy and lardy in others and its true my waist is 33 "
    But so is my boobs and my hips are 31.

Even at my best weight, I was 36" 28" 40"

Crickey it's amazing this sleeve really is something wonderful.

Good for you!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pudsley View Post
    Hi Ellie

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Amazing and wow you are sounding so good.

I was 70 Kg at 6 months too!

What height are you, I bet you are taller than me I am 5'3"

So I still need to lose more.

However, I feel thin in some parts and still lumpy and lardy in others and its true my waist is 33 "
    But so is my boobs and my hips are 31.

Even at my best weight, I was 36" 28" 40"

Crickey it's amazing this sleeve really is something wonderful.

Good for you!
    HI Carla

I am just under 5 foot 6. I do not know any of my measurements. The sleeve is a great tool.

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

Hi Elllie...I know things weren't easy for you in the start,so I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing!!! Congratulations!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Twodogfox's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Charles J. Swannack, MD, FACS
    Last Activity
    12-15-2019 01:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Oh Ellie, we have so much in common as surgery sisters. I'm down 72 lbs and had my 6 mo anniversary yesterday. I really enjoy shopping for clothes too and try, still, to mostly buy on the cheap. I'm down to a size 10 jeans. Some of my recent symptoms though are that at times I can get so so cold. At times I think how can blood be running through these icy hands? Some nights I'm wearing two long sleeve shirts, winter leggins and socks to bed with a heavy quilt and blanket and can't get warm. The other thing is I have occasional hot flashes. I'd read that is due to hormone releases from the visceral fat. I do get a bit light headed when I stand too at times. I'm really trying to drink enough water. I get my 6 mo blood work on Monday for both my reg. doctor and the surgeon so maybe that will show something. I've read that enemia or thyroid will cause those symptoms. Along with the hair loss. I'm taking a bunch of stuff for the hair, not sure its helping. I have had a consult with a plastic surgeon. I feel it will help me want to stay slim if I feel good about how I look. My first surgery will be in the spring for tummy tuck and brachioplasty (upper arm and side boobs). That may be my only surgery. Its what bothers me most and effects what I'll wear. But no regrets here. I'm so happy to be a healthy weight and also feel I am where I want to be. 149-150lbs. People have commented on me not needing to loose more. That is because our faces take their toll with weight loss.
    Me Before.jpgMe.jpg

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elllie View Post
    HI Carla

I am just under 5 foot 6. I do not know any of my measurements. The sleeve is a great tool.
    I am so pleased for you!

Have a look at your measurements, its fun to know especially if you compare to when you were at a healthy weight before.

So pleased for you I am so proud of you as I felt you had such a hard time and you always got on with it and cheerfully showed kindness and support for others.

You are a star!
    xx

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogfox View Post
    Oh Ellie, we have so much in common as surgery sisters. I'm down 72 lbs and had my 6 mo anniversary yesterday. I really enjoy shopping for clothes too and try, still, to mostly buy on the cheap. I'm down to a size 10 jeans. Some of my recent symptoms though are that at times I can get so so cold. At times I think how can blood be running through these icy hands? Some nights I'm wearing two long sleeve shirts, winter leggins and socks to bed with a heavy quilt and blanket and can't get warm. The other thing is I have occasional hot flashes. I'd read that is due to hormone releases from the visceral fat. I do get a bit light headed when I stand too at times. I'm really trying to drink enough water. I get my 6 mo blood work on Monday for both my reg. doctor and the surgeon so maybe that will show something. I've read that enemia or thyroid will cause those symptoms. Along with the hair loss. I'm taking a bunch of stuff for the hair, not sure its helping. I have had a consult with a plastic surgeon. I feel it will help me want to stay slim if I feel good about how I look. My first surgery will be in the spring for tummy tuck and brachioplasty (upper arm and side boobs). That may be my only surgery. Its what bothers me most and effects what I'll wear. But no regrets here. I'm so happy to be a healthy weight and also feel I am where I want to be. 149-150lbs. People have commented on me not needing to loose more. That is because our faces take their toll with weight loss.
    Me Before.jpgMe.jpg
    HI Twodogfox, yes we do! Well done on your achievement, you look fantastic. I too get very cold and cant warm up and its very strange feeling for me as I was never cold before hand. I also have hot flushes, but I think I might be starting the menopause.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Ellie,well done! I know you had a rough start, but look at you sliding over the finish line. Not sure of your age -- at 66, I've had 14 major surgeries, and I think I will live with the wobbly bits, which are stomach and arms. Because I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction, the "girls" are perky. However, with the loss of body fat, the seams on the gummy bear implants are visible! And a bit creepy.

Cold, yes. I wear long sleeves in the house because the AC is on. Now its cooling down and I wish I had ski underwear! By cool I mean 65 as it doesn't get really cold in NC till February.

But congratulations! I think somewhere they advised you weight till 1 year out from surgery before thinking about the other surgery!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Ellie, congrats!

Just remember that most people in your life aren't going to be used to you at a normal weight. And they may think that the new, smaller you (even now) is "too thin."

Chances are you are not. Be your own counselor on this. Do NOT rely on others' random comments. It takes time for everyone -- you, your family, your friends, acquaintances -- to adapt to your new size. And getting used to that may take a year or two. Just sayin'.

P.S. The other night I was at a social event, and a woman I know came up to me to say, "Every time I see you you have lost more weight!" She didn't say it like she thought it was a good thing. I laughed and said, "I've weighed the same for the last three years!" Bottom line -- others' observations are inaccurate, and their opinions are unreliable. Even more bottom line -- people have their own agendas that may or may not align with YOUR agenda.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Ellie,well done! I know you had a rough start, but look at you sliding over the finish line. Not sure of your age -- at 66, I've had 14 major surgeries, and I think I will live with the wobbly bits, which are stomach and arms. Because I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction, the "girls" are perky. However, with the loss of body fat, the seams on the gummy bear implants are visible! And a bit creepy.

Cold, yes. I wear long sleeves in the house because the AC is on. Now its cooling down and I wish I had ski underwear! By cool I mean 65 as it doesn't get really cold in NC till February.

But congratulations! I think somewhere they advised you weight till 1 year out from surgery before thinking about the other surgery!
    Hi Annie, thanks for the good words and support. I am 52. I wouldn't do surgery now. If I do go for surgery it would just be to lift the breasts without implants. I am hoping with my weight lifting at gym and swimming etc will help to tone most of me. I am sure this winter I will need more layers of clothes and gloves.

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Ellie, You've done great! It is truly life changing, isn't it? I applaud you on the weight training/personal trainer. This is the one area where I am lacking and I bet will tighten things up. Boobs have so much fat in them, they deflate so much with rapid weight loss with the surgery we've had. I had a reduction/lift many years ago so they are still looking good but I did get a new baseline mammogram recently because of the difference in my size, the technician brought the old ones up and showed me the major difference, only thing identifying me as the same person on the mammogram was the reduction scars. The biggest thing that I dislike now is my neck! I never had sagging or wrinkles before with it all puffed out and now I have a turkey neck But we shouldn't pick ourselves apart, for me, the bad far, far, far outreaches the good and what this tool has given me back in life.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have done such a wonderful job Elllie. Life changing xx

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

This is so great Elllie. What wonderful progress you have made.

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Awesome job Ellie!! I get it. I used to get the too thin comments as well and still do occasionally. I was even starting to think I was too thin even though I am a healthy BMI. My husband would like for me to gain a few pounds, although he is happier since I have been strength training. You are doing a fantastic job!!

29. Said thanks: