Last Activity
    04-07-2020 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 116 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: FIVE Year Surgiversary!

Quote Originally Posted by EllisM80 View Post
    It's really encouraging to see the ones who have kept the weight off. I know a few people, in my personal life, that have regained it. I was just talking to my cousin tonight who has had the vsg twice. The last one 2 years ago. Two of my aunts had the vsg as well. They didn't gain all their weight back but A LOT of it! I refuse to let that happen! My question is... When do I get to bring in enough calories to do Zumba again? I enjoy it and so do my 6 kids. Right now though, I can't do a whole lot. Congratulations on 5 years! That's absolutely amazing!
    I had a period where I had no energy. I’m talking seeping 13 hours just to make it through a 5hr shift at work. I think it was because of to little calories and too low iron levels. Im feeling much better now. And I wish i could Zumba. But I will start slow. I want to be healthier.

Maybe you are going through similar issues? Idk everyone’s different.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Loveangel104 View Post
    I had a period where I had no energy. I’m talking seeping 13 hours just to make it through a 5hr shift at work. I think it was because of to little calories and too low iron levels. Im feeling much better now. And I wish i could Zumba. But I will start slow. I want to be healthier.

Maybe you are going through similar issues? Idk everyone’s different.
    I believe so. I've had blood tests done and everything is normal so I believe that's what it is. I have 6 kids and I stay pretty busy. Even if I'm having a lazy day, I still get up from my chair every 20-30 minutes. I've had 2 back surgeries previously so I have to move often. The energy is just not there and I don't even work. I already take something for chronic fatigue, which I was told would work better after surgery... that is not the case. I've taken everyone's advice and bought isopure. First time having it this morning. Not bad. I got unflavored also to add to my food. I'm at 6 weeks post op and I'll be glad when I can add another 200 calories to my diet so I can have a little more energy. I'm trying to be patient. I just don't want to over-exert myself & fall. I have MS & some serious balance issues so I'm trying to be safe and get my health back.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

It's really encouraging to see the ones who have kept the weight off. I know a few people, in my personal life, that have regained it. I was just talking to my cousin tonight who has had the vsg twice. The last one 2 years ago. Two of my aunts had the vsg as well. They didn't gain all their weight back but A LOT of it! I refuse to let that happen! My question is... When do I get to bring in enough calories to do Zumba again? I enjoy it and so do my 6 kids. Right now though, I can't do a whole lot. Congratulations on 5 years! That's absolutely amazing!

Are you eating enough? I was NEVER told to count calories, just protein and liquids. If you're hungry have some protein or veggies or any healthy snack. The sleeve isn't about starving yourself. No more diets!!

I was cleared for exercise at 2 weeks, but I was used to exercising before surgery. You have to do what works for you. Start slow and work your way up. Could you go to the Zumba class and adapt it for you, like step in place at times? I go to classes and it's all about doing what you can do, nobody cares. Like at Body Pump I really have to adapt the squats because my knees are a little twingy. And I definitely don't care that I don't have tons of plates on my bar like others do.

Actually I think you can count your 6 kids as exercise. I spent 5 days with 3 grandkids in one state and 5 days with the other 3 grandkids in another state over Thanksgiving. Just got home yesterday and I am EXHAUSTED. I guess that's why you don't have kids at 61.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Are you eating enough? I was NEVER told to count calories, just protein and liquids. If you're hungry have some protein or veggies or any healthy snack. The sleeve isn't about starving yourself. No more diets!!

I was cleared for exercise at 2 weeks, but I was used to exercising before surgery. You have to do what works for you. Start slow and work your way up. Could you go to the Zumba class and adapt it for you, like step in place at times? I go to classes and it's all about doing what you can do, nobody cares. Like at Body Pump I really have to adapt the squats because my knees are a little twingy. And I definitely don't care that I don't have tons of plates on my bar like others do.

Actually I think you can count your 6 kids as exercise. I spent 5 days with 3 grandkids in one state and 5 days with the other 3 grandkids in another state over Thanksgiving. Just got home yesterday and I am EXHAUSTED. I guess that's why you don't have kids at 61.

I definitely could count them as exercise as they run me ragged! I'm constantly busy... between school, doctors appointments (seasons changing keeps us in the office, with the kids and the hubby) and life in general, I am constantly on the go. I stay dizzy & weak. I eat 3-5 times a day. Around 2 ounces or less at each meal. I don't count my calories. I just know that when you burn more calories than you bring in then you can get weak & dizzy. Used to happen to me when I went to the gym. They cleared me for light walking at 2 weeks but told me to wait another week or two before doing Zumba. Then I was washing my stomach and accidentally brushed my scab on my incision too hard. Had to use liquid bandaid to keep my incision together so they told me to wait another week. They did blood work to check my iron, blood sugars & something else to see if there was something wrong that was making so weak but they don't know for sure. I hope back on the 12th to find out.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I definitely could count them as exercise as they run me ragged! I'm constantly busy... between school, doctors appointments (seasons changing keeps us in the office, with the kids and the hubby) and life in general, I am constantly on the go. I stay dizzy & weak. I eat 3-5 times a day. Around 2 ounces or less at each meal. I don't count my calories. I just know that when you burn more calories than you bring in then you can get weak & dizzy. Used to happen to me when I went to the gym. They cleared me for light walking at 2 weeks but told me to wait another week or two before doing Zumba. Then I was washing my stomach and accidentally brushed my scab on my incision too hard. Had to use liquid bandaid to keep my incision together so they told me to wait another week. They did blood work to check my iron, blood sugars & something else to see if there was something wrong that was making so weak but they don't know for sure. I hope back on the 12th to find out.
    Sounds like you really need to find out how to get in more nutrition. A snack between your tiny meals, like a greek yogurt or low-fat string cheese? A protein shake (or two) to sip on between meals? Hope you find an answer! I was back at work at 2 weeks feeling pretty darn good.

And ouch on the tummy! Just what you didn't need. Feel better.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Sounds like you really need to find out how to get in more nutrition. A snack between your tiny meals, like a greek yogurt or low-fat string cheese? A protein shake (or two) to sip on between meals? Hope you find an answer! I was back at work at 2 weeks feeling pretty darn good.

And ouch on the tummy! Just what you didn't need. Feel better.
    I bought some string cheese the other day just for that reason. A question about the Greek yogurt. When I was at the store getting the string cheese, I was studying the nutrition facts for the yogurt. I was told plain greek yogurt but then I was also told to be careful because on the front of the label, it appears like it's the healthy choice and then you read the back and it's got lots of carbs & sugars in it. Can you recommend a brand so I know what to buy?

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I use Oikos or Fage plain non fat yogurt and add my own berries, but you can't have fruit yet I would think. Dannon light & fit is good too, or Oikos Triple Zero is also good. String cheese, a hard boiled egg, glass of milk, something like that is good in-between. Take it slow and steady and maybe increase your activity a little each day. Hang in there, it does get easier

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

They told me at my 2 week post op if I absolutely had to have a snack, to eat an apple. I haven't because I don't think my stomach could handle it. I've made a green smoothie with strawberries, banana, mango, pineapple and baby spinach. I have to drink it VERY SLOWLY! I think I'll try the oikos tomorrow. It sounds good.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

They told me at my 2 week post op if I absolutely had to have a snack, to eat an apple. I haven't because I don't think my stomach could handle it. I've made a green smoothie with strawberries, banana, mango, pineapple and baby spinach. I have to drink it VERY SLOWLY! I think I'll try the oikos tomorrow. It sounds good.
    I add a little artificial sweetener to my plain, no sugar, nonfat greek yogurt just to make it taste a little better.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Cardshark98's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    03/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sebesta
    Last Activity
    06-12-2022 11:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I add lemonade crystal light to my non fat greek yogurt and its really good. During the summer I would add fresh berries, but its too soon for you.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

We have to eat six times a day, 3 meals and 3 small things.
    But sometimes I take 7 (even 8 when I needed that) times to eat per day.
    Depends on what my body wants.
    Seven nutritious small meals is doable.
    Works for me.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Ya, my surgeon wants me to stick to 3 small meals a day and no snacks but my primary care says he doesn't see why I shouldn't do 4-6 small meals a day, especially with my weakness issues. My neurologist agrees with my pcp. I listen to my body. I have to have energy to make it through the day and I can't do that on 3/4 of a cup of food and 64 ounces of water.