10/11/2018
    Last Activity
    10-02-2018 09:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question VSG Surgery in One Week... Want to Cancel

Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie here. This site has been really helpful to me over the past several weeks. My VSG surgery is scheduled for next week. However, I've started to question my decision. I'm actually considering cancelling the procedure.

At this point, I've become fearful of so many things. Anesthesia, hospital care, pain, acid reflux, dumping, loose skin, restrictive eating, etc. My mind won't stop racing. I just don't know if this surgery's for me anymore. I desperately need to lose over 100 pounds, but maybe I can try once more to do it on my own.

Has anyone else felt this way after scheduling the procedure? Is it nerves? Does it subside? My husband thinks a postponement might be best while I think through this decision a bit more.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Marina Kurain
    Last Activity
    11-01-2018 11:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Re: VSG Surgery in One Week... Want to Cancel

Then do not do it or postpone try to lose weight in mean time, this way you see can handle own your own.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was nervous but excited. I would not trade it for the world. I am so very happy I did it. I lost 99 lbs and I am only 4'11". I have very minimal loose skin because I eat right and exercise. Only you can make the decision if this is right for you. I know for me that my only regret was waiting so long to take the plunge. I have pictures in my blogs if you are curious.

6. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Everyone has second thoughts.. 95% of people that have the surgery as SO glad they did it.. The only regret is that they didn't do it sooner.. Please get it down.. You will be so happy.. You are just unconfortable for a few weeks then you have a lifetime of LIFE that you have been missing.
    DO IT.

Gastric Sleeve Member ThatGirlKat's Avatar
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts

I didn't get nervous until the day of surgery. That's when I got nervous about anesthesia.
    I had very minimal pain after the surgery. It really just felt like I had done a bunch of sit ups.
    I do get acid reflux more now than pre-surgery, but it's manageable with OTC meds.
    I haven't had problems with dumping. If I eat a meal of really carb-laden foods though, my stomach is not happy and it has to come back up.
    I do have loose skin. But, it's better than weighing over 300 lbs. Also, I've started working out to help tone and you can take a collagen supplement to help.
    I'm over a year out and I still have restriction on how much I eat. I try to make healthy choices, but I can eat what I want. I just eat a lot less than everyone else.

I hope you make the best choice for you. I know for me, I am very happy with my decision. I'm not at my goal weight, but I'm already so much happier.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I would think second thoughts are quite common.
    I wouldn't trade it for any other decision I've made. My health, my energy, my enthusiasm and my overall view of the world is better -- I feel like I've made more healthy choices since I started on the process, and I believe I will continue to be healthy!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi MM
    Totally natural to have these feelings.
    I actively sought out this surgery so I was up for it right from the get go.
    I had never had a general anesthetic so didn't know what to expect (what a marvelous thing they are!). Luckily I had no adverse affects.
    I was in a private hospital so the care was first class.
    I had minimal pain and once out of hospital didn't take any pain relief at all. There was discomfort but no pain.
    I have not had any acid reflux or experienced dumping. I have had occasional "toad froth" when I have eaten too fast or too much but only a couple of times and I knew what I had done wrong - and haven't done it again.
    I definitely have loose skin, but with good shape wear it's not noticeable on the outside.....and I would rather have a bit of loose skin and be the size I am now and be healthier and happier.
    The only thing restrictive about my eating is quantity. I can eat anything I want (apart from fresh salmon for some reason). Having said that I now make good choices for the food that I can eat. My tastes have changed and I now crave healthier fresh foods. Plus I don't want to do anything to jeopardise the work that I have done so far.
    If you are really not sure then perhaps a postponement might be a good idea. I certainly am thrilled with my surgery and what I have been able to achieve with this fabulous tool. I don't regret it for a minute.
    Good luck!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I could not be living the healthy life I now have without WLS.

Take the time to read my first three surgiversary posts linked to in my signature block below.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    10/15/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cooper
    Last Activity
    12-09-2019 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Thumbs up Re: VSG Surgery in One Week... Want to Cancel

I'm a newbie also. My surgery is scheduled in about a week and a half. I think your second thoughts are normal, as I've had them too. Mine relate more to my years and habits of terrible eating, and being just plain lazy or too "busy" to look out for myself. I'm already missing things that I won't be able to do anymore (eat a dozen wings and drink 10 beers). "Food Mourning" I'm told. I've had second thoughts because it's hard to think of how my eating/drinking will be in the future, versus how it's always been. Like you, I need to lose 100+ pounds too.

But, I'm also here because of years of yo-yo dieting and not being able to "do it" on my own. You're statement really resonated with me, because I can't count the number of times before where I said to myself "I need to lose weight, but maybe this time I can try once more to do it on my own". For me personally, telling myself that was ultimately setting myself up for failure right out of the gate, and then sure enough, I proceeded to fail.

The fear of the unknown is tough. And let's face it, unless you've personally gone through the surgery, you really don't know all the little bumps, hiccups, and even great outcomes that are in store. The one thing I've found from reading most of these forums is everyone really is different. Everyone's journey is different and everyone's doctor and process is different. If you feel you've got a great doctor and you're motivated to get this done, you will!

Human beings are tough and they are resilient. Even those people perceived as "weak" by others, are tough on the inside. Maybe it doesn't show on the outside, but they are tough. My wife proved that to me when she had our second child naturally with no pain meds. Women are especially tough! I could have never done what she did. If you choose to postpone and cancel your surgery, I know you can lose the weight if you want to and stick to it. If you choose to move forward with your surgery, I know you'll find a toughness inside you that you didn't think you had, if and when you need it.

Whatever you choose, good luck. Despite my second thoughts, I'm moving forward in a week and half. Hearing the life-changing results of this by everyone is motivation for me. Good luck!!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

New-Me ... BRILLIANT POST!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Only you can decide what is right for you, but wouldn't life be a whole lot easier weighing 100 pounds less? Aren't you miserable at that weight? Just imagine being a regular sized person, it is priceless, and can happen to you with this surgery. You are worried about the little things and not looking at the big picture. There are no words to describe how much sleeve surgery changed my life for the better. I'm healthy, happy, and look good too! I have an "I can do anything" attitude. So much fun!

You mention losing weight on your own. Have you tried that before? Has it worked? Most of us have tried everything for years and years. Whatever weight we lost we gained back plus more. I can tell you the sleeve is the only thing that has ever worked for me, helped me lose the weight and keep it off.

Sure I was a little nervous before surgery, we probably all were. But it was a breeze, the only real "pain" I remember is the moment I woke up from surgery. Other than that everything was minor.

Good luck with your decision.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/21/2018
    Last Activity
    01-27-2024 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, I questioned my decision and wasn't 100% sure even the day I had the surgery. I remember being wheeled down the halls to the surgery suite and asking myself do I really want to do this; then I said to myself, I don't want to do this! In the hall outside of the OR, I saw some surgical tools for the surgery (I suppose they had some extras or something. I know that's what they were because had seen them on a Tv show. At that time I said I really don't want to do this). Then I felt it was too late to change my mind. I was sure doing a lot of praying. I went through it and did just fine, very little pain or problems. I'm only 6 weeks out and have lost a total of -26 lbs (counting my highest weigh). So, I can say I still wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing even when I was in the OR on the table, waiting for them to put me to sleep. As another poster said, how many times have you tried to lose weight and lost weight, only to gain it back after you stopped trying. You will always be "trying to lose" just as I was and all the others have who have posted on this site have been. Hang in there. Prayers that you will be fine!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    01-06-2019 10:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMami View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie here. This site has been really helpful to me over the past several weeks. My VSG surgery is scheduled for next week. However, I've started to question my decision. I'm actually considering cancelling the procedure.

At this point, I've become fearful of so many things. Anesthesia, hospital care, pain, acid reflux, dumping, loose skin, restrictive eating, etc. My mind won't stop racing. I just don't know if this surgery's for me anymore. I desperately need to lose over 100 pounds, but maybe I can try once more to do it on my own.

Has anyone else felt this way after scheduling the procedure? Is it nerves? Does it subside? My husband thinks a postponement might be best while I think through this decision a bit more.
    I had second thoughts and posted about it here. I would bet most of us here successfully lost weight without surgery. I personally lost 100+ pounds twice on my own. I lost 60 pounds a few years ago. I lost 63 pounds this year before surgery (from initial consult to surgery date).

Only you can decide if this is right for you and if you are physically and mentally ready. But I can guarantee you the second thoughts you're having are perfectly normal.

For me - it's 'relatively easy' to lose weight, but it's very difficult to maintain weight loss. I still worry about weight gain in the future, but i have a great tool to help fight against that and to hopefully keep my weight in check after I lose.

Your thoughts are normal and only you can make up your mind. But you'll find people very rarely regret this decision.

Good luck!

* High Weight = 339 * * * Surgery Weight = 276 *

Surgery date
    08/29/2018
    Surgeon
    Bautista
    Last Activity
    10-30-2018 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I think it's normal to feel this way and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th thoughts about surgery. Most of us would agree that IF we could have lost it on our own then we would have done it before ever considering surgery. It still takes effort to lose weight after VGS, there's monitoring of food, protein, water and vitamins but it's a great tool in losing and keeping off the excess weight. If I'd postponed my surgery to try to lose weight on my own I know I would have ended up in the same place and going ahead with the VGS. I didn't want to waste any more time being diabetic, having crazy high blood pressure, feeling sluggish, annoyed with my body and feeling bad about myself. I didn't want to waste any more time trying to go at alone. Best of luck to you!

22. Said thanks: