11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Why do ~90% of this forum's members seem to stop posting after their surgeries?

I was looking at previous 2017 and earlier 2018 surgeries to get an idea of how they were doing at various stages after surgery, and I notice many of them stop participating on this site. Why do ~90% of this forum's members seem to stop posting after their surgeries? I wonder is it because they are doing fine and move on? Or because they are not doing fine (problems, weight gain)? What's your guess?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do ~90% of this forum's members seem to stop posting after their surgeries?

I notice the same thing.
    If I had to take a guess, I would say, life goes on and there is a life after this surgery.
    Some of us are 100% committed, but these are a happy few, in my opinion.
    Most of the people seek information, a little help or just company of peers.

But after a year or so, you have the idea that you "got this".
    Everything about the wls becomes routine.
    There are not very many challenges anymore, it becomes really familiar.
    You don't necessarily need this board anymore.
    And like I said, there is a life after this and that takes over.

The 100% committed (I hope I will be one of them) need this board for other reasons.
    For me, one of those reasons is accountability.
    I know, I need to stay on top of things, because I know myself and I can slip up very easily.
    And when I slip up once, I will do that again and finally throw in the towel.
    These boards, for me, are the same routine as weighing myself daily, record everything in MFP, drink my water, take my medications and vitamins and eat how a sleeved person should eat most of the time.

And I also like the company here.
    With some of the people here it feels like I have a connection.
    I don't know any of you personally, but the feeling is there nevertheless.

My two cents.
    I don't think it has to do with "succes" or "failure".
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    02-26-2024 07:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Why do ~90% of this forum's members seem to stop posting after their surgeries?

I choose to think people quit posting because they no longer need advice and encouragement. They have just moved on with their wonderful thin, healthy lives. The might be a little Pollyanna-ish but I like to think that way!
    That said, I’m sure there is a certain percentage of people that struggled to embrace their new life long term and have gone back to their old habits.
    Just my opinion. I hope everyone has a great day!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I imagine everyone's reason is as complicated as why they came to VGS in their life; hopefully, its more because they are well, happy and busy.

At 66, I have been on lots of support groups for chronic health stuff, and I like to come and be an encourager, because its been such a gift to me to have the help of people like Sraebaer, Ann2, Tinman, and all you who I've grown to value so dearly on my journey. I would like to return that to the community.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Glenn, not everyone is a social media animal. But I am a social media animal. I've been pretty active on this forum long-term, having been sleeved over four years ago. Part of it is me wanting to "give back." And part of it is me wanting to be bossy, because I've been so successful. Seriously, the payback for me of all my keystrokes thus far is that much of what I type here is positive self-talk, which benefits me directly. I'm one of those folks who needs to "say" what I think to "know" what I really think about something.

But admittedly, after four plus years post-VSG, my own pace of responding here is slowing down -- mostly because (no fault of anyone's) this is a site that because of its wonderful URL (how much better a URL could you own than "gastricsleeve.com"?) it attracts a lot of newbies.

What I want and need now -- and what I've found elsewhere -- is a small community of very sharp sleeved folks who are multiple years out and working hard to maintain their weight. What we've individually realized is that long-term maintenance is much less about battling our food urges and more about navigating life's continuing stresses (that's why they call it life, eh?), which never ever end, without self-medicating our anxieties, confusions, stress levels, etc. with food.

I'll admit that finding a supportive online community is one part persistence and three parts luck. Some good maintenance groups exist on Facebook, others at obesity help dot com and other WLS forums. There are also some absolutely terrible groups out there on those and other locations.

But to get back to your original question, I think the bottom line is that not everyone cares to spend a lot of time online typing. And if contributors are looking for lots of acknowledgment, they can wind up disappointed. Heck, I seldom get even get a "thanks" from persons whose questions i answer. So if you aren't doing it for your own rewards, you could starve to death.

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I with all the above - I think people just move on and our new life becomes a normal life.
    I'm just so darned thrilled with my life now that I come on here as often as possible to encourage those that are thinking about surgery or have just had surgery and need some advice, or to offer someone some support.
    Also selfishly I need the support too. Those with multiple years success are a constant inspiration to me.
    I consider all of you my family. You are the only ones that truly know what I went through to come to the decision to have surgery and what it is like to have the surgery and for it to be a success. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon ;-)

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Rex
    Surgery date
    11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times

Annie, Someday, when I grow up.....I wanna be just like you! Thanks, Dear!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Rex
    Surgery date
    11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times

Thanks, Ann2!

I can see that when I go into maintenance, I might need a more focused and experienced "supplemental" forum. However, being much more of a giver, than a reciever...is my nature...and may be part of the issue I have with obesity. If I can make the time, I know I'll be back on this site offering the same type of experienced wisdom that you and others on this site offer. Many newbies are suffering and are frightened and need an experienced someone to say...."It's going to be OK....it's only a tempoary.....it's normal to feel that way......I also felt that way......I've been there....done that.....so have many others......be patient....be kind to yourself.......it will be OK".
    One never knows how impactful a few helpful and kind words can be on a fellow human being.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

I have been lurking here, (everynight) since July. I haven't had the surgery yet, but will be having the surgery in late December or or early January. I've noticed people that don't continue to post and I'm not sure why. Me personally, need the support and will continue on here and a support group held at the hospital twice a month. I don't have the wisdom that the
    sleeved people have. I'm grateful that I can come on here and get information and uplifting encouragement. I, for one, am sticking around and appreciate all of you!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel similar to kiwi girl, and consider people on here like family. I think we do form a connection, especially the core group on here, and we do know where we all came from with some struggles. Solidarity and all that! I think that people move on and just live their happy lives and are not so challenged anymore as Dutchie says.
    And thats fine.
    I like to come in here to maybe offer some support, some kindness, see what Ann has got to say ;-) and learn!!! I learnt heaps from here and I would like to hang around for the long term just because I have got so much from long term sleevers. Ann is quite right about how you can put a lot of effort in and not get a hey thanks back... but sometimes my day job feels like that LOL! :-)

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    07/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. R. Richard
    Last Activity
    03-15-2023 06:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times
    Blog Entries

I respect those VSG veterans who share and encourage others and wish I could be more like them.
    Personally, I scan the titles of posts in this forum every day and have since my 2013 surgery. I am not a proficient typist so the few posts to which I reply must really move me to take action.
    I tend to skip reading posts of folks who are either at a different phase of the process than I am or those whose issue I can not identify with e.g. those who are fearful of upcoming procedure or those who have had complications. When I was pre-op, those issues were very important to me but since my most uneventful surgery and recovery, I have little to offer those situations. I am drawn to posts of regain and successful maintenance. There I may have something to learn or to offer.
    This is a wonderful site for folks in all phases and I am so grateful it exists for everyone.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Rexcom View Post
    I was looking at previous 2017 and earlier 2018 surgeries to get an idea of how they were doing at various stages after surgery, and I notice many of them stop participating on this site. Why do ~90% of this forum's members seem to stop posting after their surgeries? I wonder is it because they are doing fine and move on? Or because they are not doing fine (problems, weight gain)? What's your guess?
    Hi Rexcom,
    I can only speak for myself. Life gets in the way sometimes. I am still out here, still doing, still reading, helping where I can. This forum really is an amazing place for support and advice. I think at this point we just need a little less. That being said, I read the board often and enjoy my visits here. There are plenty of people on here more experienced than I so I usually let them do what they do best.

Gege

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Wish I could post more often!

Life is busy. Especially now that I am thin! Between kids, wife, work and exercise, there just isn't much time for posting. Also, my job has changed a bit and I don't have access to this site most days while at work (maybe one day every two weeks I have access). And forget about posting when I'm at home, I have two kids that hog the computers there all day and night......

LOVE MY SLEEVE!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I would say some of both...some are successful and don't need the forum and some are back to their old bad habits and gaining weight or they stop losing because of it. Also, sometimes life does just get busy. Lately I have had a lot of busier times and will be absent for a week or so and then come back but before I was on daily unless I was on vacation. I just have a lot going on right now but I love being on here. It helps me stay accountable and I love helping others.

Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I think that it is a combination of factors.

A lot of pre-sleevers/considering sleeving come on here for advice and support, as do newly sleeved.
    Then once they are underway, and life in general continues, don't feel the need/have the time/isn't a priority to post.

Some folks lose the battle, and feel too embarrassed to post (this is what happened to a bandit friend of mine, she has subsequently gone on to have a bypass and isn't on any WLS groups anymore).

Then there are folks like us long-term sleevers who stay on to support others, as we ourselves were supported.

29. Said thanks: