Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Surgery date
    06/20/2018
    Last Activity
    05-15-2019 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Will not enough Protein make you stall?

Hi All,

I'm at the 3 month mark and have lost 31 pounds. Yeah!!! The last couple of weeks I have not been measuring my protein, lazy I guess. But I have not lost any weight in 2 weeks. Today I counted it and I had 44 instead of the 60 they said to do.

You would think that not eating as much would make you loose faster.

I eat breakfast about 9:00 and for some reason forget about eating until I look at the clock and it 1:00 or 2;00 pm. I have be getting all my water in, It's like a schedule now. It's hard to get all the protein in lately.

Any thoughts appreciated. bj

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Will not enough Protein make you stall?

YES. I my opinion protein is the main secret to success with the sleeve, more important than anything else. It's what works for me, protein at every meal and snack. If I get out of that routine (like last weekend visiting the grandkids) I gain. When I get home and back to my protein, I lose whatever I gained.

I still attend Weight Watchers once a month as a lifetime member to keep me accountable and because I enjoy the people, many of them neighbors. There is this very large lady who is not losing weight. She told the leader she hardly eats, skips lunch everyday. Your body needs food, and the protein is the perfect fuel for the sleeve. Eating too little can be just as bad as eating too much.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Easiest way to get that much protein is two of the 30g protein shakes a day. Either Premier or the adkins added protein ones I like. Regular adkins ones have 15g which if you are just shooting for 60g exactly might be helpful. I'll be three months on tuesday and am down 54 pounds since surgery. I had a three weeks and a ten weeks stall.

If you aren't getting the protein your body will slow your metabolism and in most cases more than the fewer calories. There are studies that show that's why extreme dieting almost never works without surgery. That's why people yoyo. Basically you lose a certain amount of weight and your body goes "hold up I'm starving let's slow everything down". The point of the sleeve is to reduce the size of your stomach and reduce cortisol production so the protein shakes and small protein laden meals tell all the stomach chemicals you are still eating and aren't starving. The working out portion is to increase muscle mass to use the protein and keep your metabolism up or increase it. The stalls we get would normally be our bounce back points on our old yoyo diets.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/20/2018
    Last Activity
    05-15-2019 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thanks much, I should know that.
    I have been real busy lately and just forget about eating. I will make sure I get my protein from now on.
    Shakes here I come.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

When I stalled it was always when I was not eating enough. Up your protein for sure.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents