Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-29-2019 07:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Just starting research now. Multiple prior abdominal surgeries?

Hi! I am so glad I found this site. I have been struggling with weight gain for the past 10 years. I was diagnosed with PCOS and with the hair thinning, acne, hair in places it shouldn't be, I gained 60 +lbs in just over a year. I have been trying to eat right and exercise. (Spin class is my favorite). I just can't lose the weight. I am very interested in the sleeve surgery and am curious if any of you had prior abdominal surgeries before getting your sleeve surgery? I have a JPouch (due to Crohns/Ulcerative Colitis) and have a lot of scar tissue from the surgeries. I am seeing my GI soon and will ask her about having the sleeve surgery/risks/complications. I really hope there is a way to have the surgery, even with the scar tissue.

I am learning so much reading through the forums and am blown away out how successful they have been!

There is a lot of work involved prior to and after the surgery as I am seeing.

Thank you for any feedback.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Just starting research now. Multiple prior abdominal surgeries?

A lot of research is the best start to a successful surgery. Hope your GI doctor says the sleeve is OK for you! ( I haven't had any abdominal surgeries so can't answer that question, but your doctor will.)

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

I've had 3 abdominal surgeries and this surgery will be my 4th one. I'm not sure if that will be a problem & is a good question. The only problem I have is that they have done them all laparoscopicly and they went through my belly button will sometime open slightly. Best of luck on your surgery!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/17/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Galileo Villarreal
    Last Activity
    04-01-2020 06:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Dr. Galileo Villarreal in Nuevo Laredo told me I had a lot of adhesions from previous surgeries but with his method of guiding his instruments it was not a big problem, just slower. He doesn’t just punch through but feels the way through, if that makes sense.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/19/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sekhar
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I have had multiple abdominal surgeries including a recent removal of my lap-band. I met with several surgeons and did my research and found the doctor that I felt was the most well trained and experienced for my situation. He was the one who took my band out and he will do my sleeve on 12/5. I think it is human nature to "settle" for the first doctor we meet with, but being in the healthcare field, I have learned it is so important to get more than one opinion. Please take your time with deciding on the doctor. Do your research, meet with more than 1 surgeon, ask as many questions as you need to to feel good about moving forward. It can be done with the right doctor!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/29/2018
    Surgeon
    Bautista
    Last Activity
    10-30-2018 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I've only had a laparoscopic gall bladder removal before the VGS and there was no issue or concerns the surgeon expressed about it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I had 2 c-sections and a mini-tuck/scar revision from the 1st C-section being a botched job. I had no issues but your surgeries are completely different and I would think that your surgeon will need to make that decision if it will be safe for you. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I work in a large bariatric hospital and we do surgeries all the time on patients who have had abdominal surgeries in the past. It seems to not present any problems with bariatric surgery and sometimes if there's adhesions, etc. the patients still do well. We also have many young ladies who have PCOS and have the similar symptoms, in fact, I believe I had PCOS when I was younger. I had all the symptoms and never successfully carried a baby to term, miscarriages twice, however; "back in the day" it went undiagnosed. I also see many resolutions of the PCOS in the young ladies and they are so happy with that resolution afterwards. Insulin resistance & PCOS kind of go "Hand-in-hand" and that is a double whammy when it comes to gaining and keeping weight on your body in places you don't want to carry it, i.e, visceral belly fat.

I wish you the best of luck and you'll never be sorry you did the research, moved forward to have the surgery and live the "new lifestyle" the surgery can assist with for you!