Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Narrowing down my fears of getting VGS

Hi Folks,

First of all, I had to postpone my VGS 2 months due to logistical issues at my new job. :-(

I have been researching WLS for over a decade and have been to 3 different seminars and scouring several forums. This forum is the one I've settled on due to it's ease of use and overall more "positive" and friendly members. :-)

Anyhow, I've researched and rationalized all the concerns I've had of VSG and it's clear that it's the best path to health for me. I've gotten over the risks of the surgical procedure itself. However, I'm sharing a few of the concerns that linger...they are:

1. I have mild, occasional acid reflux/gerd. My surgeon has performed an endoscopy and said no problems identified except a very slight hiatal hernia. I'm concerned that (beyond the 1 yr post-op mark) this might worsen to the point where it was tough to manage.....or even worse... to the point of needing by-pass. (not sure how statistically likely this is)

2. While I am well aware that I will feel much better and be healthier, I'm sometimes concerned that dealing with skagging skin will be difficult/depressing. Also that my spouse might find my loose saggy skin even more unattractive than my fat belly and man boobs. :-) (my weight goal loss is 100 lbs tops)

3. I have concern about on-going difficult to supplement nutritional deficiencies after the 1 yr post-op mark. (Extra-ordinary nutritional deficiency issues). My hope is after year one I can fall back to a a good diet and a multivitamin or two.

4. Finally, I still have concerns that social/celebration/vacation/business travel events might still be awkward for me after one year post-op. I'm hoping that I will be able to comfortably adjust food-wise....also hoping that 1-2 non-carbonated alcohol beverages can be enjoyable at such events.

OK...I think that concludes my whine list.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of these?

Thanks!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ccarter9889's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Beltre
    Last Activity
    01-31-2021 05:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Narrowing down my fears of getting VGS

These are all valid concerns. I have them too. The best thing my doctor told me is to not worry, follow his plan, and if things come up, we will deal with them then. Untill then, it only caused undue stress wondering "what if". Good luck. Everyone here thus far really has been lovely.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Rex, I'm glad your path is getting clearer. I admire how you're researching so well and dealing with your concerns so sensibly.

After 4+ years post-op (was sleeved at 68) and after losing 100 pounds and maintaining my entire weight loss, below is how those issues have worked out for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Rexcom View Post
    1. I have mild, occasional acid reflux/gerd. My surgeon has performed an endoscopy and said no problems identified except a very slight hiatal hernia. I'm concerned that (beyond the 1 yr post-op mark) this might worsen to the point where it was tough to manage.....or even worse... to the point of needing by-pass. (not sure how statistically likely this is)
    I also had some acid reflux/GERD pre-op. My surgeon also repaired a slight hiatal hernia during my VSG surgery. Since surgery I've been taking a PPI (Protonix), but I sometimes still have reflux issues at night, although not bad. I am pretty sure my reflux has to do with eating at dinner things like spicy food, a little wine (hardly ever more than 5 ounces), tomatoes, etc.

A month ago at my fourth-year follow-up meeting with my surgeon's team I requested an upper GI test to see what's going on in there and to find out if I might need another hiatal hernia repair. I'm having that test in a few weeks. I'll let you know the results of that test. If I don't, please remind me to do so.

2. While I am well aware that I will feel much better and be healthier, I'm sometimes concerned that dealing with skagging skin will be difficult/depressing. Also that my spouse might find my loose saggy skin even more unattractive than my fat belly and man boobs. :-) (my weight goal loss is 100 lbs tops)
    I also lost 100 pounds. Yes, my now almost 73-year-old body doesn't look like my 23-year-old body did. And obviously, the bodies of my 73-year-old friends who've never been fat and lost 100 pounds late in life don't look like they did when they were in their prime either. If I were 20 years younger, I'd probably get a tummy tuck and a boob lift. However, I'm very pleased with how well my body has bounced back at my age and don't currently plan to have either of those procedures.

BTW, I know men on this board who have had cosmetic surgery to deal with extra skin. Check out VeryLargeBob and his cosmetic surgery threads.

3. I have concern about on-going difficult to supplement nutritional deficiencies after the 1 yr post-op mark. (Extra-ordinary nutritional deficiency issues). My hope is after year one I can fall back to a a good diet and a multivitamin or two.
    I don't know what your pre-op deficiency issues are. And I didn't have any. But I don't have any now either. My recent fourth-year follow-up blood panel results were wonderful. I do take my supplements daily (vitamin, extra iron, extra calcium and D, etc.). Pre-op I took thyroid medications and still do. The only other Rx I take is the PPI antacid. Fortunately, I'm a healthy person and don't have diabetes, high blood pressure or any indications of heart disease. I do have arthritis, but have VERY little if any pain since losing 100 pounds and becoming very active (yoga, aquarobics and walking).

4. Finally, I still have concerns that social/celebration/vacation/business travel events might still be awkward for me after one year post-op. I'm hoping that I will be able to comfortably adjust food-wise....also hoping that 1-2 non-carbonated alcohol beverages can be enjoyable at such events.!
    I have NO difficulty enjoying myself on vacation, at holiday meals, etc. No, I don't eat as much as I used to eat. My average maintenance calorie budget ranges from 1700 - 1850, depending on my activity level. On most days I eat "healthy" -- protein forward, veggies, fruits, whole grains, and my usual 5 ounces of wine. However, when I'm on vacation or at holiday meals I eat whatever's on the table -- just not in "modern American" quantities.

BTW, you will observe that healthy weighted people don't eat like you and I used to eat pre-op either. Nor should we ever aim to. And they also don't self-medicate with food like we learned how to do. Changing THOSE kinds of behaviors will probably take some good work on your part. I hope you would consider working with a good therapist to understand better WHY you have been unable to care for yourself around food issues thus far and to develop new ways of dealing with life's ongoing stresses THAT WILL NEVER END for the rest of your life.

Welcome to the board. And best wishes on your own WLS journey.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member ThatGirlKat's Avatar
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Rex! Congrats on deciding to have surgery. Here's my thoughts on your concerns:

1. I only had occasional acid reflux before surgery. Now I have it more often. But I take an OTC Omeprazole and that seems to help with things.

2. The saggy skin is definitely a worry for me too. I have lost over 100 lbs in less than a year without hardly any exercise. I have saggy skin on my arms, belly and legs. My boobs are like deflated balloons. To help with this, I've started exercising and weight training (also because I have more weight to lose.) I have also tried to add a collagen supplement to my diet. I know I also need to moisturize my skin more regularly because that will help with the elasticity. I don't have a significant other, but would like to find one. So the saggy skin is a worry... will guys not like my saggy skin? But, I always go back to thinking that my saggy skin is better than weighing over 300 lbs. That's what keeps me going. And the fact that you can't see the sag when I'm wearing clothes.

3. I only had a folic acid deficiency pre-op. Now, to maintain my levels I take multivitamins, Biotin (for hair loss), St. Johns Wort (so I don't kill my co-workers), B12, Calcium, Folic Acid, and B1. When I went for my 6 month labs, everything was good. I go for my one year labs this week and I hope they'll be the same. It can seem like a lot, but again, I'd rather have the old lady pill container than be over 300 lbs. And I've gotten into a habit with it, so it's not too bad.

4. At almost one year post-op, I can say this isn't too big of a concern for me. I just eat a lot less than everyone else. I can still enjoy the food and the drinks. I will say though that once I eat at these celebrations, there is not room for the cocktails. So, it is a balancing act, but one that you will learn. After surgery, I have become so much more attentive to what my body is telling me. Also, if anyone questions why I'm not eating much (and they don't know I had surgery), I just tell them I'm not that hungry. But most of the time, no one notices.

I hope you can find great success with your surgery!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/09/2017
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2018 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Take this journey one step at a time. You will enjoy the feeling of better health!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Rex
    It sounds as though you have researched the topic well.
    My 2 cents worth:

1. I didn't have acid reflux prior (or post) but did have a hiatal hernia repair at the time of sleeve surgery. No issues since.

2. Sagging skin is definitely an issue for me - but not so much of an issue that I would consider surgery. Thankfully my partner loves me as I am - as he did prior to surgery - and is happy to have me healthier and happier. I would much rather have saggy skin that be fat again.

3. I take a multivitamin and mineral capsule everyday as will have to for the rest of my life. I was told this prior to surgery. I have just had my 1 year follow up with my surgeon and all my bloods were spot on. Strangely my cholesterol was slightly elevated but given that I am eating so cleanly now it is though that this is probably familial as both my parents had heart issues. My GP will monitor this.

4. I have just come back from 2 weeks vacation. I didn't have access to what I would normally eat at home (although I did take protein powder and bars with me to top up) but I managed at every meal to find something that I wanted to eat that was ok for me to eat....and I came home 1.5 kilos less than when I went away. Social events are not an issue. People really don't bother about what you are or are not eating. I can eat just about anything now - just smaller quantities than those around me. I no longer drink alcohol (I'd rather have my calories via food intake :-)) and tell people that if I am offered. No one has ever challenged me or tried to make me have a drink. However a lot on this forum do enjoy an alcoholic drink and it most certainly can be incorporated into your life.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Good luck!

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I can't answer this question as I didn't have that problem. Perhaps someone else can help.

A little saggy skin, that for 100 pounds, will easily hide under clothes, and is no big deal compared to 100 pounds of FAT! Nothing to worry about, really. Exercise helps.

I'm almost 5 years out and can eat quite a bit. There is no way I am lacking any nutrition. I do still take my vitamins, the same routine I started with 5 years ago. Follow what you are told to eat, take the supplements you are told to take, and you'll do great!

4. Finally, I still have concerns that social/celebration/vacation/business travel events might still be awkward for me after one year post-op. I'm hoping that I will be able to comfortably adjust food-wise....also hoping that 1-2 non-carbonated alcohol beverages can be enjoyable at such events.

Nothing for me is awkward. I can have carbonated beverages with no problems. I enjoy eating and no one notices I eat less than other people. Often there is a someone that wants to split a meal with me. (Like my daughter-in-law on our most recent vacation, she is so into fitness she never eats huge amounts.)
    Tonight I'm going to a football pizza party with church. I'll have one drink and one piece of pizza. And you can be sure no one is counting my pizza pieces. My life is so normal now, I can hardly remember living any other way. But the best part by far is being a normal-sized, healthy person.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/29/2018
    Surgeon
    Bautista
    Last Activity
    10-30-2018 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

You sound like me in taking years to decide this was surgery was the best option. I went to 3 seminars in about 12 years. I just recently had surgery and I'm glad I did. I did not experience GERD but during surgery was found to have a hiatal hernia- which my surgeon repaired during the VGS. So, maybe that is possibility for you during your surgery.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi there!

I can't really help with the acid reflux as I never had a problem with it before surgery , and have never had an issue after.

As far as sagging skin goes, for having lost over 100 lbs, it's not as bad as I thought. I'm 38, so maybe in the next few years I'll consider a boob lift or skin surgery. But for now, it's not bad. I've been dating and no one has ever commented or said anything negative.

Supplements I haven't had too much of a problem with. I'll be honest, the past few months I've been spotty about taking my vitamins but I get about 900-1100 calories in a day and just had blood work done and I have no nutritional deficiencies except for vit D. which I've had a problem with my whole life.

Haven't had too many issues with vacations, business trips...I feel bad if I can't split something with someone when there is no fridge or microwave in my room to bring home food. I hate wasting, but it's just what has to happen sometimes.
    There is almost always some sort of protein option on any menu. If someplace only has sandwiches, I'll tell them to leave off the bread. Same with hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. If there is only things like pizza available, I will just eat the toppings.
    I have had no problem with alcohol. I just can't drink much of it. I've had beer, I just have to sip slowly, and I usually only end up being able to drink 1/2.

Hope this helps!

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I will give you my experience. I will be 2 years post op in November.
    1. I had mild GERD pre op. I also had a hiatal hernia. Other than the initial few months post op of acid reflux (which a lot of people have even if no previous GERD), I have not had any issues other than on occasion if I eat something too spicy.
    2. I am 4'11" and have lost 99 lbs. I have very minimal saggy skin. If you exercise (especially strength training), use lotion, stay hydrated, and take your vitamins loose skin isn't too bad. I know my hubby has no issues with it. It is so minor that I have no desire to have skin surgery. New boobs, yeah, but not skin removal. It is there but it is not bad at all. And I just turned 45 this weekend so it is not my age that helped. I know everyone is different. And if yours is too bad there is always skin removal surgery.
    3. I do not have any nutritional issues. I do take multivitamins, biotin, and magnesium (for constipation). I do not have any issues as I eat well. I did use to take more the first year and a half.
    4. I drink. I can go out and have non carbonated alcohol. No issues whatsoever. My social life is booming.

21. Said thanks: