Last Activity
    09-02-2020 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Post Newbie Has Questions!

Hi Everyone,
    I met last week with my surgeon and it looks like my insurance will be covering the surgery. I'm shooting for a surgery date in November or maybe even as early as October if it's possible and I have LOTS of questions! Any insight you may have will be appreciated!

1. I'm aware that VSG is not "magic" but logistically, it's difficult to figure out how or why this works when other options don't. Is it the size of the stomach? The reduced hunger hormone (ghrelin)? All of the above?

2. For those of you who had a lower bmi to start, and have kept the weight off, do you think the surgery gave you a boost that just dieting alone or a program like WW, Jenny Craig, Atkins, etc. didn't give you?

3. What keeps you motivated?

4. How difficult was it / is it to radically change what you eat? Do you ever eat the things you shouldn't?

5. Why and how are you able to do things differently (diet, exercise, motivation etc) after VSG that you couldn't before?

The reason I'm asking these questions is that I've tried everything and I *can* lose weight - but never with permanent results. I was thin growing up but in my late 20s packed on a lot of pounds and have had only limited results in keeping it off - usually gaining more after each attempt. I'm in my early 50s now and tired of it. I want to feel good and look good again.

I am wanting a PERMANENT change and I am motivated to do it. Can it REALLY work? I want to make sure that I know what I'm getting myself into. I've been reading the forums and apologize in advance if these questions are dumb. I haven't seen them asked exactly this way before. Trying to understand.

Thanks,
    MP
    (JuneyP is my cat's name)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Newbie Has Questions!

1. I'm aware that VSG is not "magic" but logistically, it's difficult to figure out how or why this works when other options don't. Is it the size of the stomach? The reduced hunger hormone (ghrelin)? All of the above?

Yep, it's both. In the beginning you can hardly eat anything, and aren't even hungry. The weight just falls off! Later on you'll be able to eat more, and you will start getting hungry again, but by then you have learned how to eat properly. I basically went from eating all carbs when I was fat to now concentrating on protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room.

2. For those of you who had a lower bmi to start, and have kept the weight off, do you think the surgery gave you a boost that just dieting alone or a program like WW, Jenny Craig, Atkins, etc. didn't give you?

I didn't have a low BMI, I was in the obese category. Now I'm in the "desirable" category. The advantage over all those other diets is you get full much faster. Even now after almost 5 years I reach a point where no way could I eat another bite.

Being a regular sized person! A whole closet of small clothes! Active vacations! I never want to go back. I went from feeling miserable and embarrassed by how I looked to feeling healthy and happy about how I look.

4. How difficult was it / is it to radically change what you eat? Do you ever eat the things you shouldn't?

Not difficult at all, in fact I found the whole journey easy. Like I said, you eat right and it becomes a habit. Of course sometimes I'll treat myself with something that shouldn't be part of my typical diet, but I don't do it often so I still maintain. I love to exercise, so that probably balances out my occasional treats.

5. Why and how are you able to do things differently (diet, exercise, motivation etc) after VSG that you couldn't before?

It's a whole new world when you are no longer obese. I feel like I can do anything. Probably the best part is I feel good about myself, not ashamed or embarrassed all the time. Hubby and I both just retired and all our vacations are biking, climbing mountains, skiing, kayaking, whatever. Life is good.

I am wanting a PERMANENT change and I am motivated to do it. Can it REALLY work?

This is a permanent change that really works if you follow the rules. It's a miracle in my book. I have lost and regained more times than I could count. This is the only thing that has worked. I've maintained for over 4 years. Now if you are one of those people who go back to eating how you used to, you could easily regain your weight. You sound committed, you can do it! You will look good and feel good!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

What great answers from Sraebaur and she knows as she has been around for a long time. I will just add that I was a lower BMI and just couldn't lose weight even when running 50km a week and doing crossfit 3 times a week. I also had a very hearty appetite.
    Well its worked for me! I am below goal weight and that took me 7 months. im a year out in November and honestly can say it is the best decision I ever made. The first few months you can eat very little but as time goes by you can eat more. I have to say I still eat a bit like a pigeon and eat like sraebaur... protein then veg then carb if room. Generally no room for carbs. My diet was pretty healthy before having surgery but I could eat like a horse! Especially after a run. This surgery sorted everything for me and was honestly amazing. Yes, you can eat anything you want but you won't fit much in and if you concentrate on mainly healthy and do some exercise you'll be fine. Christi is a good person to talk to about this too as she also had a slightly lower BMI and is our gorgeous success princess!!!!! :-)
    You sound like a great candidate. Very best of luck with your decision :-)

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=JuneyP;600508]Hi Everyone,
    I met last week with my surgeon and it looks like my insurance will be covering the surgery. I'm shooting for a surgery date in November or maybe even as early as October if it's possible and I have LOTS of questions! Any insight you may have will be appreciated!

Hi Great News that you are doing this I am of a similar age to you.

I am now 6 months down the line so its fresh in my mind, which gives you yet another perspective from the ones who have been sleeved longer and kept it off.

But it's both for me. You don't feel hungry. When you eat in the beginning its tiny amounts. Then its a little more in quantity max, I have ever managed is a portion that is 2 finger of my palm times 2 fingers again. so that about the size of my palm.
    I struggle to eat that! Managed maybe once or twice. Why? because the feeling is totally different from pre sleeve.
    I feel pressure in my throat, I get a runny nose or hiccups or a gurgling sound and whirring feeling then I start producing lots of sticky salivae.

It does not feel like oh I am full in my belly. I am full to my throat!
    I get it around the throat area, thats why its impossible to eat lots of dense protein as this happens really fast with small amounts chicken for example. If you do continue beyond that I would be surprised as its like trying to eat when you feel winded in the throat and that would be nonsense as its so uncomfortable.
    Other foods give you different experiences. But it hppens with all foods as I have described, just faster with harder texture foods.
    I always said to myself and my hubby I am finished for now, I will have that heated up later.

I never do !
    But it helps with my head, remember they did not operate on your head so it says awww what a shame you love that food. But knowing you can have more later is good but you will then not want it or be too busy trying to wait 30 mins to have a drink to get your fluids in.

So the weight drops off.

It's not like a diet for me I look at what is going to make me feel well, 4 weeks in I was experimenting with what I could try and eat, I was so tired for 6 weeks the surgery the adjustment to less calories etc. I did have a low BMI to start. I could not sustain the smaller portions, pre sleeve. I overate in portions or deprived myself so I was overeating portions.

But I wanted energy after being sleeved and to feel well so I chose protein and if room veg if room then carbs.
    Why would you want to eat something that made you feel like you had no energy its horrible to walk around exhausted and afraid that you are not in a place of wellbeing.
    So I quickly made good choices.

Feeling well!

Not difficult at all. In fact the smell of Junk food makes me feel nauseous,it did not have that effect on me before the sleeve.

I never was much into that way of eating, but once in a while I will have a bit of chocolate or a muffin takes me 3 days to eat it as I will not substitute a meal for it so I have to find room and that is not easy for me so really has become easy. For me it was eating too big a portion at the end of the day and feeling I had to eat what was on the diet. Now I choose what I fancy and have healthy choices such as fish, chicken, beef all cooked in delicious ways using spices or sweet and sour or creamy sometimes but such a small amount and its so delicious.
    Yesterday I had curried crab,the day before steak with chinese spice stirfry better than any takeaway.
    Prawns in chilli and garlic with lime (might mange 2 )
    I eat out! I order what I fancy and ask for a packet to take out the rest for home and eat it over the next few days or my hubby has it the next day or my dogs.
    I don't like to waste it or feel deprived.

I now have energy!!!!! And I am not carrying the size of my Siberian Husky around all day so my body is flexible and capable.
    I started it to get rid of saggy skin by swimming and I love the way its toning my arms so its motivated me, then I went to cycling,now as the summer fades I will go into my new Pilates machine I want to lengthen and strengthen all my body.

I also look at giving myself the best wellbeing I can now give to myself, I could not do that pre sleeve it was too overwhelming! and I looked at it as I HAVE to do this to loose weight.

Now my mind set is I am healthy and this is my time.

Total Mind set change.

By the way, I Love these questions it is exactly the way I felt before my surgery.
    I hope this helps you.

I don't know if this is how it has felt for everyone but its how it is for me.

I am So Happy that life feels like I am finally in control of my weight.

Its so much fun instead of feeling that you are setting yourself up for a failure.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieStillG's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

I'm 11 months out ... here are my thoughts to your good questions

3. What keeps you motivated? The fact that I have better health, more energy and less medication than in the past 15 years. It's like a whole new life.

4. How difficult was it / is it to radically change what you eat? Do you ever eat the things you shouldn't? I didn't find it hard, but was highly motivated, too. And for a period of time, your stomach only tolerates certain things well. YES, I do take a small bite of sweets, but only a bite and I'm quite satisfied. I have no "forbidden" food, but food that I don't think sound like a good idea I don't eat -- I love hot dogs, but pretty sure it would be a "toad froth" producer for me! And not much nutrition.

5. Why and how are you able to do things differently (diet, exercise, motivation etc) after VSG that you couldn't before? I am keenly aware protein first, then vegetables, then if I have room (seldom) other carbs. I track my food because that works for me. I weigh daily, because that works for my accountability. And I can see how something salty or more less healthy carbs bounce up the scales (and notice cause bloating). Exercise? My joints no longer hurt, and I'm not embarassed to be among the fit people..

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi MP. It can work. It is up to you. Losing the weight has never been easier. You can keep it off a lot easier because you physically can't eat a lot. Now....if you choose to eat a lot of crap foods then you will be eventually start to gain it back. But if you eat right you should be able to keep it off with minimal effort. I workout every day. I eat right. It hasn't been to hard to maintain so far. But I do know if I eat crappy foods I can eat a lot more of them than I can solid meats. So ultimately we make our own path and our own choices. I am so thankful for my sleeve.

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

Hello, and congrats on getting your surgery approved!

It could be both. I'm 11 months out, and I know I don't get nearly as hungry as I used to. I also eat a TON less. I'm just about a year out and I'm still amazed at how little I eat compared to what I used to eat before. A restaurant meal that I could eat ALL of plus dessert, now lasts me 3-4 meals. Even if I'm starving, all it takes is 3-4 bites of food and I'm good for the next couple of hours. At times, when I'm tempted to eat more, I physically can't. It hurts to overeat - much different than just the "feeling stuffed" I felt before surgery.

Surgery definitely gave me a boost in that I could eat 800 calories at one sitting and STILL be hungry. I could eat a huge meal and be starving 2 hours later. I also now realize I was eating from stress and/or boredom. Can't do that now!

Seeing my reflection in the mirror and being shocked that the normal sized person I'm seeing is me! Also, being able to run to Target last minute and pick up a dress or outfit for a last minute occasion. My co-workers and people I haven't seen in awhile going on and on about how great I'm looking

It's slightly difficult. Not anything like it used to be. I just don't crave the bad stuff like I used to. Do I indulge in a few potato chips or a few bites of cake or a cookie here and there? Yes. For me, I can no longer eat bread-y foods or fried food. Makes me very sick. I used to love pasta, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, etc. Can't handle them anymore which helps.

Exercise has become much easier since becoming lighter. I also have more energy. I wasn't able to walk much faster than 3.2 mph now I can walk at 3.7 mph no problem. Also, not having to worry about fitting in to rides, or airplane seats. Every time I have lots of slack on my seatbelt, I just smile!

Good luck to you!!