Gastric Sleeve Member HudsonBob's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    02-19-2019 03:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Taking SSRIs

I'm currently taking 5 MG of lexapro along with 2 mg of Ability. I have generalized anxiety disorder to need to take this medication.
    These medications have caused me great weight gain (100 lbs). I currently weigh 330 and need to lose this weight. I'm contemplating the gastric sleeve but I'm concerned with post-op weight gain due to the medication. Curious if I'm over thinking this and what other anxiety sufferers have done.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Taking SSRIs

Are you sure it's the medication that caused you to gain 100 pounds or what you are eating? I know the doctor at my bariatric center does not take people off anxiety meds before or after surgery if they are needed.

Gastric Sleeve Member Loveangel104's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    08/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Fielding
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 116 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I used to be on lithium. It will definitely make you gain weight, along with other side effects. The abilify is less of a problem in that department. I’m not sure about Lexapro. If it is an antidepressant it is possible. The one with the lowest risk of weight gain that I know of is Wellbutrin.

That being said, i think sraebaer has a point. It’s not only conditional on the medication. I know for the longest time i blamed that. When I finally realized that I was the problem things started getting better. I’m not saying that is the only reason for weight gain, but it’s a large part of it.

Try eating like a sleeved person for a while. Protein first. Then veggies and avoid the carbs. Portion sizes were my problem. I know that now.See how you feel eating differently. Sometimes that’s what makes the difference.

You can do it!

5. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Yes, I do find I've been blaming the meds for for weight gain. I've started trying to reduce the lexapro since that is a cause of some of the weight gain (I've gone from 10 MG to 5 MG) since that SSRI is known for increasing appetite.

I'm going to start cutting back on the carbs and eating like someone who already has had the surgery. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back on my success.

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonBob View Post
    Yes, I do find I've been blaming the meds for for weight gain. I've started trying to reduce the lexapro since that is a cause of some of the weight gain (I've gone from 10 MG to 5 MG) since that SSRI is known for increasing appetite.

I'm going to start cutting back on the carbs and eating like someone who already has had the surgery. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back on my success.
    Good luck, you can do it! I know meds can make you gain weight, but 100 pounds, probably not. I have found that protein at every meal really works. Give it a try and see what happens. You've got this!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ThatGirlKat's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm on Celexa (similar to Lexapro) and have not had an issue with regain post-op. Also, I would not recommend changing your dosage without speaking to your doc. That can also cause some not great side effects.

12. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Thanks - that is my biggest fear (post-op weight gain). My psychiatrist is onboard with lowering my lexapro to 5 MG. So far no brain zaps or other known withdrawal issues. I have a consult with my primary care at the end of the month to discuss surgery.