Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-03-2018 12:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thumbs down Confused

Hello everyone, I’m 4 years post op and for the first 2 years I was feeling great. However
    in these past 2 years I have gained 65 pounds back and I’m lost as to why and how

2. The following 8 users said welcome mariegrill to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Confused

What happened?
    What did you do differently?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Marie,

With time we can eat more, it's normal. I went from eating less than 1/3cup to half a plate or less at two years.
    The reality is that when we lose weight, we should also eating less than before surgery when at "goal" because our calorie expenditure will decrease when we get lighter...

It took me two years reach my surgeon "goal/projection" and then in January I got sick and gained weight in a few days with medication (cortisone) and again in June with an other medication.
    Truth is that gaining weight made me more hungry too. I had to be extra careful not to gain more!

Here is my analyze:

- first focus on not gaining any more weight : use your scale at least once a week to make sure, try not to feel guilty and take it one day at a time
    - eat at meal time, no snacking
    - protein first!! vegetable....then if you have room carbs...
    - drink plenty of water (not during meals)
    - track your food intake for a few days to know what is the culprit (too much carb? fat? protein?)

Also, do you still take your vitamins? when did you have a post-op appointment for the last time? blood test?? it would be important to check any deficiencies, because for example iron deficiencies can give cravings...D deficiency make you very tired et you will want to eat more etc..

Keep us posted!
    take care

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would assume you stopped following how we should be eating with a sleeve. Protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room at every meal. Don't drink with meals. Take your vitamins. Exercise. Like someone else said, you can eat more now, so don't!

Just got back from a 2 week vacation where I gained 4 pounds by not eating how I should. (I exercised a ton!!) But I will get those 4 pounds off quickly by just getting back to eating properly. I'm almost 5 years out.

My maintanance secret is to weigh myself every day so there are no surprises.

Gastric Sleeve Member crazycibertalk's Avatar
    Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/31/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bobby
    Last Activity
    04-23-2019 10:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Sraebaer,

It is scary to hear people gaining weight. I am wondering what are the statistics.
    How many stay on track and how many had gain the weight.
    Is it 50%?
    I know for what I am reading that the sleeve is a tool, there is no magic pill!
    All what I want is to feel restriction like you do even after 5 years.
    I am not afraid of the surgery, I am afraid of myself, my thoughts and he desire to eat.
    If restriction is there, it will remaind me not to put more food.
    I am one of those persons that eat healthy with no medical issues now, but portions are big.

HW=265 lb
    SW= 251 lb
    1 Mo= 235 lb
    2 Mo= 221 lb
    3 Mo= 216 lb
    4 Mo= 212 lb

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazycibertalk View Post
    Sraebaer,

It is scary to hear people gaining weight. I am wondering what are the statistics.
    Is it 50%?
    I am not afraid of the surgery, I am afraid of myself, my thoughts and he desire to eat.
    I am one of those persons that eat healthy with no medical issues now, but portions are big.
    Nutrition is "my field".
    Regain is in average 5% of the weight loss (at one year) for everyone. People who don't regain at all are an exception.

I was like you, eating healthy but too much carbs since with IBS most veggies would make me sick before the sleeve.
    Post sleeve my IBS is almost gone at 95% which is huge and veggies are almost all well accepted by my new stomach!
    I regained at 2 years because I took medication that make me gain, but without medication I don't regain.
    I'm sure I will be loosing soon and be under my surgeon"s goal/prediction for my third year! But I'm a slow loser and unfortunately when I gain with medication it does disturb my hormones so it takes now for ever to bounce back...but the important thing is be focused and eat well!

My surgeon was very clear about the fact that you can see at one year and even 9 months if people will have issues with their diet. That's when most people start to regain.
    Be positive, informed, focus on quality food, you will do great!

Take care

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member crazycibertalk's Avatar
    Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/31/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bobby
    Last Activity
    04-23-2019 10:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sandra3,

I take thyroid meds because I have Hashimoto disease. The thyroid is an issue and manipulates your weight too.
    You regained very little. I know how meds can interact with your weight.

My thought was around a simple formula: what it goes in has to be burn out by some activity.
    For a person that eats 100 gr of carbs a day like me, a 30 minutes walk is not enough.
    Specially taking thyroid meds, I have to reduce the carbs and increase the activity.
    Also I learned thru all my "diets" That I have to find an activity that I can sustain for life.
    My mother in law run 5 miles every other day with her husband until 80 years old. They did it together. He got sick, no more running, he gain weight, he did not want to walk, she switch for walking. She is now 88 and still walking alone for 3 miles now every other day. I am proud of her.
    So, been running or walking or hiking, swimming, or whatever, I have to find what motivates me for lifetime.

HW=265 lb
    SW= 251 lb
    1 Mo= 235 lb
    2 Mo= 221 lb
    3 Mo= 216 lb
    4 Mo= 212 lb

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sandra3.
    Your very welcome Lidia!

And you are right, exercise is very important. I usually try to walk 5k everyday, more if the weather permits it.Before the sleeve I did walk, but not that much and when I was trying to push I always injured myself. On that aspect it got better too post-sleeve!

Medication in my case is really complicated, I gain with almost everything the worth being cortisone but antibiotics too, even with allergy medicine!!...I had surgery in July, gained 3 kgs in 2 days and went in "moderate low carbs" for two weeks to stop the regain, I also took some plants to help the liver. Lucky I lost those 3 kgs. But the ones from January are trying to stay...

The thing is that losing before the sleeve is different from after. You can't predict what will happen. I was losing "quicker" before the sleeve but indeed always regained most ....post-sleeve the regain is only related to the medication and is much lower since I also have the restriction to help. But my body does fight to keep his bacon for sure!!

As soon as my surgeon will clear me on Wednesday (I had reconstructive surgery in July), I'm planning on exercising more since the weather is beautiful right now!

Dexa scan and other measurement offered by the surgeon gave an indication of my body composition and helped them to know how many calories I was supposed to eat...I had to go lower...
    Plus as you said, higher than 100gr carbs per day= not loosing!

But with thyroid issues you will have the similar problems I'm facing, so my only advice would be : be patient! I reached my surgeon prediction after two years...but at least during that time no regain!! so I did win against the statistics!
    Take care!

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sraebaer,

Is it 50%?
    You can do it! It really isn't difficult at all. Last night we ate out and I ordered a small salad topped with a chicken breast. I couldn't eat it all. Hubby finished it and the server said, "Oh I see, teamwork!"

I have no clue of the statistics of regain. I assume the people who gain aren't on these boards anymore. In fact all the "friends" I made 5 years ago are gone. Just know if you go back to your old habits you will regain. Stick to the program and it's really magical! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could be a normal sized person. Those of us who maintain have all found what works for us. Everyone is different. Some count calories, some follow certain programs, and some just never overeat. I just do the protein first, then veggies, then good carbs at every meal; I have never counted anything. I have the occasional treat which I balance out with my love of exercise.

I'm totally not perfect. Just got home from a 2 week vacation, which included TONS of exercise, and gained 4 pounds. I know I didn't eat how I should. But I will get those 4 pounds off quickly just by getting back to how I should be eating.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieStillG's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    You can do it! It really isn't difficult at all. Last night we ate out and I ordered a small salad topped with a chicken breast. I couldn't eat it all. Hubby finished it and the server said, "Oh I see, teamwork!"

I have no clue of the statistics of regain. I assume the people who gain aren't on these boards anymore. In fact all the "friends" I made 5 years ago are gone. Just know if you go back to your old habits you will regain. Stick to the program and it's really magical! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could be a normal sized person. Those of us who maintain have all found what works for us. Everyone is different. Some count calories, some follow certain programs, and some just never overeat. I just do the protein first, then veggies, then good carbs at every meal; I have never counted anything. I have the occasional treat which I balance out with my love of exercise.

I'm totally not perfect. Just got home from a 2 week vacation, which included TONS of exercise, and gained 4 pounds. I know I didn't eat how I should. But I will get those 4 pounds off quickly just by getting back to how I should be eating.
    Sharon, Thanks for your encouraging post about not regaining; as I approach the 1 year mark next month, I've sort of stabilized. But have to find the balance between "munchies" and "meals". I do track everything; I do weigh daily. I do not care to be ambushed by either gain or bad health.

The mindset that you, Ann2, and Tinman have is wonderful; all a bit different, but very firm in that if you use the tools you've learned, you have health. And for me, its all about the health. (And maybe havingmy hair grow back a bit faster, lol)

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    02-26-2024 07:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

This deserves its’ own thread!!!
    You statement profoundly impacted how I will view my future. Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I almost posted it as a new thread myself. But that’s not my place.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Averages are just that. Saying that on average "everyone" gains X pounds in Y years post-op is like saying all humans, on average, are 5'8" tall. That's neither helpful nor true.

The research I've read says that 2-5 years post-op, WLS patients fall into two camps:

(1) Half of them have regained NO MORE THAN 50% of the weight they lost. Some of these folks haven't gained ANY of their weight back.

(2) Half of them have gained MORE than 50% of the weight they lost. Some of these folks have regained ALL their weight back.

What our own results will be long-term depends on (1) what and how much we eat, (2) how active we are post-op, (3) our physical and mental health and presence or absence of disease, (4) the meds/supplements we must take, (5) the medical and emotional support we garner, and (6) other self-care behaviors we employ to support our healthy lifestyle.

Very best wishes to you!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I think the answer is complacency. We lose the weight and think we are untouchable and become complacent about following the rules. Yes, you can regain after being sleeved. Some people don't even lose all the weight because they want to eat whatever they want and think the magic sleeve will get them there anyways. The sleeve is a tool You have to continue to use it properly to maintain your weight loss. You have to eat right most of the time, eat junk in moderation if you must have it, exercise, and monitor your weight (or how your clothes fit) regularly. If you see you are gaining weight or that your clothes are tighter you need to do something. Not wait until you are up to a point that makes the whole situation feel like a lost cause. You don't just wake up one day 65 lbs heavier. I know that I have a 5 lb buffer. Anything about 5 lbs is a big red flag for me that I need to do something different. I get when you gain weight due to medications and that is a harder thing to control. But when weight gain is from bad habits that is all on us. I did not go through all of this to get fat again. I am very aware of my behaviors now. I weigh myself every day. I am not going to allow myself to gain weight. I work out every day. I eat right 95% of the time. I do allow myself treats and alcohol. I also make sure to add more exercise when I indulge. It is about finding a balance. You can still live a good life with the sleeve. But it is not some kind of cure all. If you eat crap foods your body will allow it for a while but eventually most people will gain the weight back if they do that. Weight gain is not inevitable. Yes, most will gain about 5% back but I think that is because a lot of people will get too thin at first and need to gain back a little bit of weight. I know my sister got too think at her lowest and the weight she gained back just put her back to a normal, healthy BMI. I know people may think that this is harsh but that is not my intention. My point is that we will make what we want out of this sleeve journey.
    PS- My dad had bypass in 89. Over the years he gained weight back. In 2016 he realized he did not like it. He lost 70 lbs and is back to his healthy BMI. Even after having bypass so long ago his tool still worked. He is 70 years old. He went back to exercising and eating right. If he can do it, anyone can.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I would like to hear from mariegrill again...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.