Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Too many conflicting opinions are getting me confused!!

So I'm trying my hardest to go Keto. Damn. What a lifestyle change! Even though I had already cut processed carbs and complex carbs to less than 20g per day, I'm having a hard time with the intermittent fasting part. I am also trying to figure out how to eat as much fat as Keto says we should. It's not an easy concept to wrap my brain around.
    That said, when people find out I'm going keto they have all kinds of opinions about why it's the devil's lifestyle. The books I'm reading say this will happen but damn! I had no idea how much. I even got lectured by a nutritionist about how my heart and kidneys will fail and I'll get liver disease. There is no long term scientific evidence to prove those things happen. Obesity didn't become an epidemic until processed carbs and sugar filled "low fat" foods were introduced. Evidence actually supports lower cholesterol, decreased risk for a myriad of illnesses, both physical and psychological. It even has anti-aging effects. And if I want to try it, why not just let me? My husband is even giving me lectures about eating butter saying it DOES cause heart disease because the Mayo Clinic and American Heart Association and all the others feeding us the food scare crap says it does. Well, yeah they do say that but it's not like I'm eating an entire stick of butter a day. I have probably 3tbsp max of it per day in the 2 coffee bombs I have. "They" say EVERYTHING causes SOMETHING. If I believed all of the junk I read I'd never eat or breathe again because everything will kill us. But what about the proof of the benefits of coconut oil, MCT oil, increased saturated and monounsaturated fats, moderate protein, and low carbs? What about the proven benefits of ketosis? People think that is just the devil. Honestly, I feel better having cut processed carbs down than I've felt since my honeymoon period. What works for me doesn't work for everyone. And I don't need everyone telling me I'm going to kill myself by slightly increasing healthy fats, eating a moderate amount of protein, and eliminating processed carbs while replacing them with healthy carbs my body and brain can use for fuel. These are completely biased opinions. Now, if someone has tried keto and gotten heart disease or their organs and arteries exploded, I'd be more likely to listen to them. But if this is working for me, gives me more energy and mental clarity, decreases my appetite, and makes me happy with the results, I think they should know to just keep their opinions to themselves. Unsolicited negative opinions are exactly why I told NO ONE with the exception of immediate family and very few close friends that I was having VSG to begin with. I didn't want to be watched like a bug in a jar to see how I ate and how much I lost or even gained. There are plenty of people who WANT to see bariatric surgery patients fail. So, I kept it to myself. I should have kept quiet about keto too. Everyone has a right to their opinions but they should be educated opinions based on facts, not based on the collective "they". Unless they've researched keto too, I don't want to hear it.
    UGH!!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Too many conflicting opinions are getting me confused!!

Hi Jessie,

I did study nutritions for years, and if I had time to do a six months (unpaid internship) I could be a State registered nutritionist (in France).

My personal point of view is that moderation is the key in nutrition, eating lots of fresh veggies and quality protein a guaranty of balance.
    Many "new diets" are just marketing to sell books.

I think each person has to study her own body and see how it will react to this or that. For example I never eat "fake sugar", I'm allergic to many and also never liked the taste since it was "in" in the 90's. Many studies now show it's toxic on many levels...
    I have ancestors from Spain and do gain weight if I eat too much carbs...my friend from Asia is extremely thin and would lose even more weight if she was eating that "little carbs"...because our bodies are different!! But I never do very "low carbs"...does make me sick...

So ...I eat 60gr protein per day...(too much, especially from meat, could be toxic for the body) for the rest I do try to eat healthy and listen to my body.

Many people over the years, with no credentials, tried to give me advice about nutrition, of course without knowing that I actually have a proper education on the subject. When I was morbidly obese, it was even worth. People in France can be intrusive and irrespectful, in France being obese 20 years ago was the same as having the plague...it's a little better today...but still...there is a social stigma for sure.

People are annoying, that's a fact. But I try to avoid conflict when it's not an absolute necessity..
    When they really get on my nerves, I give them a lecture about the really interesting "China study book" by Dr Campbell. Most people don't know anything about it and usually they try to change the subject after 5 minutes

Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

jessiejess, Eating is not 'one size fits all' just like in clothing it just isn't true. Everyone has their opinion and I'll never understand why we just can't let people eat according to what they need to lose weight or maintain a weight loss. If you told me you could lose and maintain a weight loss on eating nothing but chocolate and drinking wine, I would be envious but I would never tell you it isn't a good idea because as an adult I will respect your choice. Hell, I might even be willing to give it a try to see if it worked for me.

I have a mountain of diet books; Keto, Flat Belly, Whole 30, Sonoma Diet, Carb Lovers, Atkins, etc. I pull a little from eat book and that's how I eat. I'm sure if people could see my diet reference books they would either be in awe or think I'm crazy. All those books helped me find what works for me.

You do you, because you alone are responsible for your success and you know your body better than anyone else. You an always tell the haters you thought about trying crack but you felt Keto was safer. That should shut them up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I went into ketosis post op just by having a no carb no added sugar diet. Basically just eating protein and veggies and some dairy. Keep in mind you can use the stored fat you have as your keto fat rather than purposefully eating a bunch of added fats. You don't have to slather everything with butter.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

There's no better way to start a s**tstorm than by announcing that YOUR way of eating is the ONLY way of eating in the world. Actually, you don't even have to go that far -- you can just say that YOU have decided that The [name of your preferred way of eating] Regimen is what you're doing. You will instantly get pushback that ranges from "What works for me better is ...." to "Jane, you ignorant slut!"

Seriously, these days, since politics and religion are so off the table for polite conversation, it seems many people are taking all their frustrations out by arguing about their diet or food.

I know people who eat like me (eat mostly healthy but splurge a little, count calories and other macronutrients), people who do keto, people who do intermittent fasting, people who do Weight Watchers, people who do paleo, people who fast one day a week, people who drink protein shakes, people who are vegetarians, people who eschew alcohol, etc. Oh! And I know people who have had WLS and many more who haven't had WLS. Some of those people have lost a ton of weight. Fewer, but some, of those people on every one of those regimens have kept their weight off. Most of them on every regimen haven't lost much or even any weight.

In other words, it's not so much what you choose to do to lose and maintain your weight as it is that you actually F**KING DO what you choose to do.

You do what you choose to do, Jess. And don't tell anybody what you're doing unless you're in the mood for a good old s**tstorm. People be crazy.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

We have used the phrase, "Jane, you ignorant slut" for years! Keto sounds nuts to me, but if if works for you, go for it! Or you could just do the sleeve lifestyle, which is similar to Keto but not as strict.

I have a friend doing Keto, a serious weightlifter. Works great for her. But it bothers me that she has her 2 elementary age kids on the same diet. They basically eat meat and some veggies. No fruit because of the sugar content. No Dairy. No eggs. No carbs. I just wonder how that would help/hurt a growing child. And seeing I'm not a doctor, I have no clue. Plus I feel sorry for these kids in school seeing how others eat.

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Seriously, these days, since politics and religion are so off the table for polite conversation, it seems many people are taking all their frustrations out by arguing about their diet or food.
    Exactly the main issue!

and this is such a first world issue!! no kidding!! so many people everywhere are starving, why the heck one would want to give unsolicited advice about nutrition when they actually have no idea what they are talking about!! why don't they try to find a solution to famine first?? end the war? stop the cancer?

I was shopping at a supermarket in Germany last week. Like in France, people are getting bigger each year (but numbers are even worth there) and it's so sad to see more obese kids everywhere...I had not been in Germany for years and I did notice right away that the junk food alleys are way bigger, produce section smaller...organic is actually cheaper which is almost weird....but when you look at someone 's haul, it take 30 seconds to understand why their waistline is so big, why the kids are double the size they should be (and visibly not healthy): and it's not about too much butter or just too much protein; it's about the amount of junk food, processed garbage infused with chemicals that they teach them by example to put in their mouth!!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

You go right ahead and do what works for YOU!
    That is nobodies business is it?
    And whatever you do, there will always be someone to tell you, that you are doing it completely wrong.
    I have someone in my life like that right now.
    So annoying...
    So dear Jessie, make a plan, work that plan, own the results and change when necessary.
    Wise words from the Tinman...
    You do not have to give an explanation to anyone.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Loveangel104's Avatar
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    08/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Fielding
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 116 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Jess,
    I totally get where you are coming from. I wanted to try keto before I ultimately did the VSG but I couldn't wrap my mind around the eating all those fats! I know for a fact ketosis in short term works, as I have a friend who is a keto VEGAN. She feels fantastic, looks fantastic and doesn't care what any of those ignorant sluts Jane think about what she is doing.

Jackalope81 said it best in my opinion, that we can naturally go into ketosis because of the changes in our diets cause it to happen naturally. Using stored fats is all what ketosis is trying to do. We don't need to derive all our nutrition from fats unlike other people who have not have the VSG. They have to take up room in their stomachs while not relying on carbs to do it. They have to satisfy their urges which they have room for. We don't have that worry, because we have the luxury of making the best choice for ourselves, which was getting sleeved.

In fact, ketosis was discovered by a doctor treating epileptic patients. The weight loss was an unintentional but welcome side effect. As was the LOWERED bad cholesterol and triglycerides. I think it has something to do with how the liver processes food. We need to remember that the is responsible for turning excess carbs into bad sugars for the body. If anyone knows what gluconeogenesis is, its the turning of excess proteins into sugar, which is a big bad thing. All those people eating too many proteins can potentially have that happen to them. We don't have to worry. Instead, our bodies aren't capable of even getting to that point because we can't fit that amount in without getting sick.

I wouldn't listen to those negative nellies anyway. What the hell do they know except to talk out of their asses about a topic which they know nothing about: YOUR JOURNEY. It's no-one else's. Don't let those naysayers confuse you. Do your own research from reputable sources and see what you think is best for you. Finding what works for you is part of your journey.

By the way, "Jane, you ignorant slut" is a great phrase. Let the naysayers talk amongst themselves. We're feeling a little pheclempt. (I have no idea how to spell that but hopefully my reference is not lost, lol.)

Take care, and if you need any help don't hesitate,
    ~*~Christina~*~

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your responses and words of support. A hybrid type of keto just works for me. I unintentionally did it when I got sleeved. I'd never even heard of keto. Back then, I just ate the way I wanted to and lost 118lbs. I didn't have room for carbs so cutting processed carbs is not hard for me. What was hard was fitting in the protein we are supposed to have. So after my regain and start of my new journey, I tried to go back to how I ate post-op (back to basics) but had more room for protein this time so I ended up going into gluconeogenesis which halted my weight loss. Once I figured out what was going on, I cut back on the protein and started eating more salads which I LOVE but had an intolerance to lettuce post-op so I haven't had them since I got sleeved in November 2013. Now I can't eat enough salads. Getting into ketosis again has been effortless because I already eat that way anyway. This is not a diet for me. I refuse to acknowledge that word in my life. It is a set up for failure. Diets are temporary and what I always failed at. My way of eating is my lifestyle. That's not temporary. Deviating from my lifestyle is temporary. I'm now eating avocados every day, indulging in nuts and olives, drinking coffee bombs every morning, and cooking with avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter. All things are in moderation. I don't count anything. Counting makes me food obsessed. I'm not overdosing myself on fats though. I don't eat fatty meats. I'm getting my fats from much healthier sources and it's working. My total loss since I recommitted in July is 11lbs. In my first 2 weeks I lost 7lbs. Then I got into a stall and regained 4. I couldn't figure out why until my doctor recommended I read up on keto. What I've read has actually been very educational. I realized I was eating WAY too much protein, almost no veggies, and very little fat. That's how I ate post-op and it worked like a charm. Well, my body is different now. I have more room to fit in more good stuff after protein. So, on August 11th I changed up things and since then have lost 9lbs. I'm staying in ketosis. I'm even able to have a glass of chardonnay if I want to. I'm not strictly keto because I don't do "diets", but I'm pulling parts of it out to fit into my sleeved lifestyle that works for me. I didn't eat the sloppy joe's my husband made last night and I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Usually I'd have a little bit of the meat just because he made it but this time I said no thank you and he kept his mouth shut and got over it. I had a healthy alternative that I liked and felt great! So, my way of doing things may not be strictly by the book but it's comfortable for me. And it's working. My jeans are MUCH looser. I'm fitting back into dresses I haven't worn in 2 years. I'm starting to have more energy again like I did the first two weeks in July. This new plan works for me. My body is happy. Everyone else can put their opinions where they belong. You know what they say about opinions. That's about the only thing "they" say that I agree with.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieStillG's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Thank you all for your responses and words of support. A hybrid type of keto just works for me. I unintentionally did it when I got sleeved. I'd never even heard of keto. Back then, I just ate the way I wanted to and lost 118lbs. I didn't have room for carbs so cutting processed carbs is not hard for me. What was hard was fitting in the protein we are supposed to have. So after my regain and start of my new journey, I tried to go back to how I ate post-op (back to basics) but had more room for protein this time so I ended up going into gluconeogenesis which halted my weight loss. Once I figured out what was going on, I cut back on the protein and started eating more salads which I LOVE but had an intolerance to lettuce post-op so I haven't had them since I got sleeved in November 2013. Now I can't eat enough salads. Getting into ketosis again has been effortless because I already eat that way anyway. This is not a diet for me. I refuse to acknowledge that word in my life. It is a set up for failure. Diets are temporary and what I always failed at. My way of eating is my lifestyle. That's not temporary. Deviating from my lifestyle is temporary. I'm now eating avocados every day, indulging in nuts and olives, drinking coffee bombs every morning, and cooking with avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter. All things are in moderation. I don't count anything. Counting makes me food obsessed. I'm not overdosing myself on fats though. I don't eat fatty meats. I'm getting my fats from much healthier sources and it's working. My total loss since I recommitted in July is 11lbs. In my first 2 weeks I lost 7lbs. Then I got into a stall and regained 4. I couldn't figure out why until my doctor recommended I read up on keto. What I've read has actually been very educational. I realized I was eating WAY too much protein, almost no veggies, and very little fat. That's how I ate post-op and it worked like a charm. Well, my body is different now. I have more room to fit in more good stuff after protein. So, on August 11th I changed up things and since then have lost 9lbs. I'm staying in ketosis. I'm even able to have a glass of chardonnay if I want to. I'm not strictly keto because I don't do "diets", but I'm pulling parts of it out to fit into my sleeved lifestyle that works for me. I didn't eat the sloppy joe's my husband made last night and I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Usually I'd have a little bit of the meat just because he made it but this time I said no thank you and he kept his mouth shut and got over it. I had a healthy alternative that I liked and felt great! So, my way of doing things may not be strictly by the book but it's comfortable for me. And it's working. My jeans are MUCH looser. I'm fitting back into dresses I haven't worn in 2 years. I'm starting to have more energy again like I did the first two weeks in July. This new plan works for me. My body is happy. Everyone else can put their opinions where they belong. You know what they say about opinions. That's about the only thing "they" say that I agree with.
    You seem extremely self-aware and I think you're on the best track for you! We're all different and what works is different; and my response to peoples unwanted questions is "Whyever would YOU want to know?" Normally they don't have any answer because no one wants to say they are just nosey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-11-2023 09:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I agree with everyone else. You need to do what works best for you. My doc wants me to eat the foods that are on the perimeter of the grocery store. (Produce, Meats, and Dairy.) She says that even whole grains should be avoided. I don't think that it's keto, but it's low carb and a healthy way of eating that works for me. I won't say that I never eat carbs, but it's rarely that I do. Because I stick to this way of eating, which really isn't that hard for me, I've been able to maintain my weight. I think if you find what works for you and try to be consistent, you'll do fine. I couldn't do a strictly keto diet because of all of the exclusions. I like dairy and fruit.

19. Said thanks: