Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Last Activity
    07-12-2020 03:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default OMG VSG! Can it stretch?

I was sleeved on 7/27 and have zero regrets about the surgery. However, I have to admit I have already fallen off the band wagon a few times with my choice of foods-already. I know I can do this and have been rooting myself on even through the tough times, but I have myself wondering if I haven't already ruined my tool. Is anyone familiar with VSG enough to know if you can actually "stretch" it? I know that it naturally will stretch, never to the size it was, but over time it will stretch normally. However, my question is more for the --- I have made bad food choices, is it ruined --- category. I just wanted to see what others say out there, hopefully without the "you have a great tool now, you need to watch what you eat" - because, I know this already. I am only human

I appreciate any feedback or stories from others who may have experienced something similar.

Thank you so much! And good luck to you all!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OMG VSG! Can it stretch?

I have made terrible food choices from the minute I could keep food down. My tummy handles those "bad" foods way better. I'm definitely not in the camp of restricting my food choices to be successful. I'm still doing just fine eating whatever I want (junk) after almost 4 years. I can eat more now, of course, but my restriction is still on point.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

deftonephila, we've all taken a bite of the 'oh no I didn't just eat that food'. There is no value of beating yourself up over a simple mistake. We're human and stuff just happens. I don't aim for being perfect 100% of the time because that's just setting myself up for failure. You need to decide what your percentage of perfection will be. For me my percentage is around 90%. I try to balance that between adding in extra exercise if I let that percentage get lower. I'm rather lazy so it's easier for me to stick with the 90% perfection and minimize my exercise.

Take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself if you make a mistake.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member deftonephila's Avatar
    Name
    Brandy
    Surgery date
    07/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Thank you both for your responses. I think the biggest thing I need to learn is that I need to eat only until in satisfied. I grew up around always having to clear your plate. I am still learning my sizes. I just always feel like I have ruined my tool before I even get to really use it. But judging from your posts, you've been there too.

Thanks again!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It will stretch a bit with time. Everyone can eat the slider foods easier. Real solid meats you can't eat as much of. As for being off track, it is a bit early to be off track and I highly encourage you to get back on track. One thing that helped me out is that we can only eat small amounts and we need to provide our bodies with the best nutrients possible to prevent vitamin and mineral deficiencies. It helps to keep us healthy. Most people can still lose wait eating crap foods but I don't recommend it. Eventually those bad habits will catch up to you if you are constantly eating junk. Not saying you can't indulge. I pretty much eat what I want but I do focus on mostly eating healthy and I exercise daily. I did not go through this to fail.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Brandy
    Surgery date
    07/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Thank you Christie! You're 100% correct. I have no idea why I always sabatage myself. It feel like a never ending cycle, but truth be told, I don't crave food near as much as I used to. Never thought I would be able to say that!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think you can do too much damage at 33 days in, I don't think you could fit too much in their eh? ;-)
    I am all about healthy foods and exercise most of the time and what you want the rest of the time. You're not on a diet. But you are only 33 days in and testing things. Be careful. You'll be okay :-)

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Brandy
    Surgery date
    07/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Thank you Stacey! I tend to worry moreso than I should sometimes, but I just wanted to know the likelihood that I have already messed it up.
    Do you have any recommendations for good, filling foods for breakfast? I find that if I have a smoothie or something like that, I don't feel full (maybe because it's a slidey food?). If I have eggs, I'll be a little more satisfied, but my go-to is reduced fat creamy peanut butter mixed with sugar free jelly eaten with a banana. I feel that I sometimes just get bored with the same ol' choices - I've been thinking of buying one of the post WLS cook books to help out.

What is your go to?

Thanks again for the reply!

Gastric Sleeve Member ThatGirlKat's Avatar
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    09/28/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    04-10-2019 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts

Another great option for breakfast is low-fat high protein greek yogurt. And it comes in all sorts of flavors.

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd like to know your definition of falling off the band wagon. Can you give an example of what you've eaten that you feel is a "bad food"? At this point post-op you will have more restriction than you will a year from now. This is not because your sleeve has stretched. It's because your sleeve has healed. Right now, it is still angry and inflamed because you JUST had surgery. At this point, you should worry more about your staples healing than stretching your sleeve. Once your sleeve heals it will not be as inflamed and swollen which means you will have more room for food. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT STRETCHED. This just means you have healed. I'm almost 5 years out and still have my restriction. I lost 118lbs in the first year. I gained back weight a few years later but that was from drinking, not over eating. I can't. I still eat like a bird. I'm losing again like I did before because my stomach never stretched.
    Now, having said that, there is a cardinal rule to live by. No matter what you eat, do not ever ever ever ever overeat. Ever. Your sleeve can stretch over years after your surgery but you have to basically be stuffing yourself to the point of physical discomfort at every meal for that to happen. I don't know if it could ever possibly stretch the way it did before because they remove most of the fundus which is the stretchy part of the stomach. Some people say it won't stretch. Some people say their's did and those are typically people who have gained all their weight back. I say why risk it? It's okay to eat whatever you want but all things in moderation. After a while, you'll find that the things you want will change. You'll start wanting healthier things because as you lose, you'll be more and more motivated to do what's best for your body. Yes, you'll still want occasional treats. There is no reason to deny yourself that or feel guilty about it. You are not on a diet. This is your life now. Learning how to live a sleeved life is not easy but it will become more and more natural as you progress.
    Good luck and take care.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

18. Said thanks: