Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Yep.....today is the day

Six years ago today. Man......doesn't seem that long ago.

Before I launch into my yearly post, I want to get the statistics out of the way.

This morning, I weighed 273 pounds. That's about seven pounds below my average weight and eight pounds above my lowest weight. I like to hover around 278 to 280. I didn't like the way I felt and looked at 265 so I put a little back on and I love the results. The most I've weighed since reaching goal is 300. So, in case you didn't know it, you can regain your weight if you don't exercise some discipline. I'm thinking it took me about three months to gain that weight and it took me two weeks to take it back off. If you have a plan, it will always come off faster than you put it on. My highest weight was 530 lbs the day I got the sleeve and it took me about 14 months to drop 265 lbs. I really didn't lose fast until I broke an ugly ass stall that had lasted a couple of months. Once I learned how to bust stalls, I never got another one and I dropped more weight in 6 months than I did in 8.

If you are interested in how I did it, I have pages upon pages of posts concerning my methods.

Now, on to the good stuff. I don't post on here nearly as much as I used to, but, I do come here three to four times a week and take a look at what's up. If I feel compelled to reply to a post, I do. But mostly, I pm those that pm me and those I think I can help and mentor like that. It took me a couple of years to learn something very simple. If you dwell on the fact that you have a sleeve, let it rule your world, and constantly arrange your life to accommodate your sleeve, you will be miserable. I learned that in order to be happy ever after, you must learn how to live like a sleeved person in a non sleeved world. No one, not even your family or S/O will willingly make accommodations for you for the rest of your relationship.

It is incumbent upon you to adapt to them. Not the other way around.

So, what does it mean to live like a sleeved person in a non sleeved world? Well, for me, it means I eat what I want, when I want, and made just the way I like it with a side order of margarita. What I never do is over eat. Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever overeat.....ever. Since I live my life like that, I can eat where I want when ever I want. I don't deny myself anything, ever. I just plain old don't over eat.

Since I live my life like that, I can do the things my skinny brothers do and enjoy just like they do. I just don't over indulge. I don't ask them to make choices of restaurants or clubs in order to accommodate me. I make the adjustments. Most of my friends have forgotten how big I used to be and when I remind them, they just laugh. They haven't thought about me being that size in years. I guess that's one of those NSV thingies I read about on here. My favorite NSV is when I run into old friends out of town who haven't seen me since I've lost my weight. They flat just don't recognize me. They recognize my voice, but not my appearance. I love that.

So, what's my plan for losing weight. I'll keep it simple even though it's pretty complex. I eat foods rich in protein, carbs and fats. The science behind my plan is solid and there have been quite a few folks on here who have successfully lost their weight by eating like I do. I don't eat veggies, but, I take a bucket full of supplements every day to make up for that lost nutrition. Veggies take up room in my sleeve and I want every bite I take to pack a mule kick of protein, fat, and carbs. I don't count anything except protein and hydration. I call it the 80/64.

I also pay attention to my four pillars of weight loss. Exercise. Nutrition, Supplements, Hydration. If you ignore any of these, you will stall, stall often, and stay stalled for long periods of time. Eventually, you will get over your stall and lose again, but, you will have subjected yourself to needless anxiety and wasted time. It doesn't need to be like that.

Have there been sacrifices. Yes. I love beer and haven't had one in six years. Why? My sleeve doesn't like the bubbles. Nothing carbonated. So, I don't drink them. Snacks. I don't eat a lot of junk. I don't keep it in the house and I don't buy them when I'm out and about. Now, having said that, if I feel like a candy bar during the day, I go get one. I just don't get one or two a day. It's gotten to the point with me that I don't even think about snacks and junk food anymore. One of my indulgences is popcorn. I will make a bowl of popcorn with lemon pepper, butter, and garlic on it before kickoff every Sunday. Football season is the only time I allow myself to eat the popcorn. I'm really looking forward to Sept. 9th......lol. On a side note, I eat as much as I want of popcorn, but, I don't eat the whole bowl. Popcorn is a slider food and I could eat the entire bowl, but I make myself stop. Again, just a little discipline.

A lot of you are going to ask what a food day looks like for me. Here we go, briefly.

Breakfast is what ever I had for dinner with a fried egg.

Snack is usually a piece of fruit or some cheese and nuts.

Lunch is my indulgence meal. What ever I am craving I eat. I try to make it full of protein, carbs, and fat. But I don't dwell on it. My go to lunch is Hooters wings. Love dem wings. Child's plate is four wings and tots. I will three wings and some of the tots, or all four wings and none of the tots. Not because I make myself. Because that how much I can eat.

Snack is what ever I didn't have for the morning snack.

Dinner is a huge protein meal. Ribeye steak. Chicken fried steak with gravy. Any fish I can lay my hands on. I cook with lots of butter and eat what I can.

The next day....same as the day before.

How many calories a day to I consume? I have no idea and I could care less. I'm not going to obsessively count things. I know some on here do and if it works for you, then please keep it up. That's part of your plan and not counting is part of mine.

I'm going to close by urging the newbies to look into my mantra. If you want the full mantra, go to my page and search for tinman's mantra. I've probably posted it 50 times.

So, in closing, I will say what I always say. My way is my way. It works for me. The only constant in losing, and maintaining while sleeved, is that you have to have a plan. Each of us needs to find the combination of the four pillars that works best for them and then game the hell out of it. Without a tailor made plan, you will lose slow. Will you lose? Yes. But painfully slow.

Make a plan. Work your plan. Own your results. Change as necessary.

Remember, you will be sleeved the rest of your life. Don't be in a hurry. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't an expiration date on your sleeve. So, be patient, try different methods and combinations, and find what works for you and you alone.

As always, I am available by pm for those who want to reach out that way.

Peace until next year.

Robert

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Loveangel104's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    08/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Fielding
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 116 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yep.....today is the day

Robert,
    I just want to say thank you for that post. I'm a newbie here, and while I have found tons of valuable information in my short time participating, this has been the most helpful.
    I've been so worried about 'life after the sleeve': How will I adjust, will I still be able to eat all the things I love (and I don't mean the junky ones), and other things of that nature.
    You've eased some of these worries.
    I can do this, I know I can.

Eternal thanks,
    Christina

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy, happy, happy sixth surgiversary, Robert!

You're doing magnificently, as usual. And what has worked for you continues to work so well for you.

My fourth surgiversary was last Sunday, but I'm waiting until after I see my doc next Monday before posting my annual "How it went" thread. That way I can report on my blood test results.

Rock on! <3

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jefferson Vaughan
    Last Activity
    07-07-2019 09:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 449 Times

Thank you Robert -that was really informative. Happy Surgiversary!
    ..... Now I’m going to go find your mantra-it seems like a great way to live the sleeved life !

1 month-219 lbs (-25)

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for giving us a very informative and eye opening post on how life can be six years out. I sometimes doubt myself and come here for reassurance on what I need to be doing to succeed. Much thanks and congratulations!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Congratulations on your Surgiversary.

Just for interest, and correct me if my maths is wrong, but at 273 lb, that is 19.something stone, 123.8 kg? And wouldn't that be way over a healthy BMI for you? Just wondering then, why you set your goal weight so high? Thanks.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Onya Robert you legend. I will always love the story of the guy who ate the taco straight after surgery! I lolled up a kidney! Thanks for all the info :-)

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

You are my 5th pillar. So inspirational. Thanks for being my mentor. And thanks for giving me kicks in the ass when I've needed them. Congrats on your loss and most of all, your maintenance and dedication to our sleeved world.

Jess

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

As always, so inspirational and such a reassurance that regain is not inevitable.
    I learn a lot here.
    From you, as well as from others.
    But, like you said: it is important to find out what works for me.
    A little bit of this, a little bit of that.
    I am still in the learning phase, but there is no doubt in my mind I will get "it".
    I have a plan, I work my plan, I own the results and I change where necessary.
    Again, thank you!
    And happy sixth surgeversary!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by denzel View Post

Just for interest, and correct me if my maths is wrong, but at 273 lb, that is 19.something stone, 123.8 kg? And wouldn't that be way over a healthy BMI for you? Just wondering then, why you set your goal weight so high? Thanks.

Good question. Just like there is no “one size fits all” plan for losing weight with the sleeve, BMI is also an arbitrary number designed as a guide and not a absolute. I am an old football (American) player and have always been larger than most. When I was in the best playing shape of my life, I was 6’3” and weighed 295 lbs. I had a 34” waist and a 52” chest. My BMI at that weight would be considered unhealthy, yet, I was one of the healthiest people on the planet. I chose to lose half of my starting body weight to see if I could. When I got there, I didn’t like how I looked or felt. I chose to gain back 10 to 15 lbs and felt better. That’s where I stay.

As with all things sleeve, your body will tell everything you need to know.

For those who posted such kind words, I thank you very much.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member paradoxgal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    05-10-2019 12:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey tinman, I’m coming up on 5 years and have been friends with you on here since then. I don’t come on here much but I just wanted to ask you if you know if it’s possible to ”unstretch” your sleeve? If it stretches out from over eating, are people just stretched for good?

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denzel View Post

People tend to set their goal weights at something they feel is achievable OR what their doctor tells them to set it at. Often, doctors tell them to set their goal for an 80% to 60% loss since statistics say that's what we can expect to lose. Originally, I set my goal at 160 because of how I'd felt in the past when I'd weighed 160. When I got to 160 I decided and wanted to and could get to 145 so I changed it to that. Not only did I get there, I got to 130 losing a total of 118lbs. Now, did I keep it off? Well, not all of it. I did have a regain a couple of years later that I am currently working on losing. That said, I set mini-goals that I can wrap my brain around and that are achievable to me. I set 5lb goals at a time with the larger goal of getting into the next 10lb increment. Now, ultimately my goal is to get to 140 but if I set it in stone at that and I see that number every day, it will feel insurmountable and I know from past experience that I'll be setting myself up for failure. I'd be thrilled if I only made it to 160. According to the charts, that's not a healthy BMI but it's a loss of 52% of the weight regained from weighing 130 and 17% of my starting body weight from my regain (which had me at 192). I'd say that's quite a huge accomplishment. So while some don't have their goals set at a "healthy" BMI, it's MUCH healthier than it was and that means a lot. It's all about what works for the individual and not what the charts say. Goals are about the big picture. The fact that tinman has lost 265lbs is incredible no matter what his BMI is.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

What happened to airing of grievances? Let's get some fun started!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy belated surgiversary!

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    What happened to airing of grievances? Let's get some fun started!
    Yeah... bring it on!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.