Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Still here

Well, I'm still here. The whole pseudo Atkins sorta kinda didn't work. The scale didn't budge below 185 and I only saw that for like a day. I worked out so much I hurt my shoulder. I haven't been able to work out in weeks. BUT - I haven't given up. I did some analysis of my food intake and saw that I was eating WAY too much protein and not enough veggies or fats. It's because post-op they drill into our heads PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN!! Well, that's not a problem 5 years out. So, the whole protein overdose thing doesn't apply anymore. I put myself in a state of gluconeogenisis which took me right out of ketosis and defeated the entire purpose of what I was busting my ass to do. I was eating more protein than my liver could process so it was converted into sugar/glucose (the enemy) and causing the insulin spikes regardless of my carb cut back. I ended up gaining a little again. SO - I made another plan. I'm all about making plans, working the plan, listening to my body, owning my results, and making changes as needed.

That said, I went to my doctor and found out I have a vitamin B and D deficiency as well as potassium and magnesium. This partially explains the muscle soreness I'm experiencing. So, now I'm SO happy to say I'm back on weekly B12 shots. In the past, those boost my weight loss and make me feel fantastic. I'm also now getting lipotropic injections and taking D, magnesium, and potassium. I'm eating a LOT more vegetables, less protein, and more fat. I've also upped my water intake. I'm not getting as much as I should but I'm getting a LOT more. It's better than the zero amount of water I was drinking before. I'd say I'm at least hitting the 64oz mark.

On top of that, I am doing intermittent fasting which I prefer and I'm in the process of going keto. I've lost 6lbs in the first week. I finally hit my first goal and got to change my ticker goal weight down to my next 5lb range. Yay!!

So, I'm still in the game. I've got a new plan and will work it to the fullest and once my shoulder feels better I will again start working out in moderation.

Until next time, take care losers!!

Jess

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/03/2018
    Surgeon
    Frederick Amog
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 09:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Default Re: Still here

Congratulations on your weight loss. I just started with my B12 Energy Plus Topical Patches today because my energy level was so low. It was hard to function. I recently got my surgery on Aug. 3. I am noticing already that one day I am 194 and the next I am 191. Been going through this for a few days now. Any advice?

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

For the first few weeks weight will fall off you. That said, around week 3 or 4 you will hit the dreaded "3 week stall". DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! This happens to everyone. Everyone gets upset about it and feels like the surgery didn't work or they are doing something wrong. No, it's just the 3 week stall. It will last maybe 1 - 2 weeks and then you'll get on the scale one day and 5lbs will be gone. Hang in there. You've got a lot to get used to. Welcome to your new sleeved life!!

Revision stats:

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/03/2018
    Surgeon
    Frederick Amog
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 09:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Thank you so much. I was worrying about this and thinking that it didn't work.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Jess, I like that you're setting 5-pound weight-loss goals. Haven't seen anyone here do that. But it makes total sense.

FYI, I'm really grooving lately on the woo-woo suggestion to focus on my behavior, not on results ... the idea that results definitely will happen if my actions are the right ones. For me, that puts the focus where it needs to be (again, for me). Just a thought ....

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Jess, I like that you're setting 5-pound weight-loss goals. Haven't seen anyone here do that. But it makes total sense.

FYI, I'm really grooving lately on the woo-woo suggestion to focus on my behavior, not on results ... the idea that results definitely will happen if my actions are the right ones. For me, that puts the focus where it needs to be (again, for me). Just a thought ....
    Thanks, Ann. I do that because if I set it at 140 and see how far away I am from that every day, I'll just feel like it's insurmountable. 5lb goals toward getting into the lower 10lb range work for me. I just take it day by day, pound by pound until I get in to the next increment. It all adds up. And I'm definitely focusing on the behavior since I feel my behavior is what caused my regain. The results WILL happen if I just stay the course. After all, the only thing I can control in this life is myself. I control my behavior. That can't be blamed on anyone else. And I control my choices. As long as I make good choices for me then good things will happen. I just have to find the right mix. But my past behavioral pattern of getting frustrated and giving up is where it needs to be, in the past. It's hard to keep it there when the scale isn't moving but it will. It is. I just have to make this permanent this time and work harder at it because this time, it is mandatory that the changes ARE permanent. That's the only way I'll be able to maintain this time. Permanent positive behavior changes show results. Period. They may not be the kinds of results you want so you just have to start looking in different places like measurements or how things fit. NSV's count too! And I've definitely got those.

I'm not giving up again and I'm not reverting back to old habits once I get back to where I want to be. I didn't realize I had to keep working hard to stay there. I know that now.

Revision stats:

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieStillG's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post

I totally think JessieJess is nailing it - listening to her body setting goals her mind can wrap around and her emotions can hold on to. I also agree to you "woo woo" idea - behavior, not results. I find myself having number anxiety which is nto why I had a VGS.

Love you ladies!

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

You are doing so great Jess, great attitude :-)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jess, for your honesty and inspiration.
    You will get to where it is you want to be.
    You can do anything you want with a mindset like this.
    I still cheer you on!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    11-02-2018 10:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Well, I'm still here. The whole pseudo Atkins sorta kinda didn't work. The scale didn't budge below 185 and I only saw that for like a day. I worked out so much I hurt my shoulder. I haven't been able to work out in weeks. BUT - I haven't given up. I did some analysis of my food intake and saw that I was eating WAY too much protein and not enough veggies or fats. It's because post-op they drill into our heads PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN!! Well, that's not a problem 5 years out. So, the whole protein overdose thing doesn't apply anymore. I put myself in a state of gluconeogenisis which took me right out of ketosis and defeated the entire purpose of what I was busting my ass to do. I was eating more protein than my liver could process so it was converted into sugar/glucose (the enemy) and causing the insulin spikes regardless of my carb cut back. I ended up gaining a little again. SO - I made another plan. I'm all about making plans, working the plan, listening to my body, owning my results, and making changes as needed.

That said, I went to my doctor and found out I have a vitamin B and D deficiency as well as potassium and magnesium. This partially explains the muscle soreness I'm experiencing. So, now I'm SO happy to say I'm back on weekly B12 shots. In the past, those boost my weight loss and make me feel fantastic. I'm also now getting lipotropic injections and taking D, magnesium, and potassium. I'm eating a LOT more vegetables, less protein, and more fat. I've also upped my water intake. I'm not getting as much as I should but I'm getting a LOT more. It's better than the zero amount of water I was drinking before. I'd say I'm at least hitting the 64oz mark.

On top of that, I am doing intermittent fasting which I prefer and I'm in the process of going keto. I've lost 6lbs in the first week. I finally hit my first goal and got to change my ticker goal weight down to my next 5lb range. Yay!!

So, I'm still in the game. I've got a new plan and will work it to the fullest and once my shoulder feels better I will again start working out in moderation.

Jess
    Jess - I’m new and your post was good for my soul. I am 7 years out and lost only half my goal weight. I have no clue what happened but my surgery mates lost much more. The only difference was that I was a Diabetic. For the last 7 years I have really struggled. Can you please tell me what you daily diet looks like? I desperately want to get back on track! My sleeve is still working. I can only eat 4-6 ozs per meal. Please help!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

It's interesting how we need to find out what works for us as individuals.
    Yes, we know that basics but if that isn't working for you and something else does then you go for it.
    Good idea re the incremental goals. Sometimes the final goal seems just too far away.
    You are doing great. :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member AuburnTigers10's Avatar
    Name
    Paige Smith-Arnold
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Colleen Kennedy
    Last Activity
    12-13-2018 02:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post

Jess
    I have finally got a hold of myself and told myself i didnt have this surgery to go back to my old ways. So, with a 50 lb weight gain in the last 2 years, it;s time i take back control of the reason why i started this journey. SO, for starters, didnt know that having too much protein can cause you to "overdose" and that is so awesome to know. And maybe this could be a problem. So, my question is, how much protein do you eat,(adverage)? and with you doing the intermittent fasting what does your daily log look like? I know Im like 3 months behind reading these, im so glad I did. Thanks for your input and encouraging post.
    Paige Smith~ "A Man Travels the World In Search of What He Needs and Returns Home to Find It"