06/20/2018
    Last Activity
    05-15-2019 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Protein - Calories - Little help needed

Hi Y'all,

I paid cash for my surgery, Great Doctor but the after care is very lacking. They say wait till 3 months to ask questions, I'm at 2 months post surgery and need answers now! I called to try to get in - No, they said, you have to wait. Uggggg.

Protein - I was told to get at least 60 grams of protein, but does that mean I can eat more? Will it hurt? Is there a limit?

Calories - I was not told anything about calories, not sure what I should shoot for daily? Is it a size and weight thing? I was 205, now 185. You thoughts will help me to decide that.

Carbs - nothing was address to me - Again maybe you can give me a guideline.

I'm really tired all the time so maybe I'm not getting the right amount. Taking B12 % Vit D - so not the problem.

Thanking you in advance for your Great help.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/29/2018
    Surgeon
    Bautista
    Last Activity
    10-30-2018 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Default Re: Protein - Calories - Little help needed

I'm sorry the after care is lacking for you. My surgeon's office wouldn't let me leave my pre-op appt a week ago without me making a 2,4, and 6 wk appt. After 6 wks, if there's no issues, then I go back every 3 mos. for a year.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I'd dispute the quality of a surgeon who casts you to the winds for 3 months post surgery. Sounds like a policy that would give his lawyers and insurance company nightmares on the day he finally really messes up.

You can go over on protein. If you are doing shakes and food it's pretty hard not to.

Calories/Carbs is kinda connected question and I've seen quite a few different regimens on here but they boil down to 2 camps.

Camp 1: Don't count calories but don't eat carbs or added sugar. Basically eat a lean protein and non starch veggies and low fat dairy. Protein, then veggies/fruits, then dairy.

Camp 2: You can eat carbs but not added sugar but in moderation. Carbs should not be refined and should lean towards veggies and whole grains. Still only eat them after you get your protein in the meal. Count calories and end up in the 1000-1200 range eventually with more if you are exercising a lot.

Overall though you are in the reintroducing foods stage so test stuff slowly. Given the constraints of your sleeve you shouldn't get into trouble as long as you avoid sugars and bad carbs, particularly in liquid form.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/24/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Strickland
    Last Activity
    08-24-2018 08:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Happyme 2. I am 5weeks post op. Been doing exactly what I'm supposed to do as far as diet, etc. I am losing about 1.5 pounds every two days. Some days none. I have called my doctor many times before and after surgery with questions. They encourage it. I never heard of someone being told told not to call with questions. I would call until you get some answers. We must be our own advocates. Good luck with your journey.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

If you want to PM me your email address I can send you all the paperwork for my surgeon. You do not need to count calories. Just focus on protein first then veggies. If you are still hungry you can have healthy carbs but I recommend limiting carbs during the weight loss phase. As for the protein, yes you can have more. It won't hurt you to have more healthy proteins.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents