Surgeon
    Dr Huddleston
    Last Activity
    06-08-2019 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 60 Times

Default Post op diet

any ideas on how to get through the pre surgery jitters, Can't get it out f my head that I will be one of the ones that won't be able to eat and then my life will be destroyed Any body have any trouble with keeping food down All,of my family is really trying to,talk me out of this. Which by the way isn't helping any. Surgery date the 14th. I,still,have time to back,out Could really use some advise.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Troy Houseworth
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Re: Post op diet

Quote Originally Posted by Tim 1 View Post
    any ideas on how to get through the pre surgery jitters, Can't get it out f my head that I will be one of the ones that won't be able to eat and then my life will be destroyed Any body have any trouble with keeping food down All,of my family is really trying to,talk me out of this. Which by the way isn't helping any. Surgery date the 14th. I,still,have time to back,out Could really use some advise.
    I had VSG done on 5/7/2018. From the first day post op I was getting in all my fluids...when I added protein drinks & vitamins week 2 I had no issues with those either; I had the same kinds I had been taking preop; Premier Protein, Muscle Milk Light and Bariatric Fusion vitamins. I also had sugar free Jello on fluids only stage....I'm just not a big popsicle fan. By the time I had reached 2 weeks post op I was already down 25 pounds! Breezed through to puree and soft foods with no issues. I'm now 13 weeks out tomorrow. I'm down 63 pounds since surgery and 99 pounds from my highest weight. I have yet to eat any food that does not agree with me. I strictly follow my program as far as calories, protein, fluids, etc. I eat very low carb. I feel great and am so glad I made this decision! You won't know until you move forward what you can do to change your life and your health.

HW 2016=310
    SW 5/7/18= 274

4 weeks=241.6
    8 weeks=225.0
    12 weeks=214.8
    16 weeks=205.6
    20 weeks=198.6
    24 weeks=193.2

6 Mos check-up w/Surgeon: 11/13/2018=189
    28 weeks=187
    32 weeks=181.2
    36 weeks=174
    39 weeks + 2 days=169.8 = GOAL!

40 weeks=168
    44 weeks=163
    48 weeks=160.4
    51 weeks; day of 1-yr appt w/surgeon=159.4
    54 weeks=154

Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't back out. Once you have it and begin to shed the pounds your whole life changes and you realize that you made the greatest decision ever. The pre-op diet is no fun, we have all been there. The reward you get after surgery is priceless. Keep your chin up, put up with a little pain at first and you will feel the greatest you ever have.

Watch videos on youtube, you can learn and get answers to any questions you have. There are a ton of people to watch and learn from on there, it certainly helped me out when I first started this whole process. Best of luck and don't give up!!
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Friend, I understand the fears and apprehension you are experiencing. I have been there. I, however, joined this forum about three months before my surgery on May 16, 2016, and before that, I had already done extensive research, and no one was going to talk me out of it. I knew full well the risks involved. The path my life was going 245lbs, recently diagnosed with diabetes, cholesterol out of control, I was already signing my death warrant.

My worst fear was losing and gaining back, which is easy to do two plus years out. If you think the preop is difficult, and the post-op of liquids and soft foods is unthinkable, wait until you stop losing weight, and you have to work at maintaining your weight loss.

There are many successes stories here from folks who have been sleeved much much longer than I. There are also a few stories of those whose surgery did not go as planned who have suffered significant injuries, or not recuperated well. Those stories are here but far, and few and between, and still no one could talk me out of it.

Start blogging or keeping a diary of your feelings and thoughts, of good readings you may want to revisit at some point in the journey. Going back to my writings has helped me refocus and getting back to the most basic foundation, the gastric sleeve surgery will equip you with a tool for life... how you use it is utterly your decision.

Coming back to this forum after being gone almost a year and seeing the veteran sleevers still encouraging and supporting those new on this journey has been enlightening.

Should you decide to go through surgery shortly and wait for another time, you will be part of this fantastic community, and you won’t go through this alone unless you want to go alone at it. We will be here encouraging one another to become improved and healthier versions of ourselves. Unfortunately, even supportive family and friends with the best intentions may never know the changes you are making mentally, spiritually, and even physically. Some will not like the transformation and maybe be threatened by you. You have to be prepared for those situations.

I pray you will have the best of experiences in your personal and professional circles and here.

Look for Dr. Wiener YouTube videos. I found him the most informative.

Best of wishes in this adventure of a lifetime and on your self-discovery journey.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Surgery date
    08/29/2018
    Surgeon
    Bautista
    Last Activity
    10-30-2018 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I think when loved ones try to talk us out of this surgery it's out of their fear for us. They feel like the weight is such a superficial thing and it's not worth the risk of us being in pain or the risk of possible death. At least these were my thoughts when my 2 friends had surgery. Now here I am, going to have Sleeve surgery in a few weeks. It's helps that I've had people close to me go through this journey and I've seen their lives improve dramatically. I've seen them get off medications, I've seen them have more energy and be more involved in life and I've seen their confidence go through the roof. I considered WLS for nearly 10 years and like the previous poster said, at this point NO one could talk me out of it. I want a better life and it appears you do as well. So quell their fears and move positively forward with your decision to improve your life. Best of luck to you!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member AnnieStillG's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Post Op diet flew by! First, I wasn't hungry ever. But after the lquires, the taste of things was new and relearning what I liked and din't was kind of neat. It's not that many weeks out of your life!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Family...while well meaning...can be negative about weight loss surgery. You are more likely to have complications from obesity than the sleeve. I have no issues. Yes, in the beginning you can get sick if you eat too much or too fast. But you learn to eat with your new tummy and you breeze on through the weight loss journey. Best thing I could have ever done.