Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Gaining more fats can make a person lose self-esteem

A friend of mine has lost her self-confidence because of her continuous weight gain. She had tried many different diets which showed no result. What worries her more is the fact that she might not be able to have kids anymore if she will not lose weight. Can gastric sleeve procedure guarantee hundred percent weight lost?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gaining more fats can make a person lose self-esteem

There are no guarantees. If you want you can still eat around your sleeve if you eat crappy foods. You have to follow the program. If you do follow it, yes you will be successful. If you eat just sweets, chips, crackers, fried foods, ice creams etc then you can still remain overweight.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

No. Weight loss surgery doesn't guarantee 100% weight loss. Nor does it guarantee weight loss maintenance, which is the ultimate goal of WLS patients.

For most people who wind up needing WLS there are multiple reasons that they and their medicos have never adequately addressed as to WHY they became obese. Those reasons include factors that are biochemical, physical, psychological, emotional, habitual, and others. Obesity is a complex condition and a complex disease. It requires a lifelong commitment on the part of a patient to manage it well.

In my case, as a long-time overweight and obese woman I had simply never put my own needs before those of others. Self care was a bundle of behaviors I had never acquired and didn't practice. I could diet and lose weight. But, very strangely, I never fully grasped that maintaining a healthy weight loss required me NOT TO RETURN to all the behaviors that had led to obesity in the first place.

In my case, I also had used food all my life to feel better, to celebrate, to relieve boredom, anxiety, and any other unpleasant feelings you could name. Therefore, in my case, seeing a therapist has been a great help.

The gastric sleeve certainly got my attention and helped me to eat a lot less, especially initially. I lost 100 pounds. Four years later, I can eat more now, but still less at one sitting than I used to be able to eat -- UNLESS I am eating "slider foods" (highly processed foods like cookies, ice cream, processed breads and crackers, chips, sugary drinks, etc.) that go down easily and that the sleeve does not and never will challenge. So if I were determined to eat more than I need to eat to remain at this weight, I could certainly do so.

Also in my case, I think that five years ago, when I became nearly immobilized and agoraphobic due to having finally gained enough weight that I was 100 pounds overweight, I finally "touched bottom" and was forced to admit that I had one last chance to get healthy before I was too far gone to help myself.

I will also say this very clearly: No one can or should coerce anyone into deciding to have WLS. This decision HAS to be made by the patient her/himself. And that decision has to be fueled by a sincere commitment to do everything it takes to succeed.

That's my take on WLS. Others may feel differently about it than I do.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

No, the surgery alone can't guarantee weight loss. The surgery is just a tool (an amazing tool for sureI) I totally changed my lifestyle with both food and exercise, and have lost all my weight and kept it off over 4 years. But I have been extremely diligent about my new lifestyle for over 4 years.

But not everyone does. I know people who have had the surgery and I can't even tell by looking at them, they are still huge. It's all up to the individual and how they use their new tool. The sleeve won't keep you from eating crap, in fact junk food goes down much easier than a healthy piece of protein.

Your friend will need to research the surgery and decide if it may be something for her. But you telling her she is fat sure won't do any good! She will have to come to that conclusion on her own.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

So undergoing surgery is not a sure thing to losing weight. Lifestyle change is a key factor which is kind of hard. I tried searching online, and came across this site that talks about working one change at a time can lead to a lasting healthier lifestyle. Maybe they can help encourage her in working on her self-esteem issues and start changing her lifestyle change.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    No. Weight loss surgery doesn't guarantee 100% weight loss. Nor does it guarantee weight loss maintenance, which is the ultimate goal of WLS patients.

For most people who wind up needing WLS there are multiple reasons that they and their medicos have never adequately addressed as to WHY they became obese. Those reasons include factors that are biochemical, physical, psychological, emotional, habitual, and others. Obesity is a complex condition and a complex disease. It requires a lifelong commitment on the part of a patient to manage it well.

In my case, as a long-time overweight and obese woman I had simply never put my own needs before those of others. Self care was a bundle of behaviors I had never acquired and didn't practice. I could diet and lose weight. But, very strangely, I never fully grasped that maintaining a healthy weight loss required me NOT TO RETURN to all the behaviors that had led to obesity in the first place.

In my case, I also had used food all my life to feel better, to celebrate, to relieve boredom, anxiety, and any other unpleasant feelings you could name. Therefore, in my case, seeing a therapist has been a great help.

The gastric sleeve certainly got my attention and helped me to eat a lot less, especially initially. I lost 100 pounds. Four years later, I can eat more now, but still less at one sitting than I used to be able to eat -- UNLESS I am eating "slider foods" (highly processed foods like cookies, ice cream, processed breads and crackers, chips, sugary drinks, etc.) that go down easily and that the sleeve does not and never will challenge. So if I were determined to eat more than I need to eat to remain at this weight, I could certainly do so.

Also in my case, I think that five years ago, when I became nearly immobilized and agoraphobic due to having finally gained enough weight that I was 100 pounds overweight, I finally "touched bottom" and was forced to admit that I had one last chance to get healthy before I was too far gone to help myself.

I will also say this very clearly: No one can or should coerce anyone into deciding to have WLS. This decision HAS to be made by the patient her/himself. And that decision has to be fueled by a sincere commitment to do everything it takes to succeed.

That's my take on WLS. Others may feel differently about it than I do.

I had my friend read your reply and she felt inspired. Thanks.