Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-29-2018 09:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Unhappy Does the stomach return to normal function in the future?

Hello. I'm considering to have the surgery soon, but what worries me is the fact that I have to take minerals and vitamins via supplements and not through normal food intake, and the fact that I'll have to drink less amount of water for a while.

My question is, will my stomach ever strech to a normal size again so I can eat normal food and drink adequate amount of water? And I don't mean that in the sense of overeating and gaining weight again, but eat and drink normal portions like everyone else. Because I really don't want to always not drink as much water as I like or take supplements forever.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does the stomach return to normal function in the future?

Welcome here.
    When you want to eat and drink like a normal person there is no sense in having this surgery, is there?
    With this procedure 80-85% of you stomach is removed, as in taken out.
    For ever.

You can stretch your sleeve by constantly overeating, but why should you want to?
    This is not a temporary "fix", this is permanent.
    You will eventually over time be able to eat more than right after your surgery, but the whole point is, it will never be as much as before.
    Unless you want to, but then why have the surgery at all?

If I were you, I would seriously reconsider doing this.
    And just by reading your questions, I would not recommend this surgery at all, to be honest.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You will eat normally for a healthy person, which is a whole lot less food than we ate when we were obese! You will be completely satisfied with this new portion size. Any obese person never ate "normal" sized portions. If you want to eat how you do now don't have the surgery. America has lost the idea of what a normal portion size is. When I was a kid all they served at McDonalds was the small burger and small fries. Even dishes have changed, I swear my stoneware bowls are practically big enough to bathe a baby. Can you imagine if I filled one up with ice cream?

My mom was always small, about 110, and has always eaten smaller portions than most people. Obviously that's why she has always weighed 110. (She is now 91 so has maintained this weight for her lifetime; I doubt she would have lived this long at 200 pounds). If I would have followed her example, I wouldn't have gotten so fat.

While I eat normally, just what I should be eating according to the sleeve, I do still take my recommended vitamins. It's certainly no big deal to take my multi-vitamin and calcium citrate every day. You will never have to limit your water intake except very early on when you have to sip to not damage your tummy. Now I hike with my backpack bladder full of water; I'd say I drink 2 liters on a long hike.

Study up on all the "rules" of the sleeve. I actually found them really easy and fun. But if you don't intend on following them, the sleeve is not for you. It is for people willing to change their relationship with food. And after a while, you don't even notice you are eating properly, it just becomes a habit.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

No you got me all wrong.

What I was trying to say was, with the portion I'm eating now and the regular exercises I do, my weight has been constant for a while now. I avoid fatty and sugary foods and soft drinks anyway. I just have a problem with the portion I'm eating and always feeling full when it's too late. Obviously I'm willing to change for the better and have WAY smaller portions than I have now, but my concerns lie in not ever eating a NORMAL portions or foods, and I don't mean anything near what I'm eating now. I don't mind being on a liquid diet and eating too little until I lose all my excess weight and become healthy, but I want know what happens afterwards.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Have you had the sleeve? Then the trick is to stop eating BEFORE you get full. (Full hurts!). Over time you will be able to eat more, but if you stick to how you were taught to eat you'll be fine.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm a bit fuzzy about the question. You really haven't said what you mean by normal in terms of foods eaten and the quantity and frequency.
    I eat abou 1200 calories a day at 9 1/2 months out. I eat protein first, then healthy carbs (vegs) and then if there is room, something like a whole wheat pasta, or bread....

I can have pizza. One slice, thin crust, light cheese, veggies only. It fills me up completely at 322 calories. Do I do it daily. NO.

The VGS is a tool to take control of the things that controlled us....
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Okay I'll try to clarify again as much as I can.

Imagine the portion of an obese person; it's too big and unhealthy, yes?

Now look at your portion after the surgery; too little and people would say you eat like bird

Now imagine a portion of a fit and healthy person that never did the surgery; it would be much smaller than the obese's portion but more than of someone who did a VSG, and they'd be satisfied but not feeling full with it.

That's the portion I want to reach, and I don't mean reaching immediately after the surgery of course, but after a couple of years. I hope this clarifies what I mean by "normal portion".

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

And no I did not do the surgery yet. I don't care if it's painful or how much I'm eating till I lose all my excessive weight. If anything, I'm only worried about how much water I can have, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

After having read and reread (and reread) all of this, I stick with my opinion: this is not for you.
    No, you will never eat the portions a "normal healthy" person eats.

We all eat like "normal, healthy, sleeved" persons.
    As we are supposed to.
    We did have a substantial portion of our stomachs removed, 80-85%.
    How do you recon we can all eat like we have a 100% size stomach?
    And when I hear you say "I don't care how much it hurt" you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

I would suggest you go and find yourself something else to do in terms of wls.
    Just my opinion.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesisdawn View Post
    Okay I'll try to clarify again as much as I can.

Imagine the portion of an obese person; it's too big and unhealthy, yes?

Now look at your portion after the surgery; too little and people would say you eat like bird

Now imagine a portion of a fit and healthy person that never did the surgery; it would be much smaller than the obese's portion but more than of someone who did a VSG, and they'd be satisfied but not feeling full with it.

That's the portion I want to reach, and I don't mean reaching immediately after the surgery of course, but after a couple of years. I hope this clarifies what I mean by "normal portion".
    Hello friend,

I'm not really sure to understand why you worry but my advice would be to do more research. And focus on the most important, being obese is bad for your health, getting the surgery and being committed to follow the guidelines will help in the long run to have a longer life.

But I understand this surgery has many"side effects" and it's you're right to ask questions to people who had it!! so to make it short I will share my own experience : when I was morbidly obese, my body asked me two large plates of food and of course I was drinking a lot since I was so heavy. I was eating a "healthy diet" and mainly gained weight with medication, hormone issues etc but having IBS I couldn't eat all the time how I wanted (veggies would make me sick, now they don't) so I was eating way too much carb...but I was not eating fried food or candies or any junk food.I did studied nutrition for 3 years and could have been taking the exam to be a nutritionist if I had time to do a 6 months unpaid internship. So you can be obese eating "healthy" but just way too much because you are hungry all the time!

I had my surgery 2 and a half years ago, and if at the beginning I could only drink little sip by little sip, now I can drink almost normally (but far from meals of course) and eating at the beginning was like 1/3cup per meal (eating slowly) now I eat half a plate (like my 16 years old who is healthy and slim and never had surgery) with protein first indeed but I also can eat veggies with no issues.
    Appetite is different for everyone, and when you loose weight you won't need those huge amount of food to make your body function, a little car has a little gas tank... right???

Surgery does change the size of your stomach for sure, but you need to keep in mind that it won't be the only reason you will be successful during your journey. Quantities are not important, quality is.
    And what people think can be annoying but it doesn't matter, your health does. Nobody is never questioning what my daughter is eating...or what I eat today.

Take care

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Your question was: Does the stomach return to normal function in the future?
    The answer to that is: it does function normally after a sleeve, it is us, who have to adjust our way of eating and portioning.
    But when your question actually is: Will the sleeve ever return to its former size?
    The answer to that is: no, it will never return to its former size.
    But that is the whole point of this surgery.

As I read it, you want a temporary small stomach to help you loose weight, but after that you want the size of the stomach to become a size that can comfortably fit a "normal" persons portions.
    But there are people here, that can eat up to 1800 calories per day.
    My guess is that would almost look like "normal" portions?

I can physically eat up to 6 ounces per meal.
    Yesterday we went out to dinner and I ordered a full sized meal.
    I almost ate the entire portion of salmon on my plate and some veggies.
    My hubby took what I could not finish.
    No abnormalities there, no one noticed.

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Hi!
    I thought I'd chime in. I'm only 9 months out, but EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED! I really want you to think about this. The best thing about the surgery for me IS the restriction. I pray it lasts forever. I thinks that's the head space you need to be in before you do the surgery. You have to want it so much that food is secondary and the promise of a new life and health is all you can think about. Best of luck!

Gege

18. Said thanks:

DHB

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Sounds like your “normal” question is referring to all the activities you personally relate to your eating beliefs and habits. Only you would know what those are and decide which will serve you well and which won’t in the long run if you decide to go through surgery. It is a decision only you can make.

I did a lot of research prior to deciding so I could make an informed decision.

One website that provided a lot information was Obesity Action Coalition if you scroll down to Gastric Sleeve info section you will see that the stomach will look completely different than it’s evolved biological natural form. Full recovery from this surgery typically takes about 12-weeks, by then stomach sutures have sealed, and stomach muscles are beginning to relax. It’s miraculous actually!

Your new normal stomach is a tool you can use for the rest of your life to help you with your weight and health goals.

You must follow each stage following the gastric sleeve very diligently and after about two years or after you have lost a substantial amount of weight you have to work just as diligently to keep the weight off and maintain a healthy weight and life style.

If you read posts from veteran sleevers who have been successful at maintaining you will find out that their anchors or key things that have helped them in their journeys may vary, but there all have a foundation based on high-nutrition, exercise, supplementation, water, and self-care.

You need to figure out what those will be for you even before you decide to go through surgery if possible. If not, you will eventually be back where you started.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting an answer. Your question was plain as day from your very first post.

To answer you, I am 3 years 8 months into this, and I can eat like a normal (non weight loss surgery patient) sometimes. I can eat a whole sandwich in a sitting. That started last year at about 2.5 years out. Some days/meals I get full faster, and can't eat very much. The thing that bothers me at this point is that I'm almost always hungry again right away and want to eat within an hour or two of my last meal.

Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't have this surgery or that you won't be successful if you don't follow x, y, & z rules. It's hogwash. I don't follow the rules at all, and I'm just as successful as anyone else here. If you want the surgery, go for it!
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 1 year 9 months post op. I can eat considerably more than I did in the beginning but still eat smaller portions than most people. If I eat solid proteins like meats I fill up a lot faster. If I eat breads, sweets, chips, fried foods, ice creams etc I can eat quite a bit more before feeling full. Those foods are known as slider foods. That being said, I eat relatively decent size portions. Big enough that people don't seem to even notice that I am living life with a sleeved belly. I can socialize. I drink alcohol. I eat mostly what I want. I choose to make good, healthy choices but will have other things if I want them. I also workout daily so that allows me to eat what I want and maintain. I have no off limit foods.