Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member BlessedBluebird's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-15-2022 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 50 year old considering gastric sleeve - am I too old & will it help my knees?

Hello all, I just stumbled upon this site. I am 50+ years old, weigh 250 lbs, have severe bone-on-bone arthritis in my knees and considering gastric sleeve. I would like to lose 100 lbs. I haven't explored this site yet, and I'm betting my questions have already been asked, so I apologize in advance. I'm quite nervous about doing this because of my age. Has anyone around my age been successful with losing a lot of weight and has it helped bone-on-bone osteoarthritis? I would love to read your success stories! Thanks so much!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    02-26-2024 07:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Default Re: 50 year old considering gastric sleeve - am I too old & will it help my knees?

I’m 66 and 10 weeks post op. My initial recovery might have been a little longer than younger patients but I’m pretty much back to normal now. No regrets. Weight loss helps everything but it will not put cartilage back in your knees. The pain will still be there but it won’t be quite as bad.
    I had both my knees replaced when I was 64. It was the best decision I ever made! Having GS was my next best decision!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 50 year old considering gastric sleeve - am I too old & will it help my knees?

Your age?!!!! You are a spring chicken!!! Best of luck to you, you will do great :-)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

I am 55 and had surgery April 10th. I've had absolutely no problems, recovered quickly. I also have bone on bone in my left knee along with sciatic pain down my right leg. I've lost 49 pounds and will say that the pain in my knee has lessened, although it hasn't gone away completely. Definitely better though The sciatica on the other hand has not gotten better at all, and we're not suppose to take anti inflammatory meds. With that said, I would do this again in a heartbeat!!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

I'm 53 and in the process of doing all the steps my insurance requires. I think it could only get better without the extra pounds lost. Good luck!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I had my gastric sleeve done when I was 51 and 1/2. I have mild-moderate osteoarthritis in my hips, and don't notice the pain .
    All the best!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    kathy
    Surgery date
    02/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Thomas Sonnastine
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I had it done at 56 lost 100 lbs and the following year had both my knees replaced. Both best decisions I ever made in my own personal opinion.

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

No way are you too old, I was 57 when sleeved. As far as bone-on-bone knee issues, I am getting really close to having that too (doctor said it's getting bad, but not bad enough for surgery), and the sleeve has helped immensely. I hike, climb mountains, bike, just do anything and everything! Still have slight knee pain, but not often.

Believe me, when you lose a ton of weight, most of your aches and pains go away. At least mine did. Good luck!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 64 right now, I had my surgery done at age 62.
    Best thing I ever did for myself.
    And as you can see, I lost a lot of weight.
    I also have no more back pains from my spondylolisthesis and no more diabetes.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Today 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I had my sleeve at 65. I had knee issues and after losing 100 my knees feel great. No more ankle or hip issues either. I wish I had the surgery at 50. I think 50 would have been a perfect age for me. The best thing about this surgery is you lose quickly in the first couple of months and then settle in a steady controlled loss. The early loss really helped me with motivation. Best of luck, go for it! Best move I ever made.

21. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Thank you so much for responding! I have just started researching about the gastric sleeve and have already completed the paperwork to start the process (haven't even seen a doctor yet). It seems so scary, and not sure if I could actually do it! I've got to do something though. I have been on some type of diet as long as I can remember, but my weight just keeps going up. I have no energy and stay tired all the time. My quality of life has gone down so much because of the extra weight and bad knee. I would love to be able to enjoy being active with my family again. I wonder too, if the surgery & weight loss would help enough or is it my age too, lol.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Your age?!!!! You are a spring chicken!!! Best of luck to you, you will do great :-)

Spring chicken ??!!??? I sure don't feel like it!! lol. Thanks for the encouragement. I just started researching and have sent the doctor's office my paperwork. Haven't even talked with the doctor's office yet. It seems so scary and last night I read that a lady died from the procedure. Not sure if I could actually do it! Congratulations on your success!

24. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Grammy2s&c View Post
    I'm 53 and in the process of doing all the steps my insurance requires. I think it could only get better without the extra pounds lost. Good luck!
    Good luck to you! Can't wait to see your updates!

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SAMom View Post
    I’m 66 and 10 weeks post op. My initial recovery might have been a little longer than younger patients but I’m pretty much back to normal now. No regrets. Weight loss helps everything but it will not put cartilage back in your knees. The pain will still be there but it won’t be quite as bad.
    I had both my knees replaced when I was 64. It was the best decision I ever made! Having GS was my next best decision!
    Thanks for your encouraging response & congratulations on your weight loss! I just started the process and not sure if I'll be approved and if I could actually go through with it... lol.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 66 and 9 1/2 months post op. BEST decision every in my life for my health. All labs normal, all comorbidities normal, osteoA better, and feeling 20 years younger! <3 Welcome.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!