07-23-2018 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Struggling

Hi All!

It's been awhile since I have posted.

I am about 2 1/2 years post surgery and I am struggling...I have gained back 10lbs (I know not a lot) but I don't want it to turn into 15-20 and on. I feel like I can eat the same amount as I was before the surgery and I am scared. Any tips from anyone that has gone through the same would be greatly appreciated ♥

Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Default Re: Struggling

Cindyj, you're in that place where my doctor told me people start to relax and gain can occur. The first thing to do is make a eating and exercise plan. The goal is lose 1/2 to 1 pound per week. The slow loss means making a slight change to your food consumption and increasing exercise. If it takes you 15 weeks that gives you 15 weeks to build a new habit something you can continue to keep the weight off.

Evernone I know has weight fluctuations. Some only gain a pound or two and others gain between 10 and 15 pounds. It isn't uncommon to gain the weight. Don't beat yourself up for something that happens to 95% of the people who have weight loss surgery. The good thing is you stopping the gain at 10 pounds, which puts you in the minority of taking control of your weight gain.

To get back on track find a support group, either with your doctor's office or online. I try to participate daily on line and attend my monthly support groups. Studies show those of us who are successful at controlling the gain actively discuss weight, food, and exercise. This is a great forum to get help. People are good at leaving their judgement at the door, which makes it a comfortable place to get help.

You can do this. You've already started taking control by posting here today.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, CindyJ, I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Definitely concur with MellowJoy, It’s been a few days since I had to face the truth myself. I had not been on the forum for over six months and less frequently over a year. Reading posts specially from veteran sleevers has put in the right frame of mind. I am proud to say I have been “eating clean” for three days. Have not grazed. Have been drinking lots of unsweetened green tea and water in between meals. I have weighted and measured my protein and veggies. Eaten my protein first, chewed chewed chewed, then chewed some more. Then had amazing steamed veggies or salads. Took a pepsid when I thought I was having hunger pangs/cravings. I have been my probiotics and vitamins again. Started walking again.
    I need to start logging food tho. Anyway, I am down two pounds in less than a week. It could be water, but I am going to continue tomorrow. Hopefully, taking me a step closer to the goal I haven’t reached yet.

Would it be okay if I reach out directly? Maybe we can be of support to each other.

Best wishes!
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The most important thing is you are doing something about it now with just a small gain. Totally doable while it is small. Once you allow it to get out of control it is so much harder. Try to lower your carbs and up your healthy protein and water intake. Make some additional movement improvements throughout your day. Take the steps. Park father away at stores. Go for a walk after dinner. If you are not exercising, add 30 minutes of cardio. You can do this.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I know I can eat a lot now after almost 5 years, but when I stick to how I was taught to eat, protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room, the weight stays off. I think if you get back to how you were eating in the beginning you will get those 10 pounds off in no time. Are you exercising? I know that's why I can eat a little more and still maintain. That and I weigh myself daily so I have no surprises.

My really weird thing I did when I had a small gain that lasted forever after an injury was go back to Weight Watchers. (If someone would have mentioned this to me 2 years ago I would have said they were CRAZY.) But their new plan is how we should be eating, with lean proteins, eggs, beans, veggies and fruits as "free" foods. I lost 10 pounds quickly. It's so easy to track, you just take a photo with your phone of any label to get the point value. I don't have to pay as I was a lifetime member back in the phen-phen days. Others do great logging into My Fitness Pal. I guess the trick is to find what works for you, we're all different. I was never a calorie counter, so found WW easier. Good luck, I know you can do it!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents