Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    07-12-2018 10:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 4 years post op-desperate and ashamed

I’ve dropped the ball. I’m almost 4 years post op and am gaining. I’m probably up 25-30 of the 80 I’ve lost. I’m disappointed and disgusted with myself. I am here for help and support to get back on track.
    Has anyone experienced this and got back on track? I’m considering the post-op diet (pouch reset) to kickstart and get back on track. Does this work?

I’m desperate and ashame

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Default Re: 4 years post op-desperate and ashamed

I had a small regain as well, as a result of ill health. (I am about 3 1/2 years post-op).

I've gone back to basics (not the pouch reset).

Hope that you find the following useful:
    What can you do today to improve and keep great results?

Regardless of the type of weight loss surgery, check your eating style:

Slow down your eating pace. If you have a gastric band, you may need to wait up to 90 seconds between each swallow.

Chew well and clear the mouth between small forkfuls (spoonfuls). There’s no need to rush when the meal is small.

Skip energy-laden drinks, such as sugar-drinks (soft drinks, cordials, energy drinks) and drinks containing alcohol (beer, wine, spirits, cider, liqueurs).

Choose nutrient rich foods including protein rich foods. Protein is nature’s natural appetite suppressant.

Stick with a smaller serving size that is just enough to take your hunger away without either making you feel over-full or leaving you hungry soon after - a fine balance that takes time to to discover. Serve more and you’ll attempt to eat more - human nature at work! Serve too little and you will slip into a less helpful grazing and snacking pattern.

Learn to recognise the differences between true tummy hunger and head hunger. Head hunger is driven by social occasion, desire, emotions, or mood. Respond to head hunger with something other than food.

Stop grazing and random snacking. Between meal eating and drinking is easy to forget and accounts for stalled weight loss and weight regain in many.
    http://www.foodtalk.com.au/contents/...lly_work_.html

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Good for you for reaching out for help!

I don't believe there is something like a pouch reset, I think it is more a "mind reset".
    You got really good advice from Denzel.
    Go for it!
    You can do this!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome and congrats to you for taking control, You can do it!

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You're still down 50 to 55 pounds, that is a lot.I think if you go back to what you originally learned how a sleeved person should eat, the weight will start to come off. And add some exercise for fun.

My doctor doesn't believe in the "pouch reset," but says you can do it for a "mind reset" if you want.

I joined Weight Watchers when I had a 5 pound gain I couldn't get off for a year following an injury. It is basically how we should be eating, lean proteins, veggies, beans, and fruits are "free." It sort of opened my eyes to things I was eating that I though were healthy, but were crammed with calories like cashews or my yogurt or wine. Lost 10 pounds. And I get to go for free as I was a lifetime member way back in the day, so now I go once a month. Most people here would probably think I'm nuts (I would have said someone was nuts to do this years ago), but it helped me with the accountability.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I think re-joining WW is a great idea.
    Ever since you said that the first time a couple of months ago, I am thinking of that.
    I'm also a member for life (3 times ), but I don't think I can join an online community for free.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go read what I posted in response to your comment on my thread. And be kind to yourself. You're human. You're not perfect. But, since this is a journey, we can start over or redirect any time we want. Your time to redirect COULD be right now if you want it to be.
    Go check out my reply.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Sally
    Surgery date
    07/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. R. Richard
    Last Activity
    03-15-2023 06:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times
    Blog Entries

Srambaer- I did exactly the same thing. I have gone to WW off and on since 1990 until I had my surgery in 2013. This past January I found myself up 25 lbs from my original surgery goal. The reset didn't do much for me so I went back WW. The current WW program by far produced the best WW results for me. The free foods are the same list as my surgeon advised. I have lost 30 lbs since January and has been an almost painless process. I believe the ease of dieting on the current program is aided greatly by the fact that the stomach constriction has not disappeared and the high protein foods keep me satisfied. Since surgery, when I finally do get hungry, I want something NOW and that has usually meant fast food or empty calories items consumed. I just make sure I always have a zero point option (one that I really like) at the ready should I get hungry.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The pouch reset basically is a way to kick start you back to basics. I don't think it would hurt. The biggest thing is cut the carbs, up the protein and fluids, exercise. Make YOU a priority. Everyone else might have to man up for a bit while you focus on you. I think the pouch reset kind of helps you detox the bad food cravings. Just my opinion....everyone has one.

18. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Go read what I posted in response to your comment on my thread. And be kind to yourself. You're human. You're not perfect. But, since this is a journey, we can start over or redirect any time we want. Your time to redirect COULD be right now if you want it to be.
    Go check out my reply.
    I was going to recommend reading Jessiejess' posts. She regained, but is not ashamed, instead she is taking action and being successfull. You can do it too!

Being ashamed of ourselves got us nothing other than fat. Be proud of what you have accomplished so far, and get back on track.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Please be gentle with yourself; we are all in the same position where our relationship with food and our bodies is still a bit like a chimera. You made the biggest, hardest first step in admitting to yourself you're not happy with the results of your decisions. Reaching out is brave. And JessieJess has some great advice.

Walk on! We're with ya@
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm glad you find my posts helpful. Because so many on here helped and inspired me on my first part of this journey, it's been my goal ever since to pay it forward. I'm just really happy that I'm able to be here and be active and useful again.

So, for those of you who don't know what post I'm referring to and didn't see her question or my reply to it, I'll post it here. It was in response to my post about being a loser again. Her question was asking me if I fell off the wagon. Here's what I responded with:

"First of all, don't be ashamed. You had 85% of your stomach removed so you would lose weight. You were not on a diet. Therefore, as the mantra goes "You are not on a diet, so you cannot fail at a diet". You have not failed. Don't give up. See this gain for what it is and turn it around. You know how to lose weight because you did it before and you CAN do it again. You just have to stop with the guilt, shame, and feelings of despair and trust me, I know all about those because I've been feeling that way for 2 years. All they did was make me wallow in self pity and gain more weight which led to more depression, and so on and so forth. I started gaining weight back in 2016 and from 2016 to now regained 60lbs. I won't say I fell off the wagon because without having been on a diet, there is no wagon. It's just life. I fell away from my life and my new lifestyle that I SO loved. I had personal problems and depression and basically drank my way around my sleeve with empty calories that got WAY out of control and got me where I am now. BUT - this can be reversed. I've still got my sleeve and so do you. You just have to get your head back in the right place so you can be proud of yourself by taking ownership of your situation and committing to making a change. Committing is something to be proud of. Replace the shame and despair with commitment and pride and just return to the healthy lifestyle you chose to lead when you got your sleeve. It's still there. It still works. You haven't regained all of your weight back and that's a huge accomplishment. A lot of people do! You've realized early that you need to lose weight. So just do it. You've got the tool and the knowledge and definitely the support on this board. Having 25 - 30 lbs to lose is MUCH more doable than 80. You're still at a 63% loss from your original loss. That's awesome for someone who is 4 years out!!! You lost 80lbs!! You can definitely lose 25 - 30. Just go easy on yourself, don't beat yourself up anymore - STOP IT - and be proud you didn't gain more. Don't worry about a pouch reset. Just go back to basics. It may not come off as fast this time but it WILL come off if you use your sleeve the way it is intended to be used. Just be kind to yourself, be proud of yourself, listen to your body, and you will get there.

Take care and good luck!!"

I hope this information helps anyone else in the boat we've all been in. Another thing you can do is go back and read your old posts you wrote when you felt awesome about the weight you were losing. Just seeing the words that came from your mind and finger tips about how great you felt will motivate you to want to feel that way again - or at least it did for me. It reminded me of what I did to get there and gave me the motivation and confidence I needed to know that I will again.

Again, I'm so glad people are being helped by my posts. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. It's therapeutic for me to get it all out. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me. I may have regained, but I did lose 118lbs and am a veteran. I'm always here to help.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, LLS. Welcome back.

Glad you posted about this.

If you don't mind considering this question, what changes did you make in your eating and exercising that contributed to to your regain? And what (if any) influences or events in your life encouraged you to make those behavioral changes or discouraged you from eating/exercising as you had intended to do?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

25. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/05/2016
    Last Activity
    08-14-2018 02:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Everything happens, just keep going. You'll manage it, it was very hard for me too, but with the help of my family, I became stronger!
    So don't give up!!

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Earl Noyan
    Last Activity
    09-05-2020 09:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 320 Times

Thanks for posting this and your honesty. I too have gained around 40 + pounds. I had the sleeve done in 2014. My highest weight was 286. I got down to 210 now I am around 241. I had joined WW again also but then gave up from frustration. My weight gain came from carbs, candy, lack of exercise, emotional eating, all the above. Tomorrow I am going for a follow up with a bariatric doctor. The one who did my first surgery no longer carries my insurance. I just wanted to put this out there. I have to get back on track, back to basics as everyone was saying.

29. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast