Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    07-18-2018 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Beginning to doubt VSG

That's all very nice, thank you!

I guess my frustration is that I don't know, or can't tell, if I'm "getting the hang of it". Nothing I do seems to make a difference, so I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm doing everything right, and to your point, everyone's advice is different. Some people say eat at least 60g of carbs. Other people say never eat above 50g of carbs. Neither approach seems to work for me. How do you learn when you can't see results, no matter what you do?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you give us an example of what a typical day of eating is for you?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    Can you give us an example of what a typical day of eating is for you?
    Sure... so I am about 7 weeks post-op...

Breakfast: One egg with a slice of low-fat cheese
    Morning Snack: Decaf coffee with 1/2 protein shake mixed in and one piece of light string cheese
    Lunch: About 3/4 cup of mixed lentils and wild rice, with about a tablespoon of curry sauce
    Snack: One small apple with one wedge of Laughing Cow light
    Dinner: 3 oz grilled chicken
    Snack: One pouch of unsweetened applesauce

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Do you log your food in MFP?
    I was just wondering how many protein this is.
    This is the time, where you have to work up to your daily requirement of protein.
    I'm not sure how much that is for you?
    What does it say in your instructions?

Although appelsauce is very jummy, there is not 1 gram of protein in.
    Mix lentils and rice: ditto.
    The lentils provide just a little bit of protein and rice no protein at all.

For now: focus on your protein.
    Protein first, and your water.
    After you have met your protein goals, you can start to add vegetables.
    After that you can start to add complex carbs, but by that time you will be a couple of months further out.
    But still the number one rule is: proteins first, then your veggies, than your carbs.

Good luck!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Actually, lentils have a fair bit of protein, and wild rice actually has protein too. It isn't as much as I would get from meat, though... you are right about that. Most days I hit at least 60g of protein in a day. The menu above, I got my daily protein from the half a protein shake, the chicken, the cheeses, egg, and lentils/rice. Do you think that 60-70g of protein a day is too low? (70g is my surgeon's recommendation...)

I do log in MFP.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Just to shake things up a little, look what happens, when you focus on proteins and veggies.
    I am currently still at around 100 grams a day.
    It could give you the kickstart you are looking for.

This is the time to find out, what works for YOU.
    That differs from person to person.
    Fill your sleeve with protein and if you have room, some veggies.
    And drink enough, at least 64 ounces.

That would be my recommendation.
    But maybe some else has a better idea?

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Listen to DutchSleeve. What they are saying is EXACTLY what you should be doing. You need to eat your protein first, then veggies. Starches is last on the list in this phase and rice is definitely not something I would have even thought of putting on my plate in your phase.
    There is one thing you said that is a red flag for me. You said you are able to eat more to get to the level of discomfort. If you are eating to the level of discomfort, you are overeating. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, and I mean never ever overeat. There is a point at which we all have a level of fullness where we suddenly just know we're done. That is not to the level of discomfort. This early on, your stomach is still healing. Eating to the level of discomfort might be part of your problem.
    Also, I cannot stress this more and I say this from experience because it about drove me nuts: DO NOT compare yourself to others. This is your journey and it is different from everyone else's. Some people drop weight like crazy in the beginning and some don't. Almost everyone stalls at week 3 and that stall can last 2 - 3 weeks depending on your body. This is all about your body and your journey. No one is the same. Just because you aren't losing fast now doesn't mean you won't start to pick up the pace. Or maybe your body is just built so that you lose slowly. BUT - you're losing. That's what is important. You're succeeding. Comparing your results to others will drive you nuts though because it will make you wonder if your sleeve isn't working or if there is something wrong with you. It's hard, I know. Trust me, I have been there. I used to read other posts and think "How the hell are they doing it so fast? Why am I not losing like that? What if my doctor didn't remove enough of my stomach? What if I stretched it already? What if this doesn't work for me because I am supposed to be losing what they are but I'm not?". I think we've all been there in one way or another. It's toxic and will make you doubt yourself. Look at your achievements. Be proud of yourself. You made a permanent change and, regardless of what other people are doing, you ARE losing weight. Almost everyone goes through a period of "buyer's remorse" at the beginning. All of what you are feeling is totally normal. Just stop comparing, stop worrying, do NOT eat to the point of discomfort, and focus on protein first, then veggies, and if you have any room left over for a complex carb then eat that last. Find out what your fullness indicator feels like and do not eat past it. For me, it was hiccups. It still is. When I'm full I get hiccups. It's actually kind of funny. Now I try to stop before the hiccups because I learned to know when they are coming. I'm not always successful.
    I hope this information is helpful. Take care and be patient. This WILL work. Just find out what works for YOUR body, make a plan for yourself, work the plan and change as necessary depending on the results. Be persistent and be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Listen to DutchSleeve. What they are saying is EXACTLY what you should be doing. You need to eat your protein first, then veggies. Starches is last on the list in this phase and rice is definitely not something I would have even thought of putting on my plate in your phase.
    There is one thing you said that is a red flag for me. You said you are able to eat more to get to the level of discomfort. If you are eating to the level of discomfort, you are overeating. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, and I mean never ever overeat. There is a point at which we all have a level of fullness where we suddenly just know we're done. That is not to the level of discomfort. This early on, your stomach is still healing. Eating to the level of discomfort might be part of your problem.
    Also, I cannot stress this more and I say this from experience because it about drove me nuts: DO NOT compare yourself to others. This is your journey and it is different from everyone else's. Some people drop weight like crazy in the beginning and some don't. Almost everyone stalls at week 3 and that stall can last 2 - 3 weeks depending on your body. This is all about your body and your journey. No one is the same. Just because you aren't losing fast now doesn't mean you won't start to pick up the pace. Or maybe your body is just built so that you lose slowly. BUT - you're losing. That's what is important. You're succeeding. Comparing your results to others will drive you nuts though because it will make you wonder if your sleeve isn't working or if there is something wrong with you. It's hard, I know. Trust me, I have been there. I used to read other posts and think "How the hell are they doing it so fast? Why am I not losing like that? What if my doctor didn't remove enough of my stomach? What if I stretched it already? What if this doesn't work for me because I am supposed to be losing what they are but I'm not?". I think we've all been there in one way or another. It's toxic and will make you doubt yourself. Look at your achievements. Be proud of yourself. You made a permanent change and, regardless of what other people are doing, you ARE losing weight. Almost everyone goes through a period of "buyer's remorse" at the beginning. All of what you are feeling is totally normal. Just stop comparing, stop worrying, do NOT eat to the point of discomfort, and focus on protein first, then veggies, and if you have any room left over for a complex carb then eat that last. Find out what your fullness indicator feels like and do not eat past it. For me, it was hiccups. It still is. When I'm full I get hiccups. It's actually kind of funny. Now I try to stop before the hiccups because I learned to know when they are coming. I'm not always successful.
    I hope this information is helpful. Take care and be patient. This WILL work. Just find out what works for YOUR body, make a plan for yourself, work the plan and change as necessary depending on the results. Be persistent and be kind to yourself. You deserve it.
    My surgeon does allow complex carbs at this stage, so wild rice, which has decent protein for a complex carb, falls within their guidelines. I had wanted to get back to whole food, plant based, but I think that's just not realistic at this stage, so I am rolling it back to basically pretending I'm on a lower-fat version of Atkins. I should also clarify that I don't typically eat to discomfort - but I did a few times as I was learning how things feel with my new stomach. I take small bites, and chew until it's basically a puree, and have come to be able to tell when I've had enough. I don't get the hiccups, really, though. That might make it a little easier, if I did!

I appreciate all that you've said. I don't, at this point, feel this is going to work for me... just being honest. I am going to call my surgeon's office today and ask for a BMR analysis. While gastric surgery works for many people, there ARE some people it does NOT work for. I just heard a podcast the other day about a woman who had three separate WLS procedures, lost about 20 lbs from each, and then stopped losing. She finally found out that she had a severe BMR problem that was not going to allow her to lose weight except on a crazy low number of calories per day. Maybe that's my issue too. Who knows. At this point it is just less disappointing to try to focus on the fact that I am at least no WORSE off than I was before. If it ends up working, great. If it doesn't, I at least have a physical means of controlling the amount of damage I can do if I binge on bad foods - I didn't have that before.

I also am going to the support group at my surgeon's office. This whole process has definitely shed some light on issues I didn't know I had. (And I knew I had SOME issues... I just never would have thought I'm such a control freak about food!)

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

You do what you think is best.
    I wish you all the best.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Best on your journey
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

My surgeon took me off carbs pre op so cutting those in favor of protein might be helpful. You might also try a heavier exercise routine focusing on weights and core exercises. Weight lifting does damage to your muscle fibers so your body grabs protein and nutrients to repair the little tears and build muscle. My doc prescribes 3 30-40 min light weight workouts a week.

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Thanks all! I do appreciate all the advice. After reading everyone's comments, I have already gone "back to basics" on my food, refocusing on protein first and reducing my carbs again. I'm going to the gym this week for light weights, regardless of what Dr. Vuong said. I had my partner hide the scale (WELL, this time). I also made a spreadsheet from My Fitness Pal and analyzed it six ways from Sunday, and the one thing it proves to me is that I am not doing anything wrong. On average, my "good" loss periods are about the same as this giant stall I've been on, from the perspective of calories and other macros. So it doesn't seem to be anything I'M doing, which proves out what everyone is saying, that it's out of my control, not my fault, and it will pass.

It's just hard. I psyched myself up for this major, life changing event, and all that's really changed is that I'm more frustrated and more disappointed. I never believed that WLS would be a cure-all - I knew it would always take work to get to my goal weight, but I admit, I did think the first few months would be a nice weight loss boost that I wouldn't have to work too hard for.

One thing is certain, anyone who says weight loss surgery is the easy way is a doofus. There is nothing easy about this!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope81 View Post
    My surgeon took me off carbs pre op so cutting those in favor of protein might be helpful. You might also try a heavier exercise routine focusing on weights and core exercises. Weight lifting does damage to your muscle fibers so your body grabs protein and nutrients to repair the little tears and build muscle. My doc prescribes 3 30-40 min light weight workouts a week.
    Definitely doing this this week. I had listened to the Dr. Vuong video about how you shouldn't go to the gym in the first few months post-op, but I'm going to give it a try. I had upped my cardio, but not weights. Have you found at all that your hunger has reinitiated, or increased, since you started back to the gym? Pre-op, I tended to eat back all the calories (and then some) I lost at the gym because working out made me so hungry - I'm kinda worried about that.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBee View Post
    Definitely doing this this week. I had listened to the Dr. Vuong video about how you shouldn't go to the gym in the first few months post-op, but I'm going to give it a try. I had upped my cardio, but not weights. Have you found at all that your hunger has reinitiated, or increased, since you started back to the gym? Pre-op, I tended to eat back all the calories (and then some) I lost at the gym because working out made me so hungry - I'm kinda worried about that.
    I'm actually banned from doing cardio since I lost 17 pounds in the two weeks post op. My big problem is actually getting the food he wants me to eat in. I'm on 3 protein shakes 3 small meals a day soft foods(had full liquids first two weeks). I'm almost never hungry. If you are it's probably needing more protein and cutting out carbs and sugar.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope81 View Post
    I'm actually banned from doing cardio since I lost 17 pounds in the two weeks post op. My big problem is actually getting the food he wants me to eat in. I'm on 3 protein shakes 3 small meals a day soft foods(had full liquids first two weeks). I'm almost never hungry. If you are it's probably needing more protein and cutting out carbs and sugar.
    The only time I've really been hungry is when I'm PMSing, and I'm pretty sure that's just psychological. I'm not having any issues getting the food in, though. For the past couple weeks, I've averaged between 800-1000 calories, 60+ protein, around 64g carbs (he wanted me to have at least 60), and under 35g fat. I don't have any issues, aside from that I do feel like I'm always having meals, and when you aren't supposed to drink before, during, or after meals, for a time, it's hard to get your hydration in. That's the main area where I feel I'm struggling. I feel like I always have SOMEthing in my mouth. LOL.

I just heard Dr. Vuong say that going to the gym would sabotage your weight loss, and his logic made some sense, so I hadn't been back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast